Forums
Ventana Wilderness Forums • View topic - IMPORTANT! FOREST CLOSURE

IMPORTANT! FOREST CLOSURE

This is the place for general discussion, not specifically related to trails

Moderators: Betsy M, dknapp1

Re: IMPORTANT! FOREST CLOSURE

Postby jack_glendening on Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:52 pm

My post was based upon a memory of a conversation with Boon Hughey - but I may have misunderstood or my memory may be playing tricks on me.

Jack
Big Sur Trailmap: http://bigsurtrailmap.net
jack_glendening

Postby K Vandevere on Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:41 pm

Jack,

As far as I know the "real" Agony Trail was always the easier route that switchbacked up, mainly on the north side of the ridge. After a fire break was cleared down the ridge to stop the Rat Creek Fire, folks started going straight up and down the fire break, but that was pretty brutal and eventually Jeff got the original trail opened up again. I have not heard the name "Ecstasy Trail" before.
K Vandevere

Postby Dmitry on Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:24 pm

Is the closure still in effect for the Soberanes trail at Garrapata State Park? I drove by a few days ago and saw a "CLOSED" sign at the trailhead, but there is lots of cars, and people are clearly hiking it.
Dmitry

Postby jack_glendening on Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:31 pm

I had heard there was both an "Agony" route and an "Ecstacy" route, the former being mostly along the ridge whereas the latter was below it so more contour following and hikeable, maintained by Jeff Norman after he began using the North Coast Ridge Road for supply but now of course overgrown.

Jack
Big Sur Trailmap: http://bigsurtrailmap.net
jack_glendening

Postby K Vandevere on Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:06 pm

The trail from the JPB Tin House Rd. to the Coast Ridge (which passes the Alta Vista homestead site) was not created by Jeff Norman. Commonly called the "Agony Trail" it climbed Michael Ridge (the divide between the Partington and McWay watersheds). It had been in use since at least the 1920s, and appears on a variety of maps (both old and new). Jeff kept the trail in good condition during the years he lived at Alta Vista and the Forest Service did a great job of reworking the upper portion (from Alta Vista to the Coast Ridge) in 2007. In 2008, the Basin Complex Fire destroyed the Alta Vista homestead and the trail. The lower portion (up to the Alta Vista site) has occasionally been cleared in the years since, but the upper portion is entirely lost. The Alta Vista property is now part of JPBSP.
K Vandevere

Postby Dmitry on Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:52 am

This one?
20150406_113001.jpg

I was there in April 2015. Didn't see any trails further up or the waterline, but I wasn't even looking. Back then Sykes was open and that was all I needed.

I just hiked from Cold Spring camp to Pine Ridge trail, to China camp and that was horrible. The trail only gets good about 3 miles out from the Churck Creek Divide. I then went to the Tassajara Hot Springs, but they are closed for the winter, and the residents didn't let me through, so I couldn't return by Marble peak trail, which was my intention, or exit at Arroyo Seco, which was plan B. Instead I had to hike back to China camp and hitch a ride out. So, unless someone positively tells me that Marble Peak trail is good, there is no point in coming up to the Coast Ridge Road, unless you want to hike the Coast Ridge Road itself.
Dmitry

Postby jdoelman on Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:27 am

The route which Vander speaks of was once used by Jeff Norman to access his homestead just above the JPB park. At times he would use a burro/horse to access from highway 1 then up the Tin-House "driveway" then above that to his house. Other times he would simply make the hike. Last I heard he had experienced some problems with vandalism of his car at hwy 1 and resorted to parking along the coast ridge road and hiking down to his house. So, over the years he had established a route from hiway 1 up to the coast ridge, that route passing by his house (about 300ft above Tin House). Years ago I used that route to get to the coast ridge as the start of a hike past Indian valley to Lost Valley.
The Norman homestead was bequeathed to a group of VWA enthusiasts after his passing but I believe they donated it to the National Forest. The hike along the Norman waterline to his spring is an interesting one. (the homestead burnt to the ground in 2008).
jdoelman

Postby Mike2 on Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:18 am

The so called "Anderson Direct", is visible on some maps, following the power lines above JPB, but as far as I know, it's never been an official trail, and even before Basin Complex, was pretty much an impenetrable wall of brush, particularly at the beginning near Hwy 1. I hiked it once, soon after the Ventana was reopened after the BCF. It was passable, but difficult going, and I encountered a few stretches with abandoned ropes laid out on the steeper sections for the fire crews that were building a fire break up the hillside. The lower section appears to pass through JPB, so my guess is that State Parks would discourage anyone using this route to access Anderson Peak/Coast Ridge Road.
Mike2

Postby Dmitry on Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:42 am

Is there another Anderson Direct? The one I climbed starts by the McWay Falls, but it is impassable. In fact, even DeAngulo trail is so overgrown at times it would be a pain to climb with a backpack. I would recommend Boronda (Timber Top) trail - it's clear all the way. I just did it yesterday going down, absolutely no issues, wilderness highway.

K Vandevere wrote:It should probably be noted that the upper portion of the trail shown on many maps ascending from JPB State Park to the Coast Ridge, along the ridge separating the Partington and McWay watersheds, has pretty much ceased to exist since the Basin Complex Fire in 2008. At this point the "Anderson Direct," bad as it is, is probably an easier option, if one is determined to climb from the Highway to the Coast Ridge in the vicinity of JPB.
Dmitry

Postby K Vandevere on Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:16 am

It should probably be noted that the upper portion of the trail shown on many maps ascending from JPB State Park to the Coast Ridge, along the ridge separating the Partington and McWay watersheds, has pretty much ceased to exist since the Basin Complex Fire in 2008. At this point the "Anderson Direct," bad as it is, is probably an easier option, if one is determined to climb from the Highway to the Coast Ridge in the vicinity of JPB.
K Vandevere

PreviousNext

Return to Ventana Discussion