Forums
Ventana Wilderness Forums • View topic - Accessing Ventana

Accessing Ventana

This is the place for general discussion, not specifically related to trails

Moderators: Betsy M, dknapp1

Re: Accessing Ventana

Postby Galyak on Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:40 am

I looked at the map recommended by "86", that shows an access road within Pfieffer state park which parallels southern end of the Mt Manuel trail to a point just south of the open/FS portion of the Manuel trail. ( http://bigsurtrailmap.net/closure_info. ... d_closures )

Seems like you could walk to the end of this road, then bushwack up to the FS boundary? Right?
Galyak

Postby Ausprey on Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:26 am

Sounds like some challenges accessing the northern Ventana from the west. There was not a firm "no" on the "long-ridge" route so maybe that one is still viable, other than that it sounds like access is from way south at the Boronda Trail.
Ausprey

Postby ventanahiker86 on Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:53 am

Please see this useful page on Jack's Big Sur Trail Map website: http://bigsurtrailmap.net/closure_info.html#road_closures It answers many of the questions you pose.
Alladin wrote: - Can I hike in from Pfeiffer State Park along the Mt Manual trail to the summit and beyond ?

Currently, no. Pfeiffer's website states that the Mt Manuel Trail is closed; the beginning of the trail is on state park property.
- Can I drive to the little Sur trailhead along the Old Coast road? If not, can I hike along the old coast road to that trailhead?

No, the Old Coast Rd has closures on both the N and S ends. As for hiking in, this may be possible from the N end of the road but it adds many miles to your hike! The locked gate near the S end cannot be hiked around (if it's the one I'm thinking of).
- Can I hike from the top of Mt. Manual down past post-summit to highway 1 at Molera?

No, because the East Molera Trail remains closed.
- Can I hike down from the top of Mt. Manual down past post summit, the bee-line to Captain Cooper school?

I'd say the answer is no, because there is no real access to Mt Manuel right now.
- Can I drive to Bottchers Gap to start my hike?

No, there is currently no vehicle access to Bottchers Gap due to damage on upper Palo Colorado Rd. from last winter's storms.
- Can I drive the the boy-scout camp, and park there to start my hike to Pico Blanco wilderness camp ?

No; see previous reply. Not even the boy scouts can get there right now.
- Can I start my hike at the base of "long ridge", then hike to Turner Creek Camp ?

Right now, probably not -- but this is something I've wondered about myself. (Of course, Long Ridge is one steep road to hike up!)
ventanahiker86

Accessing Ventana

Postby Alladin on Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:55 pm

Please advise me on some details:

- Can I hike in from Pfeiffer State Park along the Mt Manual trail to the summit and beyond ?
- Can I drive to the little Sur trailhead along the Old Coast road? If not, can I hike along the old coast road to that trailhead?
- Can I hike from the top of Mt. Manual down past post-summit to highway 1 at Molera?
- Can I hike down from the top of Mt. Manual down past post summit, the bee-line to Captain Cooper school?
- Can I drive to Bottchers Gap to start my hike?
- Can I drive the the boy-scout camp, and park there to start my hike to Pico Blanco wilderness camp ?
- Can I start my hike at the base of "long ridge", then hike to Turner Creek Camp ?
Alladin

Return to Ventana Discussion