Forums
Ventana Wilderness Forums • View topic - NCCC AmeriCorps work on the Santa Lucia Trail

NCCC AmeriCorps work on the Santa Lucia Trail

Moderators: Betsy M, VWA Admin 2, dknapp1

NCCC AmeriCorps work on the Santa Lucia Trail

Postby Trevor W on Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:28 pm

In July 2016 I started working on an application to get an AmeriCorps National Civilian Community Corps team to restore trails in the Mt Manuel area, including the Mt. Manuel Trail, the Lower Pine Ridge Trail, and the De Angulo Trail. Shortly after I reserved campsites at Pfeiffer Big Sur State Park and started planning trail surveys the Soberanes Fire burned through the area, scorching trees in the campground and leaving burn scars that are still visible from highway 1. Needless to say, the campground canceled my reservation. I made a plan-B to work out of Limekiln State Park on the Twitchell Flat Road, but soon the fire burned through that plan too. Plans gamma through omega also proved to be quite volatile next to the Soberanes fire.

I was nearly out of options because our funding was restricted to work in coastal areas—which were nearly all closed because of the fire—and it was beginning to look like AmeriCorps was going to send most of their teams from the Pacific Region to a disaster relief project in Baton Rouge, Louisiana. If not for Jack Glendening’s generous donation and request for work on the Santa Lucia Trail I wouldn’t have been able to get a team for this project. But with the promise of front country camping and showers at Arroyo Seco, I finally was given a team.

On November 4th, 2016 a team of 13 young, under equipped, under experienced, and highly motivated people arrived at the Arroyo Seco Campground. It took a lot of effort and patience, but eventually I aided them in their transformation from soft, green volunteers with camping gear that I wouldn’t be caught dead with to a hardened trail crew that could stay dry in December rains. In the seven weeks that they served with us they learned to identify plants (mainly the many forms of poison oak), properly brush a trail, cut fallen limbs and trees from the trail, and repair heavily damaged tread. As with any group of people some members learned quicker, and were harder working than others. But they always showed exemplary teamwork to get the job done.
DSCN0474.JPG
NCCC Gold 6 at the Adobe

During the seven weeks that the team served with us they built two single tier rock walls, maintained 3,738 yards of tread, brushed 3,014 yards of trail, and removed one large oak limb from the trail.
1 log before.JPG
3 log after.JPG

DSCN0467.JPG
DSCN0468.JPG

Many thanks to Jack Glendening, NCCC Gold 6, and everyone else who helped make this project possible.
Team at SLCT TH.JPG
Trevor W

Return to Tassajara Project Updates