Forums
Ventana Wilderness Forums • View topic - 3 Year Old's First Bpack Trip... Ideas?

3 Year Old's First Bpack Trip... Ideas?

This is the place for general discussion, not specifically related to trails

Moderators: Betsy M, dknapp1

Re: 3 Year Old's First Bpack Trip... Ideas?

Postby Walt on Mon May 15, 2017 1:14 pm

I think a hike to Rocky Creek camp would be nice! the map shows it as 2.2 miles, 660 vertical feet (bigsurtrailmap.net). (start at the Kiosk on Arroyo Seco Rd, I think they will let you park at the forest service station there) This saves you several hours of driving relative to driving to the south coast ridge road.
Walt

Postby Organizer on Mon May 15, 2017 1:09 pm

What do you think of a hike to Lions Den Camp, or Three Peaks Camp, from the south coast ridge rd ? Both of these hikes are likely too short and easy for you.. but nice nonetheless.
Organizer

Postby Steve B on Fri May 12, 2017 8:51 am

The trail to Spruce Camp is just under two miles but it is very steep for the first 3/4 mile (almost 1000 ft. climb).
Normally I would recommend Bluff Camp, which in not in the forest, it is on water company property managed by the Forest Service, but the trail is in very poor condition with many dead falls and missing tread. We plan to clear the trail to Bluff Memorial weekend.
There are not a lot of options for an outing with a three year old in the Ventana Wilderness at this date.
Steve B

Postby whhoward on Thu May 11, 2017 5:26 pm

Point Reyes National Park has several easy to hike into camps, each with pit toilets, tables and water spigots. I was surprised how much I enjoyed it a month or so ago. Not really a substitute for Pine Valley, but nice. Reservations are required and I was told it fills quickly on busy weekends.
whhoward

Postby gshawver on Thu May 11, 2017 10:23 am

How about Salmon Creek Trailhead to Spruce Creek Camp? Can anyone comment on the mileage/elevation gain, or describe the camp area?
gshawver

3 Year Old's First Bpack Trip... Ideas?

Postby gshawver on Thu May 11, 2017 10:16 am

Planning to take my 3 year old daughter on her first backpacking trip over Memorial Day weekend. Hoping for suggestions on a route/camp in an open part of Ventana/Silver Peak. The shorter/flatter/easier the better. Was thinking 3-5 miles each way max, and hopefully not a crazy amount of climbing (not sure if that's feasible in this area). Hoping for someplace with a water source. Camping in a forested area would be great (and coastal redwoods would be ideal :D ).

I've mostly only backpacked in the northern half of Ventana, so I'm at a loss when it comes to the trails that are currently open. Would have like to take her to Little Sur Camp (from Bottchers Gap), but the fire has nixed that idea...

Also open to suggestions for trails outside of the Ventana area (in case there's nothing suitable in Ventana). We're coming from the East Bay (Livermore), so anything within 3-4 hours drive (that's not covered in snow) would be worth considering.

Thanks for your help!
gshawver

Return to Ventana Discussion