Forums
Ventana Wilderness Forums • View topic - Boronda Trail

Boronda Trail

Re: Boronda Trail (Plus Reward if Lost Camera Lens is found)

Postby LoveViews on Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:58 am

Date Hiked: April 22, 2012
General Condition: Clear (no obstacles and tread well defined)

Sorry this is a bit late.

Trail was clear and lovely all the way to the top.

Scattered lupine with an occasional splash of poppies.

At top, watching stars after sunset
an Owl came to investigate me,
then must have realized I was too big a meal
and veered off.

Reward: I lost a Camera Lens at Timber Top (April 21).
Lens is not worth much maybe $90,
but it has sentimental value for me.

If you find it -- I will be happy to give a
fine art photographic print
from my InspiringLandscapes.com

Thank you,
-David
LoveViews

Re: Boronda Trail

Postby K Vandevere on Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:09 am

Date Hiked: August 20, 2011

Only some ankle brushing deerweed keeps this from being a Wilderness Freeway. No deadfalls or obstacles of any kind. The use trail bypassing the thistles near the oaks has pretty much become the main trail. It even looks like someone has done some treadwork on it. Further up, equestrians have created another bypass trail to avoid a section with overhead branches too low for riders - although plenty of headroom still for hikers. Fog on the coast kept temperatures mild even on the top. Lots of California fuchsia blooming everywhere. No flies.
K Vandevere

Postby Amy L on Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:48 pm

Date Hiked: November 11, 2010

The trail is in great condition and easy to follow. The October 2010 rains caused the grass to sprout, so things are green already. The only obstacle is the patch of dead milk thistle in grove of oaks at ~1480 elevation, which is easily bypassed on a use trail to the west of the tress.

James Yurchenco
Amy Lauterbach
Amy L

Postby K Vandevere on Sun May 16, 2010 10:51 am

Date Hiked: May 15, 2010

So much grass is growing in the tread on the upper portion of this trail that it can't currently be called a Wilderness Freeway - although that will soon change as the grass dries out and gets trampled down. Owl's Clover, Sky Lupine, Silver Lupine, Stinging Lupine, Yellow Bush Lupine, Yarrow, Wood Mint, Stinging Phacelia, Sticky Monkey Flower, California Poppy, Globe Lily, Paintbrush, Spanish Bayonet, Tomcat Clover, Blue Dicks, Black Sage, Chia, Morning Glory, and much, much more blooming in profusion.
K Vandevere

Boronda Trail

Postby mikesplain on Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:52 pm

Date Hiked: February 13, 2010
General Condition: Wilderness Freeway (Heavily used and well maintained)

The Boronda Trail (aka Separation Road) is wide open & easily hiked to Timber Top,
assuming you don't mind the 19% average grade.
A minimal amount of deadfall has to be circumvented in the lowest live oak grove,
but staying on the grassy ridge top (to the west?) makes for better walking & views anyway.
Having never seen another soul on this trail,
was surprised to pass 4 or 5 couples on the descent back to highway 1.
Perhaps the economic recession has lead to cheaper Valentines' dates?
Most of this route burned in the Gallery-Basin Complex & is recovering nicely-
a bumper crop of milk maids (Cardamine californica) & miners lettuce (Claytonia perfoliata) covers the shadier hillsides,
with quite a few baby blue eyes (Nemophila menziesii) amongst them,
silver lupine (Lupinus albifrons?) & poppy (Eschscholzia californica) in the rocky spots
& even a few owl clover (Castilleja exserta?) & sky lupine (Lupinus nanus) in the open grasslands.
Big Sur appears to be headed for an excellent spring bloom.
Attachments
south coast from Timber Top.jpg
looking south from Timber Top
Double Cone from Coast Ridge.jpg
looking NE toward Kandlbinder Peak, the Window & Ventana Double Cone from the Coast Ridge
mikesplain

Hwy 1 to Coast Ridge Rd via Boronda Trail

Postby davidp on Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:56 pm

Date Hiked: January 11, 2010

I won't declare this Wilderness Freeway because it doesn't seem to be used too often. But, the trail is very easy to follow and quite beautiful the entire way. I saw two RVs and port a potties set up at Timber Top camp - maybe it was park employees in for the long haul? Looked as if they had set up residence. From there I moved south to check out Cold Springs Camp and then descend the De Angulo Trail. It is a nice loop and just a mile or less back to the car at Boronda along Hwy 1. Deetjen's delicious blueberry pancakes propelled me up the hill.
davidp

Postby Guest on Sat Jul 04, 2009 3:56 pm

Date Hiked: June 6, 2009

This hike was so steep it made me want to gouge my eyeballs out with a grapefruit spoon.

