Forums
Ventana Wilderness Forums • Post a reply

Indian Valley Camp Trail

Trail Report

In the form below, enter a Subject line or title (optional), the date you hiked the trail, and a a rating as to the general passability of that trail then follow up with a more detailed narrative of the specific conditions or problems encountered. