Forums
Ventana Wilderness Forums • Post a reply

Ewoldsen Trail

Trail Report

In the form below, enter a Subject line or title (optional), the date you hiked the trail, and a a rating as to the general passability of that trail then follow up with a more detailed narrative of the specific conditions or problems encountered. For the longer trails some folks like to segment the specific conditions part of their reports, reporting conditions in a serial fashion between landmarks such as camps or junctions. This is fine so long as the entire report is specific to a particular named trail.

Enter the code exactly as it appears. All letters are case insensitive.
Wilderness Freeway: Heavily used and well maintained.
Clear: No obstacles and tread well defined.
Passable: Some brush and/or deadfalls, tread evident.
Difficult: Brushy and/or many deadfalls, faint tread.
Impassable: Completely overgrown or tread obliterated.

BBCode is ON
[img] is OFF
[flash] is OFF
[url] is ON
Smilies are OFF
Topic review

Expand view Topic review: Ewoldsen Trail

Re: Ewoldsen Trail

Post by tranandaman on Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:03 am

Date Hiked: June 9, 2015
General Condition: Clear (no obstacles and tread well defined)

No issues as far as we could tell!
I'll let our camera do the talking... Here's a one-minute view from our trip:

https://vimeo.com/justat/ewoldsen

Post by pantilat on Mon Jan 05, 2015 7:56 pm

Date Hiked: December 27, 2014
General Condition: Clear (no obstacles and tread well defined)

The Ewoldsen Loop is entirely open (ocean side and canyon side) and it's in great shape. The Waters Trail was also brushed with a couple newly fallen trees that are easy to duck under. The use path up to Alta Vista has a three messy blowdowns on it but I cleaned up the small branches to make the path through these blowdowns easier. This is one of the more popular trails along the Big Sur Coast so for peace and quiet on the trail I recommend a trip first thing in the morning.

Post by John H on Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:02 pm

Hiked to the overlook bench today. The ocean side of the loop is open but the east side of the loop remains closed. There were many downed trees and sections of eroded trail in the last 1/2 mile or so - far more than when I hiked it last July.

Post by GeneSalamin on Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:16 pm

From the Julia Pfeiffer Burns SP website, as of the time of this posting:

All trails at Julia Pfeiffer Burns State Park, with only 1 exception, are now open for hiking, including the recently cleared Tan Bark Trail.

Hazardous conditions still exist on the Ewoldson trail and it remains closed while repairs are completed throughout the summer. Please carefuly observe closure signs.

Ewoldsen Trail

Post by MarcRLevin on Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:12 am

Hi,

Does anyone know if the Ewoldsen Trail is open now? Can anyone report on the condition of the trail?

Thanks,
Marc