Forums
Ventana Wilderness Forums • View topic - Garrapata State Park: Soberanes Canyon/Rocky Ridge Loop

Garrapata State Park: Soberanes Canyon/Rocky Ridge Loop

Re: Garrapata State Park: Soberanes Canyon/Rocky Ridge Loop

Postby K Vandevere on Tue Apr 07, 2015 4:19 pm

Date Hiked: April 7, 2015
General Condition: Impassable (completely overgrown or tread obliterated)

State Park employees and a CCC crew showed up this morning and fenced off the access to this trail. The signs say it will be closed for maintenance for 3 days, through 4/9. Plan accordingly.
K Vandevere

Postby K Vandevere on Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:39 pm

Date Hiked: January 20, 2014
General Condition: Clear (no obstacles and tread well defined)

Trail more popular than ever. On some of the steep sections the trail is now wider than a two-lane highway (due to people walking the edges to gain traction). We encountered 127 other walkers and 3 dogs, which is a lot for less than 5 miles of trail.
K Vandevere

Postby K Vandevere on Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:05 am

Date Hiked: January 1, 2012

In spite of the fact that a portion of this route remains officially "closed," it may well be the most heavily used trail in Monterey County. No one seems to care about having to scramble up the steep slope where the steps have slid out. It's a great walk with great views, but - due to steep grades and poor footing - remarkably punishing for such a short loop. Don't go here looking for solitude. Although we started our walk at 3:30 in the afternoon, we still counted over 80 other people on the trail.
K Vandevere

Postby K Vandevere on Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:08 pm

Date Hiked: May 29, 2011

I believe State Parks still considers this trail to be closed, but it is nonetheless heavily used by the public (a nearly continuous stream of people was passing over it when we were there on Memorial Day weekend). The reason for the closure is steps being washed out and other erosion, but people are obviously not deterred by having to scramble up the steep, crumbling slopes. And it's easy to see why it's so popular. Fantastic views, lots of wildflowers (still), and only a short drive from town. I suspect the "closure" of this trail is a preview of what a "closure" of the entire Garrapata State Park will look like, should that actually come to pass.
K Vandevere

Postby Hufferduffer on Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:01 pm

Date Hiked: December 9, 2010

[There were] trail closed signs. We hiked in none the less no issues. Have no idea what this is about.
Hufferduffer

Postby Chardero on Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:42 pm

Date Hiked: September 7, 2009

Trail is good until you go up. Just thought I'd share a couple of photos. On the way to the top the hillside has major trail migration (if that's the correct term). I'm amazed by the people who hike up there in tennis shoes. :P

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y200/c ... MG0066.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y200/c ... MG0064.jpg

Used direct link, I'm feeling too lazy to re-size.
Chardero

The 3mile round trip Soberanes Canyon Trail

Postby brad on Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:44 pm

Date Hiked: June 26, 2009

This is one of the easiest trails on Hwy 1 I have encountered so far. I just hiked this trail with my wife, 3 yr old daughter and our 3 month pregnant Sister with almost no trouble at all.
The trailhead is quick to miss for first timers so just look for the old tin barn on the west side of the road with parking on both sides of the road. The small creek that runs along this trail still has a decent flow of water and the creek itself is beautiful. You have to cross the creek 7-8 times with some kind of bridges at most crossings except for 2 that u can rock hop over.
The trail starts with coastal vegetation and slowly turns in to redwoods and ferns with plenty of shade for most of the hike. The only thing to watch out for is poison oak, the stuff is everywhere along the sides of the trail. In several spots the trail has wide steps for the steeper inclines (trail is not that steep at all).

Overall the trail is in great condition with nothing blocking the trail. It does seem to be a very popular trail so be ready for people at all points of the trail.
brad

Trail Conditions History 2001

Postby Site Administrator on Tue May 26, 2009 2:42 pm

Date Hiked: April 9, 2003

Submitted 4/09/2001 by Sarah Timmons

I hiked the Rocky Ridge - Soberanes loop this past weekend. The trail from the trail head up to Rocky Ridge and around the peak to the vernal pool was in good condition. From the vernal pool down to the canyon, some of the wooden steps are loose due to erosion.

The relatively new side loop trail through the redwoods is beautiful, but you have to keep a look out for poision oak encroaching on the sides of the trail.

Given all the rain in the past few months, the area is beautifully green with many colorful wildflowers. Now is a perfect time to go!

=============

Submitted 8/01/2001 by David Jacobs

I hiked the Rocky Ridge - Soberanes loop 3 weekends ago. State Parks, or some auxiliary group, has "improved" the trail. For my money they've done too much. From the trail head up to Rocky Ridge and around the peak to the vernal pool is unchanged. However from the vernal pool down to the canyon the steepest areas now have wood stairs built in. I rather liked the steep and slippery stretches.

From the intersection of the steep downhill with the dead end trail heading back to the highway has changed dramatically. First of all, the storms of 98 (El Nino) dramatically altered the stream bed, especially the last 1/4 mile before Hwy 1. Of particular interest to me was the downed 1st growth redwood that had about 7 new redwoods growing out of it. Pre El Nino one could walk underneath this tree in the stream bed. I'm guessing there was 5 feet of vertical clearance for about 20 feet laterally. Now it looks like the 7 young redwoods are growing out of the ground. Only upon close inspection can you see the downed giant. Over the next few years I suspect the silt will wash out, re-exposing the downed giant.

In addition to the silt issues, those crazy State Park trailophiles have installed little wooden footbridges over any little gully that might have water in it. The next step will be to make the entire route wheel chair accessible. This bodes well for me as old age nips at my heels.

=============
Site Administrator
Site Admin

Garrapata State Park: Soberanes Canyon/Rocky Ridge Loop

Postby Site Administrator on Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:00 pm

Although best-known for its two miles of coastal access along Highway 1, Garrapata State Park also boasts two beautiful trails leading inland east of the highway: the Soberanes Canyon Trail and the Rocky Ridge Trail. Taken together, these trails form a roughly 7-mile loop with approximately 1850 feet of elevation gain, encompassing the redwood-shaded canyon of Soberanes Creek and sweeping coastal views from Rocky Ridge.

The trailhead for both the Soberanes Canyon and Rocky Ridge trails is at turnout 13 on Highway 1, 7.1 miles south of the Intersection of Highway 1 and Carmel Valley Road.

For more information on these trails, take a look at the VWA's Visitor Information Page for a link to California State Parks' Garrapata page. You should also check out Hiking the Big Sur Country: the Ventana Wilderness by Jeffrey P. Schaffer ( http://www.ventanawild.org/maps/maps.html#schaffer ), which provides a trail map of the park and a full description of both the Rocky Ridge and Soberanes Creek trails, although admittedly written before the trails were joined to create a loop.
Site Administrator
Site Admin

Return to State Parks Trails