Forums
Ventana Wilderness Forums • Post a reply

Ventana Camp Trail

Trail Report

In the form below, enter a Subject line or title (optional), the date you hiked the trail, and a a rating as to the general passability of that trail then follow up with a more detailed narrative of the specific conditions or problems encountered. For the longer trails some folks like to segment the specific conditions part of their reports, reporting conditions in a serial fashion between landmarks such as camps or junctions. This is fine so long as the entire report is specific to a particular named trail.

Enter the code exactly as it appears. All letters are case insensitive.
Wilderness Freeway: Heavily used and well maintained.
Clear: No obstacles and tread well defined.
Passable: Some brush and/or deadfalls, tread evident.
Difficult: Brushy and/or many deadfalls, faint tread.
Impassable: Completely overgrown or tread obliterated.

BBCode is ON
[img] is OFF
[flash] is OFF
[url] is ON
Smilies are OFF
Topic review

Expand view Topic review: Ventana Camp Trail

Re: Ventana Camp Trail

Post by fat popi on Sat Apr 16, 2016 6:10 pm

Date Hiked: April 7, 2016
General Condition: Passable (some brush and/or deadfalls, tread evident)

Myself and 4 other memebers of the Big Sur Rec Crew wemt oit and spent a monday and tuesday pulling more PO and clearing the trail to pack stamdard...

Trail wide open , in most places 2 ft clear on each side of trail from top down.

Still require 2 crosscuts,althought the bottom walk around could be walked around by pack animals. So that one rotton oak is th only real issue rom this trail being wilderness superhighway
Attachments
20160411_171125.jpg

Post by fat popi on Sun Apr 10, 2016 2:05 pm

Date Hiked: March 30, 2016

Locked out of big sur trail work for most of marxh by high water and work in big sur,I focused my attenrion to this trail after seeing Franco and Lynn out with students from down south.
They started 700 ft from the bottom and worked up the hill. I worked from top down.
The yrail os now WIDE open from the top(also I have cleared .2 before turn off on pine ridge,and .3 after.)
When I say wide open,I mean it. Also I got most,soon all of the poison oak on the sections that I did mot clear(the student trip did not pull,trim PO)
I have one more day of cleaning up, and need 2 crosscuts to declare this trail wilderness superhwy.
The crosscuts are
1 the rotten oak that has to be starddled,been there for years.
2 10yrds before bottom of trail,right before camp, oak rootball crossing trail,I made a walk around...
Get out and hoke!

Post by Nodus on Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:25 pm

Date Hiked: October 17, 2015
General Condition: Difficult (brushy and/or many deadfalls, faint tread)

Easy to follow, hard to navigate. Encroaching bush, a few areas where the tread was missing due to dead falls.

LOTS OF POISON OAK.

This isn't really a trail issue, but lots of elevation gain/loss on this trail.

Post by UCBGradstudent001 on Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:35 pm

Date Hiked: July 17, 2015

This trail was relatively passable, but the overgrown arms of small trees for almost the entire way down meant you had to give the person in front of you a good 10 feet of space to avoid getting wacked. The path was clear, but mostly because getting off-trial was nearly impossible until the end. There was one point where the trail had eroded to the point where walking on it was tenuous, but a fallen tree actually helped by providing a bridge over the eroded section. Poison oak was present everywhere and at all heights, however everyone in our party wore shorts and came away with plenty of scratches but no itching/rashes.

As long as you take it slow (it's a steep drop anyway, so you should) the overgrowth and poison oak are manageable.

Post by mikesplain on Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:09 am

Date Hiked: August 6, 2013
General Condition: Clear (no obstacles and tread well defined)

Posted by Gier:

-Very strenuous, steep and in some areas have very loose sand that makes it very slippery.
-The first half of the descend has a lot of encroaching vegetation on the trail. Trail is small but still easy and simple to follow. The second half of the trail has thinner vegetation.
-The POISON OAK in this area is really bad, it was as high as my chest. It mixes with the thick encroaching vegetation so be wary and careful.
-Ventana Camp has a lot of water and is fairly clean

Post by rickahill77 on Thu May 23, 2013 10:46 am

Date Hiked: May 20, 2013

Contrary to the April report by Justin, I found the VC trail about the same as last summer: no sign, first third of one mile trail overgrown, narrow, with occasionally unavoidable poison oak and tread washouts in patches. Rest of the descent is fine. New feature at swimming spot near camp: huge fallen redwood spanning the river right at the old diving place. Sandbar has encroached upon deep area, but it's possible to climb on the tree, walk halfway across, and jump into 6-8 foot deep spot that's still there.

Post by justin_baker on Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:47 pm

Date Hiked: April 4, 2013

I went down this trail last spring and it was overgrown at the top. If you didn't already know about ventana camp, you wouldn't even see the trail.
The trail has been completely restored and the camp is now being well used. All of the brush has been cut back and all of the fallen trees have been removed.

Post by justin_baker on Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:53 pm

Date Hiked: May 29, 2012
General Condition: Difficult (brushy and/or many deadfalls, faint tread)

The Junction is easy to miss. There will be a cut off to the side of the trail and a small, cleared area where people have obviously stopped for the night. Past that clearing is the trail. At the beginning of the trail, it can get a little confusing. You will take more than a few wrong turns but quickly figure out that it's the wrong way. Just be patient and persistent and you will get there. It could be frustrating to do at night. Soon the trail gets more defined and takes some switchbacks down the slope. We met a guy who was camping there and clearing the trail, so it may be in better shape now. There was plenty of deadfall but nothing too crazy.

I would recommend wearing pants when heading down the trail. My legs got a little scrapped up from the plants and there is poison oak everywhere.

Ventana Camp is an average place. It was kind of weedy and there was a lot of dead, dry grass everywhere. Just a little ugly in some spots. It most likely doesn't get many visitors. On a busy weekend, it would be a good alternative to the crowded Terrace Creek. You could likely be alone and make as much noise as you wanted. I hate having to whisper and be quiet because of others camped nearby.

Post by AdamW on Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:27 pm

Date Hiked: November 14, 2012

Same as previous report. There was one new tree we were able to remove.

However, on further assessment, I would report the trail as Passable due to the amounts of brush in the upper section and eroded tread.

Post by AdamW on Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:22 am

Date Hiked: August 18, 2012

The trees across the trail have been cleared except for one at the very bottom of the trail as it enters Ventana Camp.

Main difficulty is the eroded sections where trees used to be or where brush has pushed hikers to one side.

As usual, the junction with the Pine Ridge Trail is not signed. Please do not camp at this junction.