2017_Jun_20_Level II_Fire_Restrictions.pdf
(100.51 KiB) Downloaded 6 times

Here's the list of Campfire Use Sites-
Campfire Use Sites 2017.pdf
(11.92 KiB) Downloaded 4 times
mikesplain

LEVEL 2 FIRE RESTRICTIONS

Postby mikesplain on Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:04 pm

Apparently the LPNF has yet to update its website, but that should happen this week. The original announcement was a bit flawed as we received notice of "Level 1 Fire Restrictions" & no appendix with a list of Designated Campfire Use Sites. The Forest is in fact in Level 2 Fire Restrictions (no backcountry campfires, stoves OK with CA Campfire Permit); we'll share the updated web URL and appendix as soon as they are available.

Agreed that a fine would be unfair without the Forest actually posting the restrictions on its website, but the LP is desperately understaffed, especially in terms of Recreation/Wilderness, and so these things tend to move slowly.

On the other hand, one would have to be a serious glutton for abuse to camp in the scorching, buggy Big Sur backcountry right now, let alone sidled up next to a campfire :shock:
mikesplain

Re: LEVEL 1 FIRE RESTRICTIONS

Postby at_scott on Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:38 am

I did not mean to imply that I thought the letter was a forgery. I'm sure it is real, especially coming from Mike. The point that I was trying to make was that if I go backpacking, read the notices on the LPNF web page, print out my fire permit as instructed and then have a fire I don't think a fine would be very fair.

emperor norton wrote:the letter must be a forgery,
at_scott

Postby emperor norton on Sat Jun 17, 2017 5:41 pm

the letter must be a forgery, but concerning campfires, the authorities are sure to be on the lookout, they just have not updated the website, common sense would tell you,a campfire at this time would not be wise
emperor norton

Postby at_scott on Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:19 pm

Hmmm...No mention on the lpnf web page. It can sure be hard to follow the rules when there is conflicting info out there.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/alerts/lpnf/alerts-notices

-Scott
at_scott

LEVEL 2 FIRE RESTRICTIONS

Postby mikesplain on Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:50 pm

LEVEL 1 FIRE RESTRICTIONS are in effect as of June 14th, 2017. This means NO CAMPFIRES IN THE BACKCOUNTRY until further notice. The official notice is posted below.

Order No. 05-07-17-04.pdf
(39.77 KiB) Downloaded 51 times
mikesplain

Return to Ventana Discussion