Forums
Ventana Wilderness Forums • View topic - San Carpóforo Trail (aka Spruce Creek, Dutra Flats)

San Carpóforo Trail (aka Spruce Creek, Dutra Flats)

Re: San Carpóforo Trail (aka Spruce Creek, Dutra Flats)

Postby gfelsman on Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:11 am

Date Hiked: February 10, 2018
General Condition: Passable (some brush and/or deadfalls, tread evident)

Hiked this trail Saturday, lots of flowers out now. Dutra Flat Camp was in good shape. Be sure to keep the gates closed as cattle are roaming the hills. Water is flowing at the camp.

The report below is accurate with approx. 6 trees across the trail. All are easy to get around. One tree near the Spruce Creek Slide can be slippery when crossing.

The trail itself is in fair shape with some encroaching brush. With the slide repaired the trail is really enjoyable.
gfelsman

Postby gfelsman on Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:04 am

Date Hiked: January 20, 2018

This report is from a friend of mine. A few new trees down.

Kelly, Willa, and I went on a hike Saturday to Dutra Flats. Willa took some pictures to show you what we found along the way. Picture 6 is a new log across the Salmon Creek Trail about 1/8 mile from the Spruce Creek Trail Junction. I cut some branches off it to make getting back on the trail a little easier. On the Spruce Creek Trail, another log, picture 7 has fallen across the trail between the overlook and the slide. Again, we cut some branches to open up the way back onto the tread, picture 8 is of me standing on the tread on the slide side of the log. Up at the slide, picture 1, the tread has held up pretty good with only some small rocks on the trail and your tools are still there. The big tree we cut looks like it's still where we left it. The split log beyond that was wet and very slippery, I cut a notch into it to give a more solid place to put your foot if you needed one. Just beyond there, the end of a log that was at the edge of the tread, shifted and now juts into the trail. You can get around it, but it should be cut back out of the way.
Other than getting around the three logs further up the trail (which was easy), the trail up to the saddle, and on to Dutra Flat, is in good shape.

- John
Attachments
8.png
7.png
6.png
1.png
gfelsman

Postby gfelsman on Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:23 pm

Date Hiked: December 30, 2017
General Condition: Clear (no obstacles and tread well defined)

Yes, the Spruce Creek slide is now passable. With the help of volunteers, from VWA , myself and others we had very successful day on the trail repairing the Spruce Creek Slide. I was glad we had many strong individuals and very experienced Sawyers, Robert, Jean and Steve to help guide us through these difficult cuts. They provided the expertise, while the rest of us tagged teamed to provide labor to make this happen.

Note: Be aware that there is a large tree parallel to the trail above the main slide area. It could move at anytime depending on soil, weather and tree conditions. It is recommended that one not stop along this section of trail for a snack or lunch. There is also possibility the hill will slide again during the winter rains.

The repaired route is along the original tread line established in 1997. Still plenty to do along this section of trail.

Lastly, be safe out there and we are still in Level III Fire Restrictions meaning no campfires even with the cold night ahead.
Attachments
Spruce Creek Slide Finished 1 12-30-2018.jpg
View from the upper end of the slide. One small tree to step over in the middle. Photo Courtesy of Steve Cypher.
gfelsman

Postby jbl on Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:10 pm

Date Hiked: December 31, 2017

UPDATE RE SLIDE AND TREE JUMBLE: A group of us removed the 3 trees (2 large, one not so large but required a lot of cuts) on 12/30. See pictures from the Salmon Creek end of the problem area:

01-before-from downtrail.JPG
Before

07-after from downtrail.JPG
After
jbl

Re: San Carpóforo Trail - Spruce Creek Slide Passable

Postby gfelsman on Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:48 pm

Date Hiked: December 23, 2017

Just to let everyone know. The worst tree along the slide is now passable. We built tread along the slide under the tree then back over to the other side. There are still a couple of trees to climb over to return to the main trail. But the treacherous section has been fixed for the most part.

Still plenty of work to do in the future.
Attachments
Spruce Creek Slide 1.jpg
Spruce Creek Slide 2.jpg
Spruce Creek Slide 3.jpg
Spruce Creek Slide 4.jpg
gfelsman

Re: San Carpóforo Trail Spruce Creek Slide

Postby gfelsman on Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:21 am

Date Hiked: November 28, 2017
General Condition: Difficult (brushy and/or many deadfalls, faint tread)

To all:

I wanted to pass along the Ventana Wilderness Alliance, USFS and Volunteer Rangers are working on a solution to help get pass the slide. Some work has been done identifying best route to take. The route will be closer to the original line that was established in 1997. Stay tuned for more information. It may take a few months to complete.

Some people are getting across with great care and skill. Error on the side of caution if attempting to cross the slide.
Attachments
Big Tree at Spruce Creek.jpg
gfelsman

Postby gfelsman on Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:53 pm

Date Hiked: September 16, 2017
General Condition: Difficult (brushy and/or many deadfalls, faint tread)

This is just a quick note.

