Forums
Ventana Wilderness Forums • View topic - Vado Camp Flagging Expedition

Vado Camp Flagging Expedition

This is the place to discuss anything related to Trail Crew, outings, or anything trail-related.

Moderators: Betsy M, VWA Admin 2, dknapp1

Re: Vado Camp Flagging Expedition

Postby wayne1 on Sun Apr 24, 2016 1:24 pm

I am having difficulty in e mailing directly. I will be returning from Lost Coast on May 1st and will not be able to make this trip. I am interested in any and all work in that area. So far I believe Vado is my favorite camp. Long time ago there were downed trees in the camp and someone has removed all the trees in the camp and it was in outstanding shape when I last visited. Now that you can reach Launtz, it makes reaching Vado extremely easy. I would love sometime to go out there and camp at Vado and work back towards Launtz. I believe it was about 15 years ago I hiked beyond Vado and there were some wonderful, beautiful spots about a mile from camp. I have no idea what the trail looks like today. I know when I went last it was in bad shape and I am assuming it would simply be gone today.
wayne1

Postby fat popi on Mon Apr 18, 2016 3:39 pm

Ok Jack,sounds great. Im out for trip to Big sur trail today. Email me il email as soon as I het back with more information about any others who could join us. Cheers
fat popi

Postby jack_glendening on Mon Apr 18, 2016 3:12 pm

A good meeting place would be the large open space at the top of the climb up from the scout reservation (with a view), 0.1 mile north of the Mt Manuel Trail intersection sign. I plan to get there at 8:00. I want to start early so that, after making all the effort of getting out to Launtz Ridge and Vado, I don't then end up running out of daylight. Searching for old signs of the trail (saw cuts, tread, rockwork, etc) and trying to flag a good route takes considerably more time than just bushwhacking.

I'd like to know ahead of time how many people would be coming so I can plan - but that can wait until just before the hike.

Jack
Big Sur Trailmap: http://bigsurtrailmap.net
jack_glendening

Postby fat popi on Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:36 am

Il try to gather up some Big sur rec crew folks,but im intrrested. We would be coming from pico public,maybe a meetup time,place? Luantz ridge?
fat popi

Vado Camp Flagging Expedition

Postby jack_glendening on Sun Apr 17, 2016 10:15 am

On Sunday May 1 I plan to extend flagging of the currently "lost" north end of the Mount Manuel Trail south from Launtz Creek Camp all the way to Vado Camp. About 0.2 mile of the 0.9 miles between camps has already been flagged, stopping at the edge of a ceanothus jungle. On my last dayhike I found the route through that jungle, so this expedition will (hopefully) extend the flagging all the way to Vado Camp.

Vado Camp is considered by many the quintessential redwood camp - secluded, peaceful, and seldom visited. A sign remains, but no picnic table.

If you wish to join this effort please send an email ("envelope" icon on sidebar). Please understand that this trip's main purpose is to find and follow the historic Mt Manuel Trail, not a bushwacking trip - it is NOT to simply get to Vado Camp. The total distance, starting from the Pico Blanco Scout Reservation, will be 7.4 miles with 2000 ft elevation gain - the 1.8 miles between camps will be difficult and slow. It will be an all-day hike, starting at first light and returning late in the day. Light creekwalking may be required. You should expect to do some brush bashing, and bring along loppers, and possibly a saw, to help get clear some brush.

Jack
Big Sur Trailmap: http://bigsurtrailmap.net
jack_glendening

Return to Trails and Trailwork Discussion