Forums
Ventana Wilderness Forums • View topic - So. coast ridge road as far south as Lottie Potrero?

So. coast ridge road as far south as Lottie Potrero?

This is the place for general discussion, not specifically related to trails

Moderators: dknapp1, Betsy M

Re: So. coast ridge road as far south as Lottie Potrero?

Postby K Vandevere on Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:15 pm

Wow... a site that dispenses Dadaist, non sequitur backcountry advice. I like it.
K Vandevere

More Info?

Postby Organizer on Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:35 am

Found this "informative" information at http://www.hikelospadres.com/rattlesnak ... round.html :

"Rattlesnake Camp is located along the Rattlesnake Creek Trail and is a prime destination for backpackers going from Los Padres Reservoir up towards Pat Springs. This camp was probably so named because of the wildraspberries that grow here (in season). "
Organizer

Postby Organizer on Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:19 am

There seems to be a new web-site related to the Ventana, some day it could be useful for additional information.

http://www.hikelospadres.com/index.html
Organizer

Postby jack_glendening on Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:16 pm

FYI just over 1 mile after Three Peaks the road leaves the ridge at a switchback and the section following is significantly more rocky and gnarly than other parts of the road. The road to Three Peaks is in good shape right now so I expect that rocky section to be in better shape than it often is, but I've not been down there this year. The previous times, though, I've been glad I was in a 4WD truck (one time I had to use its "super low" gear).

Jack
Big Sur Trailmap: http://bigsurtrailmap.net
jack_glendening

Postby Ghost View on Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:06 pm

Good Luck finding the Lottie Potrero camp, or the trail for that matter, they are difficult to find. Recommend you study as much information as you can related to those places before heading out there to find them. Once you get onto the Lottie trail, it is very followable and enjoyable but the intersection with the south coast ridge road is a hard thing to find. Recommend printing a detailed map from bigsurtrailmap.net for the upper mile of the Lottie trail.
Ghost View

Postby at_scott on Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:48 am

I made the same wrong turn that Rob did a week ago. As I was heading steeply downhill, I realized that I was probably not on the "Ridge" road. I even made the same wrong turn on the way back. It is easy to make this mistake because where you have to make a slight left, South Coast Ridge Rd. goes downhill and from where the turn is made you don't really see the road.

The drive itself is spectacularly beautiful. There are places on the ridge where you can see the Pacific on one side and the Salinas valley on the other.

Rob wrote:There was an unsigned left turn about five miles from Nacimiento-Ferguson which I missed the first time. If you find yourself near a campground or heading steeply downhill, you're going the wrong way :) Turn around and head back a mile from the campground to the junction and turn right.
at_scott

Postby Rob on Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:30 am

I drove from Nacimiento-Ferguson to the Cruickshank trailhead this past weekend. My 2005 subaru forester did reasonably well (AWD and 7.5 inches clearance). Things were pretty dry, save for a few wet spots from spring seeps.

There was an unsigned left turn about five miles from Nacimiento-Ferguson which I missed the first time. If you find yourself near a campground or heading steeply downhill, you're going the wrong way :) Turn around and head back a mile from the campground to the junction and turn right.

Two miles after the unsigned junction (7 miles from Nacimiento-Ferguson) there was a signed junction, and for the next 12 miles or so the road narrowed considerably, in places steep, rough and somewhat loose. I was glad to have the extra clearance and AWD. It had a remote feeling, unlike the first five miles.

When I was driving out the wind had picked up and clouds were blowing in. The temps dropped into the low 40's and there was condensation dripping off the trees. Perfect hypothermia weather, not a good time to get stuck.
Rob

Postby ventanahiker86 on Wed May 10, 2017 9:53 pm

Jeff Cannon wrote:Based on the condition and tire tracks, I would say it has to be passable further north. It is possible all the traffic comes up from Hunter Liggett as that road also appears very well used.

When you say the road from Hunter Liggett, do you mean Nacimiento-Fergusson? Or are you talking about FHL personnel using one of the gated ridge roads to access the S. Coast Ridge Rd?
ventanahiker86

Postby Jeff Cannon on Wed May 10, 2017 7:29 pm

I have been thinking about the same trip. I can only speak about the road from the turn off to Lion's Den Camp. From there south, it is a well used freeway to the turn off for Three Peaks. Based on the condition and tire tracks, I would say it has to be passable further north. It is possible all the traffic comes up from Hunter Liggett as that road also appears very well used. I am interested in trying to get up to Lottie Potrero from San Carpaforo and looping back on the road then down to Dutra Flat.
Jeff Cannon

Postby jonl on Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:29 pm

When they say it is open only so far they (USFS) are probably referring to motor vehicles. With the current weather and forecast bicycle to Lottie Potrero would be delightful.
If indeed the road is closed to motor vehicles it will be nice and quiet down there. Beautiful views and so much more!!
jonl

Next

Return to Ventana Discussion