Ventana Wilderness Forums • View topic - Water status at Goat Camp?

Water status at Goat Camp?

This is the place to discuss anything related to Trail Crew, outings, or anything trail-related.

Moderators: Betsy M, VWA Admin 2, dknapp1

Re: Water status at Goat Camp?

Postby hoiza on Sat Oct 10, 2015 8:40 am

Thanks so much, Hillary. Good to know about Trail Springs, too — we read that it had dried up but sounds like we'll have a refill opportunity on the way.

And thanks for the heads up about the bugs!

Will post a trail report after our adventure.
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2015 5:23 pm

Re: Water status at Goat Camp?

Postby Hillary on Fri Oct 09, 2015 2:35 pm

Hi... I was out there about a week ago and there was certainly enough water at Goat Camp. There is a very small amount of water still flowing at Trail Spring Camp. It sounds like your route will take you past there so you could refill there too. I didn't walk up the creek at Vicente to see how far up stream the water was. I'm sure it was flowing because there was a tent at one of the upper camps.

I would very strongly recommend bug screens for your face - the flies are insane right now. They aren't bad at Goat Camp or Vincente, but you will want them for the upper elevations. A simple head net is the difference between an enjoyable hike and a miserable one.

Please note that there are road crews on Naci-Ferg a lot lately - the road has gotten a lot skinnier in the last month or so. I got delayed about 10 minutes yesterday with a crew pushing dirt around to make berms at the edge of the road.

Good luck with your trek. Have fun.
User avatar
Posts: 39
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2014 12:21 pm

Water status at Goat Camp?

Postby hoiza on Thu Oct 08, 2015 3:52 pm

First of all — this forum has been terrific in helping us plan our trip to Cone Peak!

We will be doing the loop around Cone Peak (park at Cone Peak Road > Cone Peak Trail > Gamboa > Stone Ridge > Vicente > back to Cone Peak Road) and plan on camping at Goat Camp for the first night and Vicente Flat Camp on the second night.

With the drought and our elementary understanding USGS water data, does anyone know if the water is still flowing at Goat Camp? The last trail report we found was from August, so wanted to be extra sure. It'll be the difference of bringing enough water for the day vs. water for two days — and with those elevation gains, I would prefer the former!


Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2015 5:23 pm

Return to Trails and Trailwork Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest