Forums
Ventana Wilderness Forums • View topic - Three Peaks Trail (aka Dutra)

Three Peaks Trail (aka Dutra)

Re: Three Peaks Trail (aka Dutra)

Postby jack_glendening on Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:52 pm

Date Hiked: June 11, 2017
General Condition: Passable (some brush and/or deadfalls, tread evident)

To follow up on the recent trailwork done on the southern end of this trail, Maria Ferdin and I worked on and flagged its northern end. The northern 0.3 mile is along a cleared road and so "wilderness freeway", the next 1.7 mile section (where our work was done, to 0.2 miles north of the ridge above Dutra Camp) is "passable" and the southern 1.1 mile is "clear".

Unfortunately, we found chapparal pea growing along the northern end of our section - it is stiff and prickly and not easy to push through when it knits together, as it will want to do if more extensive trailwork is not done on that section (it was flowering - and the pink flowers are pretty, but ...)
Big Sur Trailmap: http://bigsurtrailmap.net
jack_glendening

Postby Jeff Cannon on Sat May 06, 2017 6:15 pm

Date Hiked: May 6, 2017

The recent trail crew did a great job from Dutra Flat up over the first ridge and down through some very thick brush. It was quite obvious where they stopped. About half of the remaining route could be described as clear, the other half passable. It could definitely need some more work! Also, for those trying to find the route from the Ridge Road, it is the first gated side road south of the Salmon Creek Trail, about 2.5 miles from that junction. There is an ungated road heading East down into Hunter Liggett, but the one to Three Peaks camp goes west. It would be nice if the sign at this junction could be redone as there is nothing visible on it at all. Gate was closed buy not locked.
Jeff Cannon

Postby toejam on Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:18 am

Date Hiked: March 18, 2017

VWA & LPFA volunteers cleared the first 1.5 miles of the trail out of Dutra Flat Camp through the brushy section on the north side of the ridge. The trail past the barbed wire cairn and up the old road bed through the first few switchbacks is obvious for now. The trail through the brush north of the ridge is narrow, but it looks like a trail.

p.s. If hiking from the South Coast Ridge Rd towards Dutra Flat, follow a side road SW down the hill for 0.3 miles to where it turns sharply to the right toward Three Peaks Camp. The trail goes straight ahead there and follows a fire break on top of a ridge.
toejam

Postby billomansiek on Sun May 22, 2016 4:44 pm

Date Hiked: May 17, 2016
General Condition: Difficult (brushy and/or many deadfalls, faint tread)

The path to Three Peaks Camp from the Coast Ridge Road is easy to find and an easy down hill hike along an old road. The road is not passable in a vehicle, but easy on Foot. There was NO SIGN at the ridge that indicated that this road was the way to Three Peaks Camp. There is a gate (unchained and unlocked) at the top of this road to the Three Peaks Camp.
There is plenty of water flowing at Three Peaks Camp and a bunch of poison oak too. The camp is suitable for one or two tents, but my group was larger so we didn't end up using the camp for the night.

We tried to locate the Three Peaks Trail to head down hill to Dutra Flat, but we had no luck finding a marked trail, so instead we backtracked to Lion Den Camp and hiked down the Cruikshank Trail the following morning. It could be that the Three Peaks Trail is marked at the ridge, but we did not explore further along the ridge to find out. We found a faint trail spur off of the road that heads down to Three Peaks Camp. The access point for this trail is where that road meets its crest, but there is NO SIGN to indicate what trail that is. We didn't take this trail because we couldn't figure out for certain if it went down to Dutra Flat Camp, or if it was a trail that continued on to the Lottie Potrero Camp/Trail. We had a quadrant map with us, but it wasn't helpful enough to figure this all out. Should have brought a better map....
billomansiek

Postby davidMA on Sat Feb 13, 2016 1:54 pm

Date Hiked: February 6, 2016

Hiked from Salmon Creek Falls Trailhead to Dutra Flats to Three Peaks Camp in one day. Thanks to the great volunteer(s) who trimmed the PO along the Spruce Creek Trail.

Water: There was water at most of the ephemeral creeks along the trails. Water is not an issue.

Trail - Trail erosion is also not an issue. We cleared a 6" pine off of the beggining portion of the Three Peaks Trail. Not a lot of PO along the Three Peaks trail, if any.

