Forums
Ventana Wilderness Forums • View topic - Backpacking suggestion

Backpacking suggestion

This is the place for general discussion, not specifically related to trails

Moderators: Betsy M, dknapp1

Re: Backpacking suggestion

Postby mikesplain on Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:13 am

Be forewarned that almost ANY loop will involve some bad (at least very brushy) stretches of trail.

The Vicente Flat/Cone Peak area loop proposed below would be much less so, but on any given weekend it will be very crowded & I wouldn't count on finding an unoccupied flat spot at tiny (seriously, TINY) Goat Camp.

The Buckeye Tr>Cruikshank Tr>South Coast Ridge Rd>Salon Creek Tr loop in the Silver Peak Wilderness is pretty clear but also crowded on weekends, although the camps tend to be more spacious. Note that the only access to Highway 1 trailheads for this loop is via Cambria/San Simeon (in other words, from the south).

One Ventana Wilderness loop that should be do-able, albeit with a few downed trees, some brushy stretches & maybe a bit longer than your initial request:
Arroyo Seco-Indians Rd>Marble Peak Tr>Horse Pasture Tr>Tassajara Rd>Pine Ridge Tr>Black Cone Tr>Marble Peak Tr

PS- Anything involving the Puerto Suello Trail or Miller Canyon Trail will be utterly hellish & no guarantee that you'd even make it through.
mikesplain

Postby Sanazestan on Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:45 am

Thanks for the input. :)

jbl wrote:Based on what I know of Puerto Suelo trail and the most recent trail report, I think that this route would not be advisable for what the OP is looking for, I think that something along the lines of the Vicente Flat loop is a lot more practical.
Sanazestan

Postby Sanazestan on Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:43 am

This is a good one, too. Thanks! :)

ConeHead wrote:This one looks easy:

Day 1, from highway 1 up the Vincente Trail toward Cone Peak, then take a left at Vincente Flat on the Stone trail and camp at Goat Camp.
Day 2, east on the gamboa trail, then south to bag Cone Peak. then continue south along the cone peak road, then down the vincent trail to Vincent Flat camp.
Day 3 Hike down to highway 1 ! :)
Sanazestan

Postby Sanazestan on Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:37 am

Thanks! This sounds like a nice one. I'm OK with "difficult."!

Paramour wrote:This should be a good one ! :D

Day 1: Start at Los Padres Dam Hike up the Carmel River to Hiding Camp.
Day 2: up the Puerto Suelo trail to the Ventana Cone trail, continue northwest to Pat's Spring Camp, or Big Pines camp.
Day 3: proceed east along the Big Pines trail to Los Padres Dam

Sure the Puerto trail is listed as "difficult" but how hard could it be, it is only 2.3 miles long. You can take a little difficulty for 2.3 miles right ? :!:
Sanazestan

Postby Sanazestan on Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:34 am

amy patten wrote:FYI most of the Miller Canyon Trail is impassable! I was there in November and the trail quickly disappears. I'd recommend avoiding that area for a thru hike.

Thanks for the heads up!
Sanazestan

Postby jbl on Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:28 pm

Based on what I know of Puerto Suelo trail and the most recent trail report, I think that this route would not be advisable for what the OP is looking for, I think that something along the lines of the Vicente Flat loop is a lot more practical.
jbl

Postby Paramour on Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:12 pm

What do you think of my Hiding camp hike ?
Paramour

Postby amy patten on Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:51 pm

FYI most of the Miller Canyon Trail is impassable! I was there in November and the trail quickly disappears. I'd recommend avoiding that area for a thru hike.
amy patten

Postby Betsy M on Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:36 pm

This request is not for a hike that will result in injury or getting lost, it is a request for an open/passable loop. So let's stop with the suggestions of completely impassible trails, okay?
Betsy M

Postby ConeHead on Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:20 am

This one looks easy:

Day 1, from highway 1 up the Vincente Trail toward Cone Peak, then take a left at Vincente Flat on the Stone trail and camp at Goat Camp.
Day 2, east on the gamboa trail, then south to bag Cone Peak. then continue south along the cone peak road, then down the vincent trail to Vincent Flat camp.
Day 3 Hike down to highway 1 ! :)
ConeHead

Next

Return to Ventana Discussion