Forums
Ventana Wilderness Forums • View topic - Mt Manuel Trail update

Mt Manuel Trail update

This is the place to discuss anything related to Trail Crew, outings, or anything trail-related.

Moderators: Betsy M, VWA Admin 2, dknapp1

Re: Mt Manuel Trail update

Postby gonehiking guest on Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:42 am

Did not want to start a whole new topic, so will post this here, ran across this site of a trail crew on the web that you may all enjoy, the grass is not always greener on the other side! At least we don't have tires and kudzu in the Ventana!

http://www.lgmaps.org/?page_id=61
gonehiking guest

Postby jack_glendening on Mon Aug 01, 2016 10:04 am

Based on last night's IR flight, fire is now "clearing" the north end of the Mt Manuel Trail

Jack
Big Sur Trailmap: http://bigsurtrailmap.net
jack_glendening

Postby jack_glendening on Sun Jul 31, 2016 2:42 pm

A Sunday PM MODIS hit is centered on Rattlesnake Creek. Personally I hope it clears the ceanothus band just above the old Little Pines (at the spring) - worst bushwhacking I've had to do was climbing from the spring to the VDC Trail in 2013.

Jack
jack_glendening

Postby K Vandevere on Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:07 pm

Neither trail has been cleared yet. The fire is still north of the North Fork Little Sur and west of Pat Spring --- but it is well over the line on Skinner Ridge, so how much of the Ventana Wilderness it burns probably depends on the weather more than anything else.
K Vandevere

Postby Alexander on Thu Jul 28, 2016 12:19 pm

The trail is probably all-clear from the fire !

And likely the Rattlesnake trail is also being "cleared" as we speak ! :)
Alexander

Mt Manuel Trail update

Postby jack_glendening on Mon Jun 27, 2016 3:02 pm

A week ago I flagged the "lost" north end of the Mt Maunel Trail from Launtz Creek Camp to the first crossing, 1/4 mile downstream of Vado Camp. I feel I have located the approximate route, based upon Schaffer's map and finding some tread, rockwork, and old saw cuts.

But much of the tread is now gone so the original route cannot be determined exactly. Connections between some of the "known" locations are far apart and a "best" route not obvious, largely because much of it lies along a steep friable slope where there often seems to be no "good" elevation, i.e. a place where tread is not be easily eroded away (and of course such erosion is the reason for the current lack of tread).

Some places, where the route is a "known" or "reasonable" one, I've marked it with orange flags. At other places I've tried a few different routes, marked with red or red+black flagging. What is needed is to make an assessment of which of the alternatives is "best" and then flag the entire route with a single color. So I need to make at least more more trip out there.

For anyone headed that way, when orange or pink+black flags are found, follow them. After post-hike analysis I think that red flags should be followed instead of red+black ones. (But: about 0.1 mile before the river crossing there there is a misleading red flag route which should NOT be followed - instead the orange flag route should be followed to the crossing). Do not be expecting to follow tread - for much of the route there will not be any.

Below is a map and GPX file for the current route.

Jack
Attachments
VadoEstRoute-PostFlaggingHike-topo.jpg
VadoEstRoute-PostFlaggingHike.gpx
Vado Est Route - GPX
(5.82 KiB) Downloaded 83 times
jack_glendening

Re: A poignant find

Postby Guest on Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:02 am

That is an interesting find. I just got back from Launtz. Lots of water in Launtz creek. Couple of bad places on the trail to Launtz, One small section has deteriorated completely and I almost slid off trail. Would have been quite a long slide down the hill. Another section I did slide off the trail and ended up in a gully. Was able to slide about ten feet down and then climb back up onto the trail in a different place. I am going to try to e mail you Jack and I want to get out there and help with the ribbons and trail fixes. There is one tree down fairly close to the Pico Blanco Public camp and I was almost able to saw all the way through but my saw kept getting hung up prior to the final cut. I would love to spend a couple days in Launtz and help clear brush away from the trail going out of there. I truly believe from what I saw on my trip the trail to Vado is actually in very good shape. Thanks

Re: A poignant find

Postby gonehiking again on Wed Jun 22, 2016 1:56 pm

no trip report? how far did you get? is there a lot of water in Launtz Creek?
gonehiking again

Return to Trails and Trailwork Discussion