Three Peaks trail follows the firebreak out of Dutra Flat. The most difficult part of the trail is the uphill portion out of Dutra. Look for the red tape flagging and ducks/cairns. It's a Flintstone carwash once you crest the first hill then start down, then the trail clears up for a spell. No ticks. I did some brush clearing and cutting along the way, but more needs to be done. However, the trail is not so bad that you can't follow it. The second large hill is...not fun. The road to Three peaks is in good shape, but water has eroded a corner out and there is a ditch you have to jump, a small jump, crossable by all except cars.

Camp - The Three Peaks Camp is in good shape and there is plenty of water there. The table is in okay shape, some of the boards are rotting, but it is usable. Dutra Flats camp was occupied but only one table was functional. The water at Dutra was flowing good.
davidMA

Postby toejam on Sun Jan 31, 2016 9:32 am

Date Hiked: January 29, 2016

Hiked from Dutra Flat to South Coast Ridge Rd. Tough to follow the trail out of Dutra Flat my first time on this trail. Corners of the switchbacks are overgrown and have deadfall to confuse the issue, and the old maps show no switchbacks at all. But the road bed becomes apparent with a little patience. Great views from the top of the ridge and along the old dozer cut all the way to South Coast Ridge Rd. There are some tight green tunnels on the north side of the ridge above Dutra, but the hike went smoothly after that, remembering I was following a fire break along the ridge top. Only minor bleeding at the other end. Gate at the top of the road to 3 Peaks Camp is locked with a removable chain link.
toejam

Re: Gate busted open to Three Peaks Camp allowing 4WD access

Postby gfelsman on Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:14 pm

Forestkeeper wrote:Date Hiked: June 13, 2015

My trail report isn't so much about the trail as it is about the fact that the gate up at the top of the Coast Ridge Road is now open, looks like some 4WD'ers have cut the chain allowing them access all the way down to Three Peaks Camp. I'm so frustrated at this, I hiked 17.5 miles into the wilderness just to be around a bunch of beer drinking loud music yahoo's.

You should report this to the Monterey Ranger District if you have not already.
gfelsman

Gate busted open to Three Peaks Camp allowing 4WD access.

Postby Forestkeeper on Mon Jun 15, 2015 10:59 am

Date Hiked: June 13, 2015

My trail report isn't so much about the trail as it is about the fact that the gate up at the top of the Coast Ridge Road is now open, looks like some 4WD'ers have cut the chain allowing them access all the way down to Three Peaks Camp. I'm so frustrated at this, I hiked 17.5 miles into the wilderness just to be around a bunch of beer drinking loud music yahoo's.
Forestkeeper

Postby jjj on Mon Apr 20, 2015 12:20 pm

Date Hiked: March 31, 2015

We hiked on the third day of a four day trip from South Coast Ridge Road to Dutra Flat. As HikePieHike mentioned below, there's no sign at the fork between the descent into the Three Peaks Camp and continuing on the trail, but someone has created a new handwritten sign indicating the trail head on South Coast Ridge Road. There were some areas where we had to fight through brush, especially in the final ascent to the top of the ridge above Dutra Flat. Without a map, that section would have also been a bit difficult to find, but outside of that, navigation generally wasn't difficult since almost the entire trail follows a ridge.
jjj

Postby Jim Ringland on Fri Mar 20, 2015 4:51 pm

Date Hiked: March 19, 2015

I hiked this west to east (up hill). Having hiked this in the past, I didn't have the route finding difficulties the last few posters had. The only tricky section for me was finding where the trail leaves the valley near Dutra. (See jbl's April 6, 2013 post below.) Beyond that, open eyes and a few cairns can guide the way. Some pushing through the chaparral, but nothing too bad. Some steep grades. There was a breeze when I hiked, but I can imagine exposure to the hot sun could be a real risk here on a warm day.

Going up this trail was the last leg of a three-day loop that started at the top after the 14 mile drive up the Willow Creek and South Coast Ridge Roads. The first night I walked down to Three Peaks Camp. The trail down is an old road and is clear. Three Peaks is a nice camp in a narrow riparian corridor through what is otherwise dry chaparral (manzanita, chamise, ceanothus, etc.) dotted with Coulter Pines. The camp is under oaks and bays. New sign. There are two camping areas. Right from the sign as you come in is a wooded camp with a stove and table. (The table is much, much older than that new sign). Left from the sign is a sunny, grassy flat. Noisy burbling stream. Mod cons. Three Peaks Camp is one of the few with a still-intact, if old and creaky, wooden toilet. (Correct me if I'm wrong, though. Burying one's waste 6" down seems the more environmentally appropriate option.)

Jim Ringland
Jim Ringland

Next

Return to Silver Peak Wilderness Trails