Forums
Ventana Wilderness Forums • View topic - Advice on a late feb 3 day backcountry adventure?

Advice on a late feb 3 day backcountry adventure?

This is the place for general discussion, not specifically related to trails

Moderators: dknapp1, Betsy M

Re: Advice on a late feb 3 day backcountry adventure?

Postby Road Adviser on Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:10 am

Hwy 1 is closed from the north to Kirk creek camp, so you will need to drive south on hwy 101 to jolon Rd, follow that for about 10 miles to Hunter Ligget, turn right into Hunter ligget on Mission Rd, follow that for 3 miles, then turn left on Nacimiento-Ferguson Rd. That will take you to the coast.
To get to Memorial Camp, the starting point for the hike Rodeo Flats, or Carrizo trail or the other trail which goes to Cook Springs use the above directions but do not turn left onto Nacimiento Rd, simply follow mission rd to Memorial camp.
The access to Arroyo Seco is easy, follow hwy 101 to arroyo seco rd, follow that until it ends at the trailhead.
Road Adviser

Re: Advice on a late feb 3 day backcountry adventure?

Postby An Advisor on Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:01 am

Start at Memorial Camp, Hike up the trail to Cook springs, from there head south on the coast ridge trail , then down rodeo trail back to your car.
or
Start at Kirk Creek Camp on Hwy 1, hike up Vincente trail to Vincente camp, from there up and over Cone Peak, then down to Gamboa trail, camp at Goat camp, hike out via stone ridge trail to hwy 1 at Kirk.
or
Start at Arroyo Seco Rd, Hike to Tan Oak Camp, from there to Coast ridge, go north to Lost Vally cutoff trail, camp in lost vally at fish camp. Then hike from there to arroyo seco Indians road, followthat closed road back to your car at Arroyo Seco.
An Advisor

Advice on a late feb 3 day backcountry adventure?

Postby lisamoli on Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:11 pm

Hi! I'm taking my partner out on his first backcountry adventure at the end of this month and would love to explore Ventana or nearby regions if weather permits. I'm just learning about this area so it seems like there are a few considerations like closed trails due to fire damage, parts of highway 1 are closed (we are driving from the north), weather (it's been raining with lots of land slides), poison oak, and overgrown trails/bushwacking required.

I'd love to piece together a 2-4 day backcountry trip at the end of feb (anywhere between 6-10 miles/day should be fine and shorter point to points with offshoots are fine as well). I've done plenty of backcountry hiking (mostly on trail but some offtrail in Alaska) around the US and am comfortable map reading and navigating but if the trails get too hard to follow, i'm not an expert at orienteering. I'd love any advice on good routes/trails for this adventure. THANKS!
lisamoli

Return to Ventana Discussion