Forums
Ventana Wilderness Forums • View topic - IMPORTANT! FOREST CLOSURE

IMPORTANT! FOREST CLOSURE

This is the place for general discussion, not specifically related to trails

Moderators: Betsy M, dknapp1

Re: IMPORTANT! FOREST CLOSURE

Postby Guest on Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:46 am

[quote="jack_glendening"]The earlier post by Mike Splain on this thread, announcing the lifting of the closure, has a map - clicking it gives a larger, more readable, image. 3E06 is the Pine Ridge Trail, 3E07 is the Big Sur Trail.

Jack[/quote]

I guess my point is, the official order does not show a map and indicates 3E06 which from what you said is the entire Pine Ridge Trail (which according to all maps I have ever seen would be from China Camp to Big Sur Station). If the Forest Service meant only a partial of the trail (3E06), then the order should reflect it in the text of the order along with a map like the one Mike Splain posted. Is Mike's map an official document from the Forest Service? If so, I think it is odd they would only pass this information to one person instead of on their official website?

I ask these questions because I do not want to be out there hiking on a trail that according to a written published order references a trail number which represents the entire Pine Ridge trail and get fined $5000, because all I have is an map image from a forum website to back up my legal stance to be on the trail.

I am hoping someone can post a link to the Forest Service website that shows this map or better explanation about the "partial" closure of the Pine Ridge trail.

Postby jack_glendening on Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:11 am

The earlier post by Mike Splain on this thread, announcing the lifting of the closure, has a map - clicking it gives a larger, more readable, image. 3E06 is the Pine Ridge Trail, 3E07 is the Big Sur Trail.

Jack
Big Sur Trailmap: http://bigsurtrailmap.net
jack_glendening

Postby Guest on Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:33 pm

[quote="jack_glendening"]If you want a rationale for the closure of the Pine Ridge Trail, I'm not privy to USFS thinking but did note that the Big Sur Trail junction is an easily specified point close to the eastern extent of the burn area along the Pine Ridge Trail.

Jack[/quote]

What I am confused about is the order shown at https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/lpnf/new ... EPRD563663 does not have a map. It says Pine Ridge (Forest Trail No. E306) is temporarily close. I can not find a map anywhere that shows a number like E306. Where is such a map which shows this number? Also, where on the USFS site does it show a map which shows the Eastern section of the Pine Ridge trail to be open? Is it just common knowledge the trail number E306 means the Western section of the Pine Ridge trail?

Postby ventanahiker86 on Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:14 pm

It's correct that Palo Colorado Rd is closed at The Hoist. Recently a security gate was installed in that area, partly to keep people from illegally camping in Mill Creek Redwood Preserve (which remains closed) -- and partly to facilitate the road repairs. My understanding is that not even locals who live farther down the canyon are able/allowed to walk/hike the road past the security gate.
As for Old Coast Rd, last time I hiked part of it from Bixby (back in August), there was a locked gate not far past the Bixby/Sierra Creek confluence. I'm not sure if the road has been fully reopened yet. Does anyone know the status?
ventana_paramour wrote:@jackrabbit,
It's my understanding that Palo Colorado Road is closed to vehicular traffic beginning at "The Hoist" which means you won't be able to drive directly to Bottcher's Gap and beyond to the Boy Scout Camp. You may be able to park and hike the way in but that adds significant mileage to your hiking journey. You're best bet is going in from Old Coast Ridge Rd.
ventanahiker86

Postby jack_glendening on Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:59 pm

If you want a rationale for the closure of the Pine Ridge Trail, I'm not privy to USFS thinking but did note that the Big Sur Trail junction is an easily specified point close to the eastern extent of the burn area along the Pine Ridge Trail.

Jack
Big Sur Trailmap: http://bigsurtrailmap.net
jack_glendening

Postby ventana_paramour on Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:45 pm

@jackrabbit,
It's my understanding that Palo Colorado Road is closed to vehicular traffic beginning at "The Hoist" which means you won't be able to drive directly to Bottcher's Gap and beyond to the Boy Scout Camp. You may be able to park and hike the way in but that adds significant mileage to your hiking journey. You're best bet is going in from Old Coast Ridge Rd. Trail should be fine between the trail head and the Little Sur river crossing. Beyond that trail conditions have been historically poor -- passable but overgrown with tread deteriorating in many spots. Have fun out there and stay safe.
ventana_paramour

Postby mikesplain on Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:34 pm

The Pine Ridge Trail closure covers Big Sur Station to the Big Sur Trail junction (a bit east of Redwood Camp). In other words, Ventana, Terrace Creek, Barlow Flat, Sykes & Redwood camps are all closed. East of the Big Sur Trail Junction, the Pine Ridge Trail is open.
mikesplain

Postby Anomymous on Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:27 pm

The official announcement says the Redwood Camp is closed. So apparently, you can hike from China Camp to the outskirts of Redwood camp, but if you "enter or use" that camp, you will be in violation of the remaining closure order and can be fined $5000.

Wierd.
Anomymous

Postby at_scott on Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:53 am

optimus,

It's confusing about where the trail is closed but I think I might have been wrong in my earlier post. I found this notice on the lpnf website.

"Tassajara Road reopened. White Oaks and China Camp Campgrounds reopened. Access to the Carmel River Trail and the Pine Ridge Trail (China Camp to Redwood Camp ONLY)"

That seems to indicate that we are allowed to hike to Redwood camp.

-at_scott
at_scott

Postby Jack Rabbit on Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:39 am

I am thinking I will hike to Pico Blanco Camp. Is there any problem accessing the area from Boy Scout Camp ? Are they still allowing parking there (for a modest fee)? Or is the only way to approach from the Old Coast Road ?
Jack Rabbit

PreviousNext

Return to Ventana Discussion