Forums
Ventana Wilderness Forums • View topic - Suggestions for hiking from Kirk Creek Campground?

Suggestions for hiking from Kirk Creek Campground?

This is the place for general discussion, not specifically related to trails

Moderators: Betsy M, dknapp1

Re: Suggestions for hiking from Kirk Creek Campground?

Postby Organizer on Tue May 23, 2017 3:49 pm

Zoom into this map for lots of interesting options:

https://mappingsupport.com/p/gmap4.php? ... f&tilt=off
Organizer

Re: Suggestions for hiking from Kirk Creek Campground?

Postby Mister Mister on Tue May 23, 2017 3:47 pm

If you really want to hike/walk directly from the campground then your options are limited. Go up Vincente Flat trail, or walk up the Naciem road to the Mill creek trailhead (about 1 mile), then walk up the Mill Creek trail.
If you don't mind driving for a short ways, then you can drive down to Pacific valley area (about 4 miles drive), then hike up either the north end of the Prewitt trail (start 1/4 mile north of the Prewitt Creek bridge, or start at the Plaskett ranger station and hike up the Prewitt trail (which meets the Willet trail).
Or, you can enter the LimeKiln creek campground/day use area and ask about the possibility of hiking up the Arvin trail which meets the historic Twitchell flat "trail" (likely heavily grown-over at this time) and push your way eastward through dense growth. This will ultimately take you up to intersect the "stone ridge" trail and from there you can continue south or north, or if you are a particularly robust and driven hiker you can follow some "non-trail" routes found on the bigsurtrailmap.net
Mister Mister

Suggestions for hiking from Kirk Creek Campground?

Postby annabelledsm on Tue May 16, 2017 1:44 pm

Hi! I'm visiting CA and camping next week (May 22, 2017) in Kirk Creek campground. I was originally planning on hiking in Big Sur but given the Route 1 blockages, I was wondering if there were any other suggestions for good trails for a day hike from Kirk Creek without going too much out of my way. Vicente Trail looks great but I am open to other suggestions as well. Thanks!
annabelledsm

Return to Ventana Discussion