The slide near Spruce Creek about a mile up from the Salmon Creek junction has gotten much worse. For some it may be impassable, from my friends description it looks like a third large tree has come down on the trail and a good portion of the hill has also come down. We talked to two other individuals, one scrambled across it with great difficulty, the other said it was to dangerous to even try. Two groups of hiking friends looked at the slide and decided not to cross. Risk was just too great. I hope to get some pictures in the near future.

Be safe when traversing through the wilderness.
gfelsman

Postby Forestkeeper on Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:29 pm

Date Hiked: June 13, 2015

The Spruce Creek Trail is generally speaking a "wilderness highway" but there has been a fallen tree that has been blocking the trail at a steep embankment that is a bit too dangerous for the average hiker, so thus why I'm reporting this. To me, passing the log is an adventure, but I can see how it would easily become a show stopper for a group of merry hikers. The log is to be found near where the trail itself runs close to the creek. This would be about midway up the trail between Salmon Creek Trail and the saddle that separates Salmon Creek/Spruce Creek watershed from the Dutra watershed. There is a particular slope that has had lots of slides in the past and that is exactly where this log is. The surrounding foliage is mostly thimbleberries. The log has a decent girth to it so that one must climb over the log to pass. Over the past few months the passage of hikers has really worn most of the roots that held together the hillside. At the most precarious place someone could easily lose his or her step and fall into the creek after a few glancing blows of boulders on the way to the bottom. If there was a good reason for bringing a crew out with a saw, this would be that time.
Forestkeeper

Postby jbl on Thu Apr 30, 2015 6:34 am

Date Hiked: April 25, 2015

THIS REPORT COVERS THE ENTIRE LENGTH OF THE TRAIL OTHER THAN THE SECTION FROM THE FIRST BIG MEADOW BELOW TURKEY SPRINGS CAMP AND WHERE THE TRAIL HITS THE BALDWIN RANCH ROAD (WE BYPASSED THAT SECTION ON A CROSS-COUNTRY ROUTE)

MY "CLEAR" REPORT IS AN AVERAGE REFLECTING THAT IT'S WILDERNESS FREEWAY MOST OF THE LENGTH BUT ONLY RATED PASSABLE IN THE AREA NEAR SAN CARPOFORO CAMP

Water Report:

1. the pipe at Dutra Flat was flowing slowly but steadily
2. water was flowing strongly at Turkey Springs Camp
3. water is still flowing moderately through San Carpoforo Camp

Section: Salmon Creek Trail to Dutra Flat Camp: Wilderness Freeway; the historic slide area before the first (very small) switchback has gotten worse with a new ~3' tree having slid down across it, so the new workaround requires you to drop about 15' below the tree

Section: Dutra Flat Camp to Turkey Springs Camp: Wilderness Freeway; however, on some of the large meadow crossings the tread becomes faint and/or indistinguishable from animal tracks so it helps to have a GPS track to guide you across

Section: Turkey Springs Camp to first big meadow area about .3 miles below: Wilderness Freeway but the track in the meadow becomes faint

[we used a bypass from the end of the meadow which drops 200' directly down to the Baldwin Ranch Road]

Section: where trail leaves Baldwin Ranch Road to San Carpoforo Camp: Passable. This historically tricky section is problematic because there's so much growth down in the flat area near SC Camp. You need to leave the BRR at a meadow on your right and head to a sign where the brush starts, which is where the trail goes through that brush and crosses San Carpoforo Creek (which was virtually dry at this location; it was flowing moderately when I was there on 3/14/15), you then go along a narrow meadow for several hundred feet before the trail goes into the brush on your right and that brush is pretty thick and always growing in so you've got to push your way into that and the actual route to where the trail officially recrosses the creek isn't that clear; right near the creek crossing there is a log and some rocks so you can make it across dry (otherwise your going to get wet because it's about 2' deep) and you then need to make your way out onto a large meadow and again the routing gets confusing as to where you cut into the brush on your left to get to the "official" San Carpoforo Camp (where the fire pit/grill is under an oak tree on an large, permanent sandbar/island between a typically dry branch of San Carpoforo Creek (which you cross as you get to camp) and the flowing branch on the other side). My advice: the actual trail (reflected on the Big Sur Trailmaps track) goes through a very thick section of PO, so it is better to continue through the big meadow staying close to the brush on your left and when you almost are at the end of the meadow there's a track into the brush on your left that's clear and shorter and that will take you to San Carpoforo Camp without the need to rub on a bunch of PO.
jbl

Postby jjj on Mon Apr 20, 2015 12:29 pm

Date Hiked: March 30, 2015

On the last day of a four day trip, we hiked from Dutra Flat to the Salmon Creek trail head on PCH. The fields surrounding Dutra Flat were green and there were many small purple flowers. There were very small amounts of encroaching poison oak on the final wooded descent to the Salmon Creek trail, otherwise this entire section was very clear.

The spring near the Dutra Flat camp was only a trickle when we arrived in the afternoon of the previous day, but it was flowing by evening.
jjj

Next

Return to Silver Peak Wilderness Trails