Forums
Ventana Wilderness Forums • View topic - Arroyo Seco Trail

Arroyo Seco Trail

Re: Arroyo Seco Trail

Postby Alan French on Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:40 pm

Date Hiked: August 18, 2012
General Condition: Clear (no obstacles and tread well defined)

I agree with the earlier report. Water still runs. Beyond junction with Rodeo Flat Trail appears just barely passable.
Alan French

Arroyo Seco Trail

Postby AdamW on Wed May 02, 2012 6:35 pm

Date Hiked: April 29, 2012
General Condition: Passable (some brush and/or deadfalls, tread evident)

A fellowship of wilderness stewards hiked from Indians Guard Station/ Memorial Park to Forks Camp.

Heavy brush (mainly deer weed and Ceanothus spp) in some sections and about 6 deadfalls. Otherwise a nice trail with evidence of some good design.

The Rodeo Flats Trail junction is still well marked by the small minimalistic sign that looks like this: (I didn't take a photo)

|----------------|
­­
Big Sur >

< Cone Peak

|----------------|

The secondary use trail currently flagged with pink tape near the first river crossing is probably not worth using because it leads you straight into a poison oak patch.
AdamW

Postby Betsy M on Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:03 pm

Date Hiked: March 11, 2012
General Condition: Clear (no obstacles and tread well defined)

A small group of VWA volunteers, including one who hiked up from the bottom, cleared the huge piles of fallen trees/branches/brush that had been blocking the top of the Arroyo Seco Trail. This builds on the efforts of Robert Parks who led trips from below, to remove brush and fallen trees above Madrone Camp. There is still a fair amount of brush, especially at the bottom of the trail, and a couple of smaller blowdowns remain, but the problematic section at the top is now passable. Thank you VWA volunteers Dan and Morgan S. for your hard work and dedication!
after sized.jpg
logs cut sized.jpg
Betsy M

Postby Rob on Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:42 pm

Date Hiked: January 8, 2012
General Condition: Difficult (brushy and/or many deadfalls, faint tread)

Hiked from Coast Ridge trail down to the trailhead near Memorial Park today. The brush was significantly better than last time; looked like someone had been working on the upper section. There were a lot of blowdowns on the upper section as well, but many have been "trimmed", making going easier. Nonetheless, there were a lot of places to climb over & under trees, which would be difficult for someone with a large pack. Some fairly short sections of brush still, but it was far better than the last time I hiked this way.

The prolonged dry spell we've had was evident in the creek crossings: all were easy rock-hops.

The lower section of trail also had some larger blowdowns -- one just before Madrone camp, and another after the last crossing, not far from the trailhead.

I think for the seasoned Ventana hiker this trail is probably "passable", but for others it will be difficult.
Rob

Postby rachelmetoo on Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:18 pm

Date Hiked: June 22, 2011

Wednesday June 22nd, after hiking Carizzo to Coast Ridge met the Arroyo Seco trail, brush and fallen trees were very difficult with backpack on and stooped/crawled/climbed for much of the first mile, completely lost the trail at some point after the one mile mark where the trail opens back up in high desert type terrain....was able to see the trail at some point and tediously figure a way through the gullies back down to it, but not fun at all! Once back on this section of trail just South of Madrone the trail was well maintained again, Yay!! I agree with the previous post, difficult to impassable on the mile mile and a half section South of Madrone heading towards Coast Ridge!

An add on to my previous post is that I lost my camera somewhere in this section of my hike, either when I was "lost" off trail of just after I reconnected! If any one magicly finds it I would love to get it back, its in a small army green case, and has many pics of my trip and a few of me as well, please look for it..... .
rachelmetoo

Postby Dan Heaston on Mon May 16, 2011 2:15 pm

Date Hiked: May 15, 2011

Party of two, Saturday 14th attempted a loop starting from Arroyo Seco Trail at Indians Rd, to Carrizo Trail N/E end.
Planned to stay overnight at Cook Spring but ended up an in and out hike to Madrone Camp due to overgrown trail.

We passed several small groups of day hikers on the way in, including one fisherman who had caught a nice +12" long Brown trout..it was a beauty.

The Arroyo Seco trail to from the Indians to Madrone Camp: good condition.
Trail is well traveled and has good tread with a few small slide areas and minimal brush encroaching.
Quite a bit of poison oak on the trail.

Madrone Camp to North Coast Ridge Trail : Difficult to impassable.
First 3/4 mile up is clear and has good tread.
The last 1/2 mile was very overgrown with several difficult tree crossings and was rough going with backpacks on despite recent brush clearing efforts.
We ended up turning back where the recent clearing efforts ended as the brush was nearly impassable. My small hand pruners were no match for most of the large brush across the trail, will be bringing a folding saw on my next trip in. With rain blowing in, and not knowing the condition of North Coast Ridge Trail we felt it was safer to head back to Madrone camp for the night.

Forks Camp, Lower Madrone Camp and Upper Madrone Camp were all clean / clear and in good shape. There was a group of 4 hikers camping at Lower Madrone Camp.

