Forums
Ventana Wilderness Forums • View topic - Highway 1 impassable South of Big Sur

Highway 1 impassable South of Big Sur

This is the place for general discussion, not specifically related to trails

Moderators: dknapp1, Betsy M

Re: Highway 1 impassable South of Big Sur

Postby Advisor on Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:33 pm

I guess the Ventana Wilderness starting points along hwy 1 are between Ragged point and Lime Kiln accessed by Nacimiento Ferguson Rd. This road adds an hour relative to accessing this area via Hwy1 when Hwy1 is open (true when accessing this area from either north or south along hwy1). In addition to the times mentioned, it is also open from 11:30am - 12 each day. This area of Hwy1 is the location of trailheads for Salmon Creek trail, Prewitt trail, Cruikshank trail, Mill Creek Trail, Vincente Flat trail. [Ed. note- of this list, only the Vicente Flat (note spelling) access the Ventana Wilderness. Salmon Creek & Cruikshank trails access the Silver Peak Wilderness; Prewitt Loop & Mill Creek Trails are entirely outside of wilderness.]
Advisor

Postby ventanahiker86 on Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:36 pm

The USFS website has this:

- Santa Lucia Memorial Park/Escondido Campground (no road access to these campgrounds due to storm related conditions). Closed at Fort Hunter Liggett.

jbl wrote:Best to stick with the area in upper San Antonio Valley above Fort Hunter Liggett (Santa Lucia Memorial Camp and the Carrizo and Arroyo Seco and Santa Lucia trails).
ventanahiker86

Postby jbl on Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:26 pm

Re the condition of Burro Mountain/Willow Creek Road etc. and environs:
I haven't been on those roads lately but I've seen the condition of Plaskett Ridge Road as well as Highway 1 itself in the stretch from Ragged Point to Pacific Valley. Don't fool yourself about how passable any of the dirt roads in the area might be at this time (absent direct knowledge/information from a source on the ground), the rains up there have been very intense (the rain gauges on Mining Ridge and Three Peaks (which are on the same ridge as the South Coast Ridge Road just north and south of the top of Willow Creek Road) have been measuring 24 hour totals in the teens during various of the recent storms, trees have been falling, gullies have been opening, slides have been occurring, and the amount of resources devoted to maintaining these roads is miniscule compared to the almost unlimited resources of CalTrans which has not been able to keep up with the slides on Highway 1. My advice would be to stick to Nacimiento Fergusson Road if open (and on Highway 1, you can't go much north of there given the closure at Paul's Slide near Lucia, and travel south is potentially blocked at the Mud Creek slide near Gorda. Best to stick with the area in upper San Antonio Valley above Fort Hunter Liggett (Santa Lucia Memorial Camp and the Carrizo and Arroyo Seco and Santa Lucia trails).
jbl

Postby Orkan Man on Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:53 pm

No worries Jug-Head !

The Nacimiento - Ferguson Road is now open MON-SAT after 6pm, and on Sunday all day!

Party on !
Orkan Man

Postby Juggernaut on Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:48 pm

Are you going to believe "BSK", isn't that the same BSK that has been complaining about "loving big sur to death" ?

Isn't it possible / probable that BSK is advocating that Burros Rd is closed in order to achieve her (unstated objective) goal of fewer people around her place ?

If there is no cal-trans or other official word on the closure, then we must assume that the road is open.

The "Advisor" recommends it is open and available for travel to the coastal areas of Gorda, Prewitt Ridge, Vincente trail, or Mill creek trail.

It should also be noted that camping does not seem to be available at Kirk, or Plaskett camp grounds, may be available at Lime Kiln and is definitely along the Nacimiento, los-burros Prewitt Ridge or Plaskett Ridge roads

Don't be wimp, try the road less traveled !
Juggernaut

Postby ventanahiker86 on Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:36 am

That could work, Alladin, except that I'm not sure the status of Willow Creek Rd (aka Los Burros Rd). See this handy map of local road closures etc.: http://umap.openstreetmap.fr/en/map/big-sur-closures_122609#11/35.9763/-121.4044
It shows Willow Creek Rd closed, although without details. In any case, I can't imagine it's in very good shape right now.
ventanahiker86

Postby Alladin on Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:51 pm

I think it should say nacimiento-ferguson in the previous post where it say "bakfeet rd"
Alladin

Postby Alladin on Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:49 pm

To access the Vincent's flat trail or Cruikshank trail drive thru hunter logger (Ed. note- US Army Fort Hunter-Liggett) to the summit of bac-feet road (Ed. note- Nacimiento-Fergusson Road) then turn left on so coast ridge road after several scenic miles (Ed. note- approximately 15 miles of rough, unpaved South Coast Ridge Road) tun right on los Burris rd (Ed. note- Los Burros aka Willow Creek Road, approximately 6 rough, unpaved miles) take nice drive to bay 1. From here you can explore several trail heads like presort trail Cruikshank or vicente
Alladin

Postby jbl on Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:35 am

Thank you Ventanahiker86 for the correction, I always get my Pfeiffers mixed up, I've corrected my original post.
jbl

Postby ventanahiker86 on Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:28 pm

That is correct, except that the bridge in question is not at Julia Pfeiffer, but is just south of Pfeiffer Big Sur SP near Big Sur Station.
And yes, Nacimiento-Fergusson Rd will close on Wed. from Hwy 1 to the Summit.
jbl wrote:...there are currently 2 quite severe problems south of Big Sur that have cut off access from the south, ... the second of which is the damage to the bridge at Julia Pfeiffer Burns State Park which has resulted in the bridge being closed to any vehicular traffic.
ventanahiker86

Next

Return to Ventana Discussion