Forums
Ventana Wilderness Forums • View topic - Outlaw Camp

Outlaw Camp

This is the place for general discussion, not specifically related to trails

Moderators: Betsy M, dknapp1

Re: Outlaw Camp

Postby mikesplain on Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:39 pm

For the benefit of this discussion, here's a scanned copy of pp. 79-84 of Paul Danielson's "Lost Camps of the Ventana".

OutlawCamp.pdf
(4.89 MiB) Downloaded 55 times

(Note that the western Pine Ridge Trail & Terrace Creek Trail are currently closed.)
mikesplain

Postby daMan on Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:19 pm

I have. If you go across Terrace Creek like you are heading towards Sykes camp and hang a right instead of a left then you are off the Pine Ridge trail and heading toward Outlaw Camp. It is about 2 miles uphill from Terrace Creek camp. Another mile or 2 uphill and you hit a fire road. Head 4 miles down hill and you hit Ventana lodge and highway 1 about a mile or 2 south of the Big Sur Station.
daMan

Postby LJeffers on Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:37 pm

I probably shouldn't attempt to contradict Mike Heard's details on Outlaw Camp, but my sometimes faulty memory paints a picture of a side trail leading east from the Terrace Creek Trail some distance from the actual trail. The trail wasn't visible from the camp. I don't have a picture of the camp itself or recollect whether there was water, but I would presume there was because I don't remember having to walk anywhere to get some. There was probably a table on the flat. I camped at the Outlaw once and remember noting the junction at least one other time. Both occasions would have been before the Marble Cone fire in the mid to late 60's.

Does anyone else have memories of camping at this spot?

Lindsay Jeffers
LJeffers

Postby JPDoelman on Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:12 pm

The outlaw camp shown on the 1939 map see this thing:
http://www.ventanawild.org/news/fall10/ ... -large.gif

Camp number 41.
JPDoelman

Postby Boon on Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:46 am

I believe that Mike has correctly located the camp, but the history of the rather colorful placename is worth keeping alive as well. Jeff Norman told me that the camp was named for an illegal redwood shake and fencepost splitting operation conducted there by the Gilkey brothers, Silas and Sylvester, in the early 1900s. One of them had attempted to homestead the place but never "proved up" on it, making the harvesting of timber products illegal since it remained government-owned land. Interestingly, the Gilkey brothers begat another, similar placename for the ridge that separates the north and south forks of the Big Sur River - Maverick Ridge. Apparently the brothers had another renegade shake splitting operation going on there at one point, in that small grove of redwoods along the Big Sur Trail just below the saddle on the north fork side. Jeff said that when he was riding that area as a USFS backcountry patrolman in the early 1970s, neat stacks of cut redwood shake bolts could be seen below the trail. I've occasionally looked for evidence of them over the years, but to no avail. The '77 Marble Cone Fire likely burned them up.
Boon

Postby C M Heard on Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:15 am

Outlaw Camp is on the Terrace Creek Trail about halfway between Terrace Creek Camp and the trailhead on the North Coast Ridge Road. It is on a small bench across the creek from the trail, about 100 yds above a spring that flows across the trail. There were no camp improvements last time I was there in June 2010.

//cmh
C M Heard

Outlaw Camp

Postby wayne on Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:33 am

Is there a camp called Outlaw? I was looking at a map and I see it on the way to Sykes down a side trail, but my trail book does not have a description. Thanks
wayne

Return to Ventana Discussion