Forums
Ventana Wilderness Forums • View topic - Status of Arroyo Seco Indians Road

Status of Arroyo Seco Indians Road

This is the place for general discussion, not specifically related to trails

Moderators: dknapp1, Betsy M

Re: Status of Arroyo Seco Indians Road

Postby mikesplain on Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:02 am

Call the Los Padres National Forest Monterey Ranger District- 831-385-5434.
mikesplain

Postby thePJ on Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:11 pm

Amy L wrote:The Arroyo Seco-Indians Road is on the boundary of the post-fire closure zone. I just spoke with the USFS office and confirmed that it is currently open to hikers and cyclists. The fellow I spoke with warned me that 0.1 mile south of the gorge (the place where there is access to the river and to the old cabin) there is a new slide or washout.

Hi Amy,

Could you share any further information as to which USFS office you spoke with or what number you called?

Thanks,
P.J.
thePJ

Postby Amy L on Sun Apr 02, 2017 4:47 pm

In March of 2017 we hiked the road from Arroyo Seco Campground to Escondido Campground to study conditions after the 2016 fire and the record winter 2016-2017 rainstorms. Our most recent prior trip had been in 2010, when much of the Arroyo Seco Indians Road was rutted, had encroaching vegetation and had been covered by several slides. It appears that during firefighting effort for the huge Soberanes Fire, crews cleared and graded most of the road. A 1.5 mile stretch of the road was not accessible to bulldozers due to old slides, and it remains rutted, has some vegetation growing in the roadbed, and has numerous easy short hike-a-bike obstacles. There are two new 2017 slides outside of that 1.5 mile corridor that require an easy hike-a-bike as well; the new slides are in the region of the junction with the bridge to the Marble Peak Trail.

Overall, the conditions were easier for a cyclist than in 2010 due to the 2016 bulldozing of parts of the road.

Location of the non-cleared portion of the road is shown on the CalTopo map linked in our Wildflower Bike Tour report: http://doingmiles.com/2010-03-wildflowers/
Amy L

Postby Megan Sebay on Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:43 pm

Would like to hear info on this, as well.
Megan Sebay

Status of Arroyo Seco Indians Road

Postby Amy L on Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:37 am

The Arroyo Seco-Indians Road is on the boundary of the post-fire closure zone. I just spoke with the USFS office and confirmed that it is currently open to hikers and cyclists. The fellow I spoke with warned me that 0.1 mile south of the gorge (the place where there is access to the river and to the old cabin) there is a new slide or washout.

In 2010 we took a fabulous wildflower bike tour (http://doingmiles.com/2010-03-wildflowers/) that included the Arroyo Seco-Indians Road. This should be a great year for wildflowers and we have friends who are planning to follow our route this coming April.

If anybody has been there recently I'm eager to find out how the heavy rains in January impacted the old slide area (closer to Hanging Valley), which had been stable and safe to carry a bike across, and any new slides that may be so steep and unstable that it is not currently safe to traverse by bike. Our friends are very skilled cyclists who won't have problems with stable slides, but a steep unstable slide could be a problem.

Thanks for any information, either now or in the upcoming months. Amy (and James too)
Amy L

Return to Ventana Discussion