Boronda Trail Conditions History

Postby Site Administrator on Thu May 07, 2009 4:36 pm

Date Hiked: May 16, 2007
General Condition: Wilderness Freeway (Heavily used and/or well maintained)

Conditions reported by: Steven S.
Survey date: 16-MAY-2007
General: WILDERNESS FREEWAY
Specific:

Mostly Wilderness Freeway, two downed oak trees that you must go around at one point. Plenty steep enough to get your attention. Also the trailhead on Highway 1 is not marked. Look for an old wooden cattle chute/corral across the road from a tall wooden fence 0.5 miles north of the Torre Canyon Bridge.
===========
Conditions reported by: Adam W
Survey date: 1-JANUARY-2007
General: CLEAR
Specific:

Section: Coast Highway to Timber Top

All clear except for a large oak limb (about 1' diameter) that seems to have fallen in the recent storms about 1.5 miles up the trail. About 90% of the trail is on grassland so it is in little danger of obstruction or overgrowth.
===========
Conditions reported by: Jim Ryan
Survey date: 1-JANUARY-2007
Specific:

Conditions: Excellent

Three of us hiked up from the Coast Highway. As mentioned in other/earlier reports the trail is steep is spots. The pluses are, aside from an excellent aerobic hike, the number of stunning views of the mountains and the sea are exceptional. Additionally, we were treated to a number of interesting birds along the trail.

As we approached the summit, we observed some cisterns and a water tank. The tank was labelled, "Non Potable." The water we found in the cisterns did not appear to be drinkable.

I would recommend hiking poles for this trail. The descent is very steep on the Boronda trail. In fact, one member of our party was heard to remark that this is the first time he "broke out in sweat" on a downhill.

All in all, a great hike with drop-dead views. Perfect for your New Year's Resolutions.
===========
Conditions reported by: EW
Survey date: 20-MAR-2004
Specific:

As long as you can find either end of this abandoned dozer grade / jeep road, it's smooth sailing. An old side road leaves Coast Ridge Road at a saddle between Timber Top and an un-named peak to the south. Walk up a draw, cross it and climb to the left, traverse the upper reaches of Laffler Canyon and brace yourself for a steep descent over open terrain with fantastic ocean views all the way to Cape San Martin.

From Highway 1, a dilapidated stock fence just north of Torre Canyon Bridge marks the lower trailhead. When we were there a sign (dated 11/28/03) warned of "3 loose Blank Angus Bulls spotted on the meadows above".

I wouldn't advise this one for anyone with knee problems, trekking poles are a real help on the descent; also wouldn't recommend ascending this one on a sunny day, no water, no shade and about a 30 degree gradient would make it a real toil.
===========
Conditions reported by: Gary Auth
Survey date: 3-DEC-2003
Specific:

Section: Coast Ridge Road to Hwy. 1

We did a loop hike on this sunny December day: up from Highway 1 to the coast ridge road via the DeAngulo Trail then back down via the Boronda Trail. The Boronda starts approximately 3/4 to a mile north of where the DeAngulo intersects the CRR. Look for a road cut that takes off to the north on the west side of the CRR. There are some faded orange ribbons hanging from the limbs indicating you're going the right way. Little has changed on the trail since Boon's report of February, 1999. Some steep sections but the tread is well defined, although gulleyed from recent rains. The coastline views south from the grassy ridges are spectacular and well worth the effort of this loop trip.
===========
Conditions reported by: Boon Hughey
Survey date: February, 1999
Specific:
The entire length of the Boronda Trail is actually an old roadcut, so the "tread" is very well defined. I encountered no brush at all. The toughest part about this trail is its steepness, which makes it laborious on the way up and punishing on the way down.
Site Administrator
Site Admin

Boronda Trail

Postby Site Administrator on Thu May 07, 2009 4:35 pm

* USFS trail #
* Parking: Hwy 1 north of Torre Canyon
* Watersheds: Lafler Canyon, Torre Canyon
* Junctions: Coast Ridge Road
* Connects: Hwy 1 with Coast Ridge Road at Timber Top
* Camps: Timber Top (dry camp)
Site Administrator
Site Admin