Forums
Ventana Wilderness Forums • View topic - South Fork Expedition

South Fork Expedition

This is the place to discuss anything related to Trail Crew, outings, or anything trail-related.

Moderators: Betsy M, VWA Admin 2, dknapp1

Re: South Fork Expedition

Postby Wilderwill2 on Sun Feb 28, 2016 12:59 pm

Hi Jack - Great news! I talked to you about doing South Fork trail restoration on the SC Boronda trail trip. I would like to go, but I won't be available until March 17 to March 31st. Also my friend Alan "bulldozer" Robertson says he want to go also. If you can't work around my time limitations, he says he wants to go anyway.

William Salmon, (Wilderwill)

831 915-2541
Wilderwill2

Re: South Fork Expedition

Postby Alladin on Thu Feb 25, 2016 10:01 am

Is that section of trail about 3-miles?
Alladin

South Fork Expedition

Postby jack_glendening on Wed Feb 24, 2016 7:30 pm

Black Cone Camp is currently dry, so an ACE trailcrew hitch which was expected to be based there, working on the Black Cone Trail, will instead be based at Strawberry Camp to start clearing tread along the South Fork Trail. But that route must first be flagged since it is currently sketchy - the last Trail Report (Sept 2013) reports often losing the trail between Strawberry and South Fork Camp.

I have volunteered to do that flagging but want to also solicit others interested in joining - more people will allow a wider area to be searched more quickly (and I'm over 70 so bushwhacking is getting more difficult!). This effort will require at least one backpack of 3-4 days. Note that we are not simply trying to flag a route along the South Fork, but instead undertaking the more difficult and tedious task of finding and marking the old tread, so a trailcrew can clear it. It will not be easy - I've heard about blackberry vines, fallen trees, etc. along the route. I assume we will have to do some lopping and sawing just to find the trail. Our primary guidance we will be a GPS track of Brian Lucido from June 2011 - also, Steve Benoit flagged there about 5 years ago (but that has not been mentioned in the last trail reports so don't know whether those flags still remain). Beyond those, we will have to use our eyes and trail sense, looking for tread, sawed branches, etc.

This must be done prior to April, so I will be making a first backpack soon. If interested in joining this effort to restore a "lost" trail, let me know by email (click "envelope" icon at right, under my name).
Big Sur Trailmap: http://bigsurtrailmap.net
jack_glendening

Return to Trails and Trailwork Discussion