Forums
Ventana Wilderness Forums • View topic - Highway 1 Southern Access Expanded to Salmon Creek

Highway 1 Southern Access Expanded to Salmon Creek

This is the place for general discussion, not specifically related to trails

Moderators: dknapp1, Betsy M

Re: Highway 1 Southern Access Expanded to Salmon Creek

Postby gfelsman on Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:33 pm

Having been there today, the closure is just past the Salmon Creek Ranger Station at a large pull out making for a easy turn around spot.

gfelsman wrote:John, We should also remind people of a couple of things.

1. From what I understand, the Blockage is before the Salmon Creek Ranger Station. Thus turning a RV or trailer around may be very tough.

2. We are in level II Fire Restrictions. That means NO Campfires anywhere in the Silver Peak Wilderness. This includes Salmon Creek and Buckeye Trails.

3. Please pack out all your belongings, including any trash you may have generated.

Thanks for your help and cooperation in keeping our forests clean and safe for all to enjoy.

Sincerely,

Gary Felsman
gfelsman

Postby gfelsman on Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:09 pm

John, We should also remind people of a couple of things.

1. From what I understand, the Blockage is before the Salmon Creek Ranger Station. Thus turning a RV or trailer around may be very tough.

2. We are in level II Fire Restrictions. That means NO Campfires anywhere in the Silver Peak Wilderness. This includes Salmon Creek and Buckeye Trails.

3. Please pack out all your belongings, including any trash you may have generated.

Thanks for your help and cooperation in keeping our forests clean and safe for all to enjoy.

Sincerely,

Gary Felsman
gfelsman

Postby jbl on Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:36 am

Speaking of the Mud Creek Slide, Big Sur Kate just put up a post which shows the geology of that slide and which really gives a sense of how massive it is:

https://bigsurkate.blog/2017/06/27/geol ... mud-creek/

Here's a picture of the slide in case you haven't seen it, it is actually quite mind boggling to see:
mf1.jpg
Aerial photo of Mud Creek Slide
jbl

Highway 1 Southern Access Expanded to Salmon Creek

Postby jbl on Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:10 pm

GOOD NEWS:
Caltrans has moved the southern closure point on Highway 1 (i.e. the spot at the south that northbound traffic can't pass) from the Ragged Point Inn up to Salmon Creek, which means that you can now hike (without having to walk Highway 1) on the County Line Road, Salmon Creek Trail and Buckeye Trail. It would be great if people started using these trails again, which may hinder some of the crazy post-winter storm growth that we've been seeing everywhere and which has only been exacerbated by the lack of hikers.

Note: although it is possible that Caltrans may open the highway up to go even further north (I sure hope that they open it up all the way to the Cruikshank Trail trailhead), it's going to be a LONG time (I'm hearing a year) before the Mud Creek Slide (just south of Gorda), with its million+ tons of dirt and rock and its new 1/3 mile peninsula, will be dealt with such that the road is open through/over/under/around that spot.
jbl

Return to Ventana Discussion