Forums
Ventana Wilderness Forums • View topic - Big Sur Trail

Big Sur Trail

Re: Big Sur Trail

Postby jack_glendening on Sun Jun 14, 2015 9:10 pm

Date Hiked: June 13, 2015
General Condition: Passable (some brush and/or deadfalls, tread evident)

This report is only for the western end of the Big Sur Trail. to Rainbow Camp.

Trailcrews led by Betsy MacGowan and Maria Ferdin have now cleared all trees from Cold Spring Camp to the ridge west of Mocho Camp, making the western end of the Big Sur Trail "Clear". Between there and Rainbow Camp, trail varies between "Difficult" and "Passable", with downed trees or brush pushing people off trail resulting in numerous bypass use trails, some large enough that its connection back to the actual trail is not apparent. Those use trails can be misleading (I lost the trail twice) so route finding is necessary.

Jack
Big Sur Trailmap: http://bigsurtrailmap.net
jack_glendening

Postby fat popi on Sat Jun 13, 2015 8:35 am

Date Hiked: June 8, 2015
General Condition: Difficult (brushy and/or many deadfalls, faint tread)

Have one silky saw. :) il get it back to u somehow soon. My crew fell apart and it ended up just being me with a helper. We did what we could from redwood camp to the ridge separating the 2 valleys. Boy,that side of the big sur trail is narl. It was a battle and is very sloppy work,il admit that,but its open,2ft min on each side of trail till about 100yrds from the ridgetop. Il be going back in 10 days(I have to work this wek) and attacking the trail again fron the pine ridge side.
The work(9 hr days,X3) was exhusting. Sloppy. I will fix the sloppinrs on next trip,the importsnt thing now is to have the trail OPEN,at this point,I would consider this trail CLOSED from the cineaga to southfork. Or as the sign says"dont go!"
Having gone to ghe warm springs at cineaga last year twice,I cant believe how fast and wicked this trail got overgrown!
Betsy,il email u this week. Hope that we get this trail open by august. The pico blanco and then bring back mt manual!
fat popi

Postby Betsy M on Fri Jun 05, 2015 3:25 pm

Date Hiked: May 9, 2015
General Condition: Clear (no obstacles and tread well defined)

Hi Fat Popi,
I am missing THREE Silky saws, so if you found one let me know. Or you could just leave right at the trailhead since we will be heading back. Description: red handle.
Could you share your email address so we could discuss technique? We hope to get everyone on the same page with regards to lopping. Since you do a lot of brushing and also removing logs, we hope to share some tips. You can email me separately, just send to the email address associated with this trail report.
Thanks for all the work, and all the timely reports.
Betsy
Betsy M

Postby fat popi on Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:06 am

Date Hiked: May 26, 2015
General Condition: Passable (some brush and/or deadfalls, tread evident)

Spent the holiday on big sur trail from cold springs to Mocho camp. Trail is very open to the ridge before mocha,aftr that some nice over,unders and slumping between the ridge and mocha. Trail is really coming together aftrr the car camping crew came thru. I finished the blue blossom looping right before cisco creek crossing.
on side note,I found a saw on the trail,ifbits urs,contact me here for return of saw.
im heading back out this week with buddies on a vision quest and we hope to lop,clear from Ciniega to mocha. Should have that trail compleatly clear by next weekend.
cheers
fat popi

Postby CoreyandMelissa on Mon May 25, 2015 9:30 am

Date Hiked: May 23, 2015
General Condition: Impassable (completely overgrown or tread obliterated)

We hiked this trail on May 25, 2015 and the trail was completely overgrown and un-maintained. I advise anyone who is thinking of taking this route to choose an alternate route. The hike took us all day with ~8 miles of bushwacking through poison oak with many tick sightings. I would definitely classify this route as impassible and would strongly advise against taking this trail until it is more maintained.
CoreyandMelissa

Postby fat popi on Thu May 07, 2015 3:36 pm

Date Hiked: May 7, 2015

My partner and me used this trail to hike out from big sur river, I was not able to do much work this time.. trail is in about the same condition as my last report, sslow but thevroute is evident, head down and push thru!
fat popi

Postby runcyclegirl on Wed May 06, 2015 12:32 am

Date Hiked: May 3, 2015

Betsy MacGowan and I scout hiked the Big Sur Trail on Sunday in preparation for a VWA/FS work trip this coming weekend.
This report is for the section between Cold Spring Camp and Mocho Camp.

Approximately one mile of trail is clear and free of brush- the result of work completed in 2014 (blue, photo below) and from a recent trip in April of this year (red). However, there are 18+ trees down along Logwood Ridge and 40+ trees down on the section between Devil's Staircase and Mocho Camp. The hike was a full body workout with a mix of trees ranging in the 4 to 12 inch range. There are several large trees including one after the final crossing of Cisco Creek going to Mocho Camp. Hiking in this direction, a traveler with a full pack will have some difficulty getting over this tree (photo below). Hopefully, our upcoming trip will clear most of these obstructions. As we will have a very nice complement of volunteers including certified sawyers, we have reason to be optimistic :D

Brush-wise, ceanothus and deerweed dominate especially along Devil's Staircase down to Cisco Creek. The brush is tall and productive and nearly interlocking. AND there are ticks, much more than I expected to encounter. I had to stop often to brush them off my pants and my shirt. The trail from Cisco Creek to Mocho Camp is in good condition with considerably less brush. The section toward the saddle on the way to Mocho looked recently brushed and the tread was nicely exposed with less obstruction otherwise- thanks Fat Popi.

We hope to get the trail clear of brush and obstructions from where we ended in April to Cisco Creek. This also includes all the trees along Logwood Ridge and a couple of big trees beyond Cisco Creek. Our goal this year is to make the trail stock passable to Rainbow Camp for overnight trips and continue restoration of the Big Sur Trail. If you would like to join the effort, we have plenty of loppers :-)

You can find us at: http://www.meetup.com/Ventana-Wildernes ... ce-Meetup/

Maria Ferdin

Cold Spring Work 2.jpg
Big Sur Trail- work completed so far.

2015-05-03_13-45-00_945.jpg
Large tree (18 inches +) on the uphill climb from Cisco Creek on the way to Mocho Camp.
Me climbing between limbs. This would be a challenge to get over with a full pack.
Photo by B. MacGowan.

2015-05-03_13-45-20_122.jpg
On top of the tree, brushing off ants!!
Photo by B. MacGowan.

IMG_2984.JPG
Big tree in the middle of Mocho Camp.

IMG_2993.JPG
Plenty of water in Mocho Creek and also Cisco Creek.
runcyclegirl

Postby fat popi on Thu Apr 23, 2015 12:54 pm

Date Hiked: April 20, 2015

I hiked over for the holiday from partington ridge,this trail needs lots of work. I worked for a day on the section fron the creek crossing to the ridge before Mocho,10 hours of loping and chopping. Still weeks of work to do. Get out there folks!

Editor note: the Big Sur Trail is under active VWA restoration, with many upcoming VWA trailwork outings: http://www.meetup.com/Ventana-Wildernes ... ce-Meetup/
fat popi

Postby Megan Caldwell on Tue Mar 31, 2015 2:21 pm

Date Hiked: February 2, 2015

Big Sur Trail between Pine Ridge and Coast Ridge Road is heavily overgrown with brush and has quite a few fallen trees and slides. We were able to complete the loop, but it was VERY slow progress and there were many times that we had to double back and search for the trail. Inexperienced hikers or those not in very good physical condition should not attempt this route.
Megan Caldwell

"Don't Go"

Postby HikerFriend on Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:15 am

Date Hiked: March 17, 2015

Group of five hiked from the Sykes Hot Springs up the Pine Ridge trail until the turnoff onto the Big Sur trail. Someone had written "Don't Go" on the sign but we ignored that. We should have listened to it.
The trail is completely overgrown and easily losable. For miles I hiked with my forearms up over my face as the only way to travel was to push through six-foot tall plants with branches all over the trail. Poison oak is abundant and must be crawled/pushed through to get through obstacles. Ticks hang on the plants.
Reached Rainbow Camp after about seven grueling hours to hike around five miles. There was an extremely difficult uphill section (that might be the Devil's Staircase) that took about 2 hours to complete despite it being only about a mile long. Rainbow Camp is in good shape and is right next to the river, so that was pleasant.
The next day we pushed through the rest of the Big Sur trail to get to Cold Creek Camp, which is also in good shape. The trail was less overgrown here but several landslides have taken out sections of the trail, requiring a bit of thinking to maneuver around. Many, many logs to go over or crawl under. Less poison oak and ticks but more head-level branch obstacles.
Would not recommend this trail for anyone but very experienced and very fit hikers, preferably with machetes and a lot of Calamine lotion.
HikerFriend

PreviousNext

Return to Ventana Wilderness Trails