Forums
Ventana Wilderness Forums • View topic - Alvin Trail in Limekiln State Park

Alvin Trail in Limekiln State Park

This is the place to discuss anything related to Trail Crew, outings, or anything trail-related.

Moderators: Betsy M, VWA Admin 2, dknapp1

Re: Alvin Trail in Limekiln State Park

Postby steveu on Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:04 am

sorry for getting of the topic folks and thanks for the reply, it sort of answers my question,
steveu

Postby gfelsman on Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:24 pm

Not to get off topic here. but the VWA has a good relationship the Forest Service. They us the VWA Website for the latest trail conditions. Also if it were not for the VWA, the forest service may not be using what little money they do have for trail work to support the efforts of the VWA and keeping other trails clear. Keep sending your checks to the VWA.

Check this link out at the bottom of the page.

http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/lpnf/alerts-notices/?cid=stelprdb5347980
gfelsman

Postby steveu on Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:59 am

VWA hiring it's self out? I'm kind of ignorant of the relationship the VWA has with the forest service, do the forest service pay for trail maint? I've been giving a check to VWA, and sometimes wonder what is paid for by whom,
steveu

Postby jbl on Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:25 am

Wow-the VWA should hire itself out to do the trailwork on the state part trails, we could do it for a lot less and could use the $$$...
jbl

Postby jack_glendening on Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:32 pm

Thats ~$125,000 per mile - a bargain compared to the ~$1,200,000 per mile for the new Pfeiffer Falls Trail!

Jack
Big Sur Trailmap: http://bigsurtrailmap.net
jack_glendening

Postby K Vandevere on Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:24 pm

I don't know why it's called the Alvin Trail, but it's a portion of the historic "Coast Trail" that is intended to become part of the future "California Coastal Trail." Caltrans agreed to pay for the reconstruction as a condition of approval for their permit to build the new bridge and rock shed at Pitkins Curve. I think it cost the taxpayers close to $100,000. The planning documents refer to it as the Alvin Trail, but I guess State Parks focused on the connection with the Coastal Trail and the Pitkins Curve project when drawing up their new map (which Caltrans also paid for). The whole exercise will be a waste of time and money, though, if State Parks won't open it.
K Vandevere

Postby jack_glendening on Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:20 pm

FWIW the offical name of the "Alvin Trail", i.e. the name on the State Park brochure map, is "Pitkins Curve - California Coastal Trail", which is quite a mouthful - I guess "Pitkins Curve Trail" for short. I don't know the provenance of the "Alvin Trail" moniker, but for now am going to continue to use that name as I see little relevance to the highway. State Parks seems to keep trails closed long after they have been made hikeable (e.g. Ewoldsen Trail after 2008 closure), I assume for some bureaucratic reason, so I'll be very interested to see when it does officially become open.

Jack
Big Sur Trailmap: http://bigsurtrailmap.net
jack_glendening

Postby K Vandevere on Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:59 pm

When I was there on June 16, the new Alvin Trail was complete, but officially closed. In addition to trail closed signs, brush was piled at both ends to discourage use. Yet, the public was not deterred. I saw a number of hikers using it. Since non-use is the quickest way to lose a trail, I'm not sure why State Parks built it, but didn't want people on it. It was certainly in better condition than the overgrown Twitchell Rd. I hope it's officially open now. It's a much nicer start to the Stone Ridge route on Cone Peak than walking up the shoulder of the highway.
K Vandevere

Postby jbl on Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:19 pm

Does anyone know whether the Alvin Trail is completed and/or open yet?
jbl

Previous

Return to Trails and Trailwork Discussion