Forums
Ventana Wilderness Forums • View topic - National Forest closure reduction

National Forest closure reduction

This is the place for general discussion, not specifically related to trails

Moderators: Betsy M, dknapp1

Re: National Forest closure reduction

Postby Organizer on Mon May 15, 2017 12:56 pm

This may also apply to some of you...

Thoreau argues that individuals should not permit governments to overrule or atrophy their consciences, and that they have a duty to avoid allowing such acquiescence to enable the government to make them.... (wikipedia)
Organizer

Postby K Vandevere on Tue May 09, 2017 9:48 pm

The closure following the Basin Complex Fire, in 2008, was far longer than the closures following previous fires, but was still less than a year. The Forest reopened on May 1, 2009. It's hard to imagine what justification there could be for keeping the fire area closed until December (which would amount to more than a year and a half of closure), but the trend does seem to be toward longer and longer closures.
K Vandevere

Postby Rob on Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:17 pm

I remember the 2008 fire .. wasn't the closure for something like a whole year ? In the meantime there are lots of other places to hike.
Rob

Postby Allistair on Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:05 pm

WTF ? When is the forest going to reopen?? Hasn't there been enough wind to knock down any potentially dangerous burnt trees? The forest seems to be closed still but there are no signs saying it is closed when you approach Los Padres Dam. No signs at the parking area, none along the trail toward the carmel river.
Allistair

Postby VWA Admin on Thu Dec 29, 2016 6:08 pm

We believe the Timber Top/Boronda trail is open. The Coast Ridge Road is the closure boundary.
VWA Admin

Postby jdoelman on Thu Dec 29, 2016 1:45 pm

From the forest service map it appears that the Timber Top/ Boronda trail is open.
Does anyone know if this is true ?
jdoelman

Postby jbl on Tue Dec 20, 2016 7:48 pm

Cone Peak Road is still closed, though, fingers are crossed that it'll reopen but I won't hold my breath, it probably had some damage from the recent big rains and my working assumption is that the forest service isn't going to go in to clear it until rainy season is over.
jbl

Postby jonl on Tue Dec 20, 2016 7:31 pm

NF Road is open. Essentasilly anything south of Lost Valley is open which would include Cone Peak area.
Enjoy!!
jonl

Postby edormody on Tue Dec 20, 2016 3:19 pm

Hi Jack,

The resolution of this map on my computer isn't very clear. Is Nacimiento Fergusson Rd. open? Is the trail to Cone Peak part of the closure? Thanks!
edormody

National Forest closure reduction

Postby jack_glendening on Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:23 am

In yesterday's FS order revising the National Forest closure they state " This order will expire Dec. 4, 2017." Does anyone who has talked to the FS know if there is any consideration of lifting the closure or reducing its area at a later time, e.g. summer? Or is their intent that this should remain in effect for an entire year?

Jack

PS: the new closure area is now shown on my Big Sur Trailmaps http://bigsurtrailmap.net

Link to Closure Order
http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/lpnf/news-events/?cid=FSEPRD527000

Link to Closure Map
http://bigsurtrailmap.net/MAPS/FIRE/SOBERANES/POSTFIRE/LosPadresNF_Dec2016_05-07-51-16-22-SoberanesFireClosureMap-ExhibitB.1066x774.jpg
Big Sur Trailmap: http://bigsurtrailmap.net
jack_glendening

Previous

Return to Ventana Discussion