Forums
Ventana Wilderness Forums • View topic - Salmon Creek Trail

Salmon Creek Trail

Salmon Creek Trail

Postby jbl on Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:09 pm

Date Hiked: March 8, 2014
General Condition: Wilderness Freeway (Heavily used and well maintained)

SECTION HIKED: TRAILHEAD AT HIGHWAY 1 TO SPRUCE CREEK CAMP

This section is (not surprisingly) Wilderness Freeway.

Spruce Creek Camp was surprisingly empty given the beautiful weather.
jbl

Re: Salmon Creek Trail

Postby kgriffith99 on Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:07 pm

Date Hiked: January 25, 2012
General Condition: Difficult (brushy and/or many deadfalls, faint tread)

The trail was wilderness freeway until Estrella Camp. Minor washouts, very minor bushwhacking. However, soon after Estrella there is a ~50 ft washout that probably turns back most non-committed hikers. It's at a fairly steep angle, faint tread, and a long way to slide down if you fall. After that, the trail becomes quite overgrown - lots of stiff pointy branches, spanish bayonets blocking the trail entirely and stabbing through your clothing - not enjoyable. I fear that if the trail does not get significant work this year it will be lost to the wilderness.
kgriffith99

Postby jayhardy on Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:28 pm

Date Hiked: August 13, 2013
General Condition: Difficult (brushy and/or many deadfalls, faint tread)

Salmon Creek Trail is OK until you get to Estrella Camp, then it gets difficult....very difficult. Very overgrown, dangerous washouts, much PO. Vegetation connects in the middle of the trail....yes, you will get bloody. Not a fun hike. But very nice at the top and Lion Den Camp is wonderful. Excellent view of the valley and ocean.
Jay
jayhardy

Postby mikesplain on Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:20 am

Date Hiked: August 12, 2013
General Condition: Passable (some brush and/or deadfalls, tread evident)

Reported by Gier:

Section- Salmon Creek Trailhead to Spruce Camp-
-No significant population of invasive weeds in this area (aside from the fennel and the pampas grass in the beginning of the trail.
-The beginning of the trail is very confusing. The trail lacks signage and direction. We almost got lost following the creek. aside from that, the trail has no major issues.
-There is water in the creek nearby Spruce, and a little garbage problem.

Section- Spruce Camp to Estrella Camp-
-Trail has no major issues
-Estrella Camp has water, no waste problem

Section- Estrella Camp and beyond
-There is a very bad erosion issue just above Estrella Camp. Even we had a problem crossing it. The side of the mountain/hill is gravel and erodes easy.
-Aside from that, no significant issue in the trail. We stopped before we reached the road since one of us wasn't feeling well. We turned around and marked the point in the GPS.
mikesplain

Salmon Creek Trail-to Spruce Camp

Postby jbl on Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:58 am

Date Hiked: April 6, 2013

The section of Salmon Creek Trail up to Spruce Camp continues to be a Wilderness Freeway
jbl

Salmon Creek Trail Maintenance Report

Postby TheForestKeeper on Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:42 pm

Date Hiked: April 7, 2013
General Condition: Clear (no obstacles and tread well defined)

Having crossed paths with numerous people over the past year complaining about the upper Salmon Creek Trail (some of them bloody, clothes ripped, and infected with poison oak), I decided to invest in some loppers and go merrily lopping my way up from Estrella Camp to the Coast Ridge Road. I've put in about 12 hours of work over the course of the last two weekends. Last weekend was a day hike and nearly knocked me out. I couldn't wear a pack the next day. This weekend however I got about 8 hours of work there clearing the heavy brush and poison oak that created a number of brush tunnels fit for a skinny muchkin. I'm a six footer with a large frame and I'd rate this trail now as Clear greater than 98% of the trail. The remaining less than 2% is some areas of mild (not bothersome) chamise encroachment that is not up to my eyeballs and I felt was easy enough to get through and also chamise seems to repel poison oak so there's none of that in those regions. There are a minor few areas where there are residual poison oak above waist, I'm trying to mentally count and can only count one place where I left some living. Personally, I've never been bothered per se by poison oak, it only bothers me when it gets under the surface from cuts or scrapes. So I was very brave and really hacked back at it and yanking it out of the overstory. There should only be like 3 places on the entire trail you have to stoop down a wee bit. And you should be able to avoid it fully except for the ground cover kind. The vine and bush poison oak are completely clear.

As for my method of picking which areas to concentrate on initially, anything that slightly caught at my clothing or pack got whacked back. Some areas I hit 3 separate times where I can tell I mentally accepted a slight improvement only to find on a later trip that it needed quite a bit more hacked away. Oh, also I cleaned up the Cruikshank Trail real good like between Lions Den Camp and the Coast Ridge Road. There should only be one place you have to squeeze through, maybe 50 feet of hitting some oak and chamise, but nothing that will catch on your pack. I'm hoping to see more brave souls go all the way up to the top now. The only bad areas are chamise and that's nothing to be wary of!
TheForestKeeper

Postby khammer8280 on Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:44 am

[b]Date Hiked:[/b] March 12, 2013
[b]General Condition:[/b] Wilderness Freeway (Heavily used and well maintained)

salmon creek trail from spruce creek (san carpoforo) trailhead to end of trail at highway 1.
trail is easy to follow through this section as it drops down to highway 1.
khammer8280

Postby RSI SamE on Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:17 pm

Date Hiked: January 28, 2013

Salmon Creek Trail
Twixt Hwy 1
And Spruce Creek Trail
• Trail: Wilderness Freeway
• People: 0
• Signage: Signs present at highway and Spruce Creek Trail junction. The latter is heavily graffitied, mostly names.
RSI SamE

Postby Rainer on Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:36 pm

Date Hiked: February 9, 2013
General Condition: Passable (some brush and/or deadfalls, tread evident)

I did the following loop:
Hwy 1 --> Salmon Creek Trail --> Coast Ridge Road --> Silver Peak Usetrail to Silver Peak --> Soda Wildtrail --> Buckeye Trail

Salmon Creek Trail: Mostly clear, but suffers from encroaching brush as it nears Coast Ridge Road. I therefore rate it "Passable".
Silver Peak Usetrail: Mostly clear, but has a few brief sections with annoying vegetation.
Soda Wildtrail: This one is bad. Full contact wrestling with ceanothus until at last it reaches the hilltop from which it descends to the Buckeye Trail. The trail is still there, but extremely hard to follow. Almost "Impassable".
Buckeye Trail: Clear.
Rainer

Postby gfelsman on Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:18 pm

Date Hiked: February 9, 2013
General Condition: Clear (no obstacles and tread well defined)

Eight of us hiked the Salmon Creek Trail from HWY 1 to Dutra Flat and back. We had a crisp and cold morning but it was quite pleasant by the time we reached Dutra Flat. We saw plenty of wildflowers on the way, Shooting Stars, Chocolate Lilies, Hounds Tongue, Iris and Milk Maids to name a few.

The trail itself is as follows:

Salmon Creek to Dutra Flat/Spruce Creek Junction, Clear with some encroaching brush.

Spruce Creek Trail to Saddle, Passable to Clear plenty of encroaching brush. A couple of trees down across the trail, one just past the Spruce Creek Slide a large oak came down. Luckily there was an easy place to duck under and around the tree. Another oak came down a little further but was easy to step over.

Dutra Flat, the spring is flowing well, making it muddy just before the camp. The cows have made a mess of that section.

All in all it was a beautiful day.
Last edited by gfelsman on Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gfelsman

PreviousNext

Return to Silver Peak Wilderness Trails