Forums
Ventana Wilderness Forums • View topic - Alvin Trail in Limekiln State Park

Alvin Trail in Limekiln State Park

This is the place to discuss anything related to Trail Crew, outings, or anything trail-related.

Moderators: Betsy M, VWA Admin 2, dknapp1

Re: Alvin Trail in Limekiln State Park

Postby Cantare on Sun May 15, 2016 7:00 am

as of May 14, Alvin trail is in perfect shape, no signs or blockage at either end...yet apparently still "closed" according to the out-of-uniform Limekiln SP manager lady seen breathlessly accosting hikers thought to be headed for cone peak.
Cantare

Postby Chris L on Thu Jul 09, 2015 12:50 am

Actually, Jack, the "Alvin" of the Alvin Trail almost certainly refers to Alvin Dani of the homesteading Dani family in Lucia.
Chris L

Postby jack_glendening on Tue Jul 07, 2015 11:07 am

Thanks for posting that background info, Hal. What was the time frame for the establishment of the public campground ?

Interesting to hear that "Alvin" apparently does not come from any local usage or connection. For now I'll continue to refer to it as "Alvin Trail", as that is what I'd previously heard others call it, but am now more amenable to change to official State Parks name on my maps.

Jack
Big Sur Trailmap: http://bigsurtrailmap.net
jack_glendening

Postby haltreacy on Tue Jul 07, 2015 10:33 am

This reply is a little late in coming but here is some Alvin Trail info:
1. Anyone looking at an early (1930's) photo of Limekiln Bluff would see that there was no way any person or animal could travel South to
Limekiln without going inland, i.e., on the Cone Peak (East) side of Limekiln Bluff (I called it "Hill 888").
2. While establishing the public campground at Limekiln Creek, undersigned discovered traces of an old trail ascending North from the campground area up out of West Limekiln Creek and to the "saddle" at what today is known as Twitchell Road. From his earlier woodlands training he was able to gather campground volunteers each morning to clear this trail and rebuild it so that even a person on horseback could ride on it.
3. The British author J. Smeaton Chase probably had to ride up this trail after his visit to Limekiln (He noted its abandoned "machinery" in his 1911 book, "California Coast Trails). It is an important link from old times, possibly being the only easy path out of South Coast to get to communities to the North.
4. "Alvin" is not a local name (?) but it is common for Calif. State Parks to pick names from lists of contributors or political leaders.
With regards, Hal Treacy, developer and former owner, Limekiln Redwoods Campground.
haltreacy

Postby jbl on Tue Dec 23, 2014 5:26 pm

Currently:

(1) the Alvin Trail is in excellent shape, we tossed a bunch of branches etc. that had fallen onto it that were blocking it off the side when we went through on Sunday, the tread is in perfect condition the entire length; note that it is not really clear from signage whether the trail is closed; at the top there was no sign blocking the trail (we came in from the top), at the bottom there appeared to be a sign blocking access (it's a bit ambiguous), in any event I have no idea why it would be closed since it is in such pristine shape;
(2) alternatively, the Twitchell Road from Highway 1 up to the saddle where it intersects with the Alvin trail is a completely clear, unobstructed fire road (unlike the way it has been for many years since after the '08 fire, i.e. heavily overgrown with coastal chaparral that you had to dodge around).

Once you get up to the junction of Alvin/Twitchell, the State Park crews have done some clearing of the initial continuation of the Twitchell road over towards the West Fork crossing, but from where they stopped you have to push through some encroaching brush and climb through and over a few trees, but it's all pretty easy.

On Sunday the West Fork crossing was flowing strongly be we all got across dry by using some rocks and tree trunks that were there, and there is no danger, you could just take your boots off and walk across if you wanted

The section from the West Fork crossing up to Twichell Flat continues to be somewhat overgrown with encroaching brush along the way but the track is obvious at all times.

For day hikes you should consider going up to Stone Ridge Trail and then wandering left to Goat Camp or right to the Middle Fork (and on to the Hare Ridge if want the views from there); or go up the Stone Ridge use trail as high as you want (a group of us are going there on Saturday and hiking all the way up to Cone Peak).

Have fun.
jbl

Postby Betsy M on Tue Dec 23, 2014 4:10 pm

I think you can connect up from the Alvin Trail to the Twitchell Trail. It is kind of brushy, so watch carefully for turns. Once you get out in the open area, there are a couple of ways you can go but basically they all seem to connect up above. It is quite a steep uphill climb. Check out Jack Glendening's map page to get a better idea of the details:
http://www.bigsurtrailmap.net/
Betsy M

Postby rebeccaphone on Tue Dec 23, 2014 1:08 pm

Hello! This is my first time posting though I've read and appreciated the valuable info collected here for quite a while.

My question is this: With the Alvin trail completed, is it possible to hike from Limekiln state park via Alvin trail to Twitchell Road and on to the Stone Ridge trail? I will be camping there this weekend and interested in some day hikes from the campground. Any tips or suggestions on this trail or other nearby out-and-backs would be much appreciated!

Thanks!
rebeccaphone

Postby jbl on Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:13 am

The Alvin Trail appears to be 100% complete although there are tools up at the top so work may be continuing to shore up a few gully crossings; but more importantly, the Twitchell Road from Highway 1 up to the saddle and intersection with Alvin Trail has been completely cleared of all of the heavy coastal chaparral that had rendered it such an unpleasant slog, so this route is now actually viable again.

P1020760.JPG
Top section of Twitchell Road

P1020764.JPG
Middle section of coastal facing part of Twitchell Road
jbl

Postby steveu on Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:06 am

Thanks Betsy very informative
steveu

Postby Betsy M on Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:46 pm

The VWA is not paid by the Forest Service to do trailwork. We sometimes get grants, where WE pay half the cost of a professional crew, but our trail crews are 100% volunteers. I strongly encourage anyone who is interested to find out for yourself what is involved in working on one of our volunteer trail crews. See the VWA calendar on the left side of the homepage, or sign up on the VWA Meetup page.http://www.meetup.com/Ventana-Wilderness-Alliance-Meetup/ We are out there almost every weekend, and are nowhere near to catching up with the damage wrought by the major wildfires in the last 40 years.
Betsy M

Next

Return to Trails and Trailwork Discussion