I should have read the trail reports on Ventannawild.org before going.
Based on what I read after getting home we were about 10-15 minutes from reaching North Coast Ridge Trail which is clear according to recent reports.
The upside is we had a easy hike out on Sunday morning. I suspect navigating through heavy brush with fresh snow on it would have been unpleasant at best, so it all turned out good.

Thank you to everyone who contributes to these reports, they are an great resource.
Dan
Dan Heaston

Postby Ted Merrill on Sat Apr 23, 2011 5:18 pm

Date Hiked: April 18, 2011

Starting from Indians, the Arroy Seco Trail was actually in quite good shape (a few small trees down) until the last mile before the top of the ridge.
The last mile before the top of the ridge had encroaching brush require pushing and even shoving or crawling in places.
My buddy Shahe and I spent about an hour cutting brush which helped some, but eventually we needed to go.
If someone would spend half a day cutting brush it would make a huge difference... even another hour would help a lot.
The other problem with the last mile is that there were a large number of down trees, which required some difficult crawl-overs in places... a day or two of work with two man saws would really help.
Shahe and I both made it through with backpacks on and so probably could you.

If you are just going to Madrone camp then you won't have (most of) these problems.
I should mention that there are two camps mentioned as "Madrone camp", so let's just call them Lower and Upper Madrone camps.
The upper one is the one on the map; the lower one is probably the better campsite, and is certainly much larger, having the capacity for a number of groups.

If you get motivated to do some trail work, may i suggest the purchase of a small Corona brand pruning saw. These saws are quite sharp and stay that way, are lightweight, and fold up to fit into your pants pocket etc. Please try to cut the brush at the BASE of the plant since dead stalks sticking up make it much harder for the next trail worker.

-Ted Merrill
Ted Merrill

Postby MikeZ on Sat Apr 16, 2011 3:28 am

Date Hiked: April 11, 2011
General Condition: Impassable (completely overgrown or tread obliterated)

Attempted to hike this trail from the Coast Ridge to Indians as part of a four day backpacking trip. Trail junction was marked (but in disrepair). Trail itself was overgrown with brush and tread was difficult to follow. After crawling for a short distance and making little progress (party of three backpackers) we opted to return to the Coast Ridge Trail and descended Rodeo Flats instead.
MikeZ

Postby Rob on Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:50 pm

Date Hiked: January 23, 2011

I hiked this trail from the Coast Ridge down to the trailhead. Most of it is in good shape, except for the upper, brushy section.

From Coast Ridge to Madrone camp: Passable to Difficult
The worst blowdown was about 5-10 minutes from the trail junction with Coast Ridge trail. After that I pushed through brush and climbed over and through various other large blowdowns until getting to the mid section of the trail where things open up to expansive views. This middle part was actually quite clear and in better shape than I'd ever seen it before. Finally, down through the forested part of the canyon there were a few additional blowdowns but nothing serious.

Madrone Camp to trailhead: Clear to Passable
The creek crossing at Madrone camp was a rock hop. The second creek crossing was also a rock hop. Forks camp looked inviting. Lots of newts running around on the trail from there to the third creek crossing, which was mid-calf and frigid :) Nice sunny day, but chilly in the shade of the canyon.

Great day to be in the Ventana !
Rob

Postby sugg on Tue May 18, 2010 7:07 pm

Date Hiked: May 15, 2010
General Condition: Passable (some brush and/or deadfalls, tread evident)

Traveled this trail from its trail head @ Indians Station to Rodeo Flats Trail, then from the Coast Ridge Trail intersection back down to Indians Station. From the Coast Ridge Trail intersection back to the Indians Station the trail is mostly on a downhill. The length, according to signs, is about 5 miles. It's a little brushy (small oak trees) at the top - first two miles or so - then, at the middle section, the trail opens up to a red-rock type trail which feels like a desert zone - lots of large boulders and rocks - it's great! After the middle zone, you drop down into the "creek" zone - lots of trees, creek right off to your side.... - lots of little bushes, some making it onto the path, others not quite. Getting closer to the Indians Station trail head, there are a lot of swimming holes/ pools in the creek - nothing too deep - 5' at the most.

The brush and deadfalls start at the the top and continue down to the "creek zone" part of the trail. If you have a large pack, you might have troubles through all the brush - you'll get through but it's going to be slow. Water only at the creek area. Most of the deadfalls have worn in routes around them. Great views. At the creek zone, moving towards Indians is mostly clear and uninterrupted.

On one of the adjacent ridges, to the south, about a mile away, there is this huge boulder sitting on the ridge - it looks like it was placed there - it looks like Humpty Dumptyhttp://www.flickr.com/photos/38029403@N03/4617703806/in/set-72157624084143828/

Here's the intersection of Arroyo Seco Trail and Coast Ridge Trail - the following pictures are in order back down to the Indians Stationhttp://www.flickr.com/photos/38029403@N03/4617700642/in/set-72157624084143828/
sugg

PreviousNext

Return to Ventana Wilderness Trails