Forums
Ventana Wilderness Forums • View topic - IMPORTANT! FOREST CLOSURE

IMPORTANT! FOREST CLOSURE

This is the place for general discussion, not specifically related to trails

Moderators: Betsy M, dknapp1

Re: IMPORTANT! FOREST CLOSURE

Postby jack_glendening on Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:49 pm

The Ventana Inn did some illegal things to support the Parker wedding, with subsequent lawsuit leading to several redresses, including this one. The map displays the location better than I can describe. Jack
Big Sur Trailmap: http://bigsurtrailmap.net
jack_glendening

Postby Dmitry on Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:32 am

jack_glendening wrote:Under the Parker settlement you can legally long-term park at "Cadillac Flats", though it is small and cannot handle too many cars - see link (note this is NOT the Ventana Inn parking lot)

https://mappingsupport.com/p/gmap4.php? ... f&tilt=off

Jack

Thank you, I didn't know that. Is it the parking lot close to the Coast Ridge Road gate, on the west side of the road to Ventana Inn? And what is the Parker settlement? if anyone asks.
Dmitry

Postby jack_glendening on Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:18 am

Dmitry wrote:I know we could park at at the Big Sur Ranger Station, and then walk along the highway to the Ventana Inn driveway, ...

Under the Parker settlement you can legally long-term park at "Cadillac Flats", though it is small and cannot handle too many cars - see link (note this is NOT the Ventana Inn parking lot)

https://mappingsupport.com/p/gmap4.php? ... f&tilt=off

Jack
jack_glendening

Postby Dmitry on Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:59 am

So where are we supposed to park to be able to hike from west to east?

I know there is some room on the west side of Hwy 1 at the Boronda Trail trailhead (the one that takes you to the Timber Top), along the private property fence. But how long can a car sit there before it becomes a problem?

A couple of the printed maps I have show a trail from Julia Pfeiffer Burns State Park up to the Coast Ridge Road terminating at Anderson Peak 4099. I have never hiked that one, and I couldn't find any trail reports, because I am not sure what it's called. Apparently it contours some private property half way up, so maybe it's a private road? Is there parking?

I know we could park at at the Big Sur Ranger Station, and then walk along the highway to the Ventana Inn driveway, and then walk along the Coast Ridge Road to either Big Sur Trail trailhead or Marble Peak Trail trailhead off the Coast Ridge Road, but that's too much unnecessary walking.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. I would like to hike from Big Sur to Arroyo Seco or vice versa over Thanksgiving. I imagine there will be other hikers now that Ventana Wilderness is open. Where are we supposed to park?
Dmitry

How should I hike down from Bottchers Gap?

Postby Flossermanjaro on Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:46 am

If I hike into Bottchers Gap from the east, what is my best way out so I will know where to leave a vehicle?
I do not know how far down Palo Colorado "The Hoist" is. Or, can I go over Bixby Mountain from Bottchers Gap and down to Old Coast Road?
I appreciate the advice.
Flossermanjaro

Postby Guest on Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:04 am

[quote="CBFtoLogin"]

Risking a $5,000 fine, and risking one's own life or safety (Search and Rescue will turn people in to the Forest Service who violate the order) does not seem to be worth it.[/quote]

Agreed

Postby CBFtoLogin on Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:30 pm

Along with many parts of the the trail corridor, Sykes hot springs (the primary reason this area otherwise gets thousands of visitors per year) is reported to have been destroyed during the winter storms from flooding and landslides.

Risking a $5,000 fine, and risking one's own life or safety (Search and Rescue will turn people in to the Forest Service who violate the order) does not seem to be worth it.
CBFtoLogin

Postby Guest on Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:53 am

Never mind, I found the map on their website (see url below), but still think there should be a link in the official order to this map and a change in written text.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DO ... 563830.pdf

Postby Guest on Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:46 am

[quote="jack_glendening"]The earlier post by Mike Splain on this thread, announcing the lifting of the closure, has a map - clicking it gives a larger, more readable, image. 3E06 is the Pine Ridge Trail, 3E07 is the Big Sur Trail.

Jack[/quote]

I guess my point is, the official order does not show a map and indicates 3E06 which from what you said is the entire Pine Ridge Trail (which according to all maps I have ever seen would be from China Camp to Big Sur Station). If the Forest Service meant only a partial of the trail (3E06), then the order should reflect it in the text of the order along with a map like the one Mike Splain posted. Is Mike's map an official document from the Forest Service? If so, I think it is odd they would only pass this information to one person instead of on their official website?

I ask these questions because I do not want to be out there hiking on a trail that according to a written published order references a trail number which represents the entire Pine Ridge trail and get fined $5000, because all I have is an map image from a forum website to back up my legal stance to be on the trail.

I am hoping someone can post a link to the Forest Service website that shows this map or better explanation about the "partial" closure of the Pine Ridge trail.

Postby jack_glendening on Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:11 am

The earlier post by Mike Splain on this thread, announcing the lifting of the closure, has a map - clicking it gives a larger, more readable, image. 3E06 is the Pine Ridge Trail, 3E07 is the Big Sur Trail.

Jack
jack_glendening

Next

Return to Ventana Discussion