Forums
Ventana Wilderness Forums • View topic - Mt Manuel Trail to Launtz Creek Camp

Mt Manuel Trail to Launtz Creek Camp

This is the place to discuss anything related to Trail Crew, outings, or anything trail-related.

Moderators: Betsy M, VWA Admin 2, dknapp1

Re: Mt Manuel Trail to Launtz Creek Camp

Postby wayne22 on Sun Feb 28, 2016 12:45 pm

Thank you Thank you Thank you Like I said I struggled with climbing out of Launtz and it was just a terrible bunch of brush and branches. I have done trail work and I know how difficult and time consuming it is to clear a section that jumbled. It is just the final trail section dropping to Launtz that has some ankle problems but going all the way to the boyscout camp is outstanding. Let me know I will be willing to help out with trail to Vado.
wayne22

Mt Manuel Trail to Launtz Creek Camp

Postby jack_glendening on Sat Feb 27, 2016 5:59 pm

Nearly 5 years after starting to look for the north end of the Mt Manuel Trail, delayed in large part by foot problems, yesterday I finally finished a viable flagged route extending to Launtz Creek Camp from the Little Sur Trail - you can view the route as the "Launtz Creek Usetrail" on my Big Sur Trailmap: http://bigsurtrailmap.net

While flagged and mostly cleared, and easily followable, the tread is rough and difficult on the ankles. Still, my return from Launtz Creek Camp to the Scout Reservation took only 90 minutes, the fastest I've ever done it.

I now need to work on extending the flagging on to Vado Camp!

My thanks to all who assisted with this effort, most notably Paul Danielson - my hiking companion on my first attempt back in 2011 (we were not able to get to the camp, but did find some rockwork and other trail artifacts) and on several later hikes which did much of the flagging. Some of the pink flags he placed in 2011 are still visible along the current route. He could not be there physically, but was there in spirit.

Jack
Big Sur Trailmap: http://bigsurtrailmap.net
jack_glendening

Return to Trails and Trailwork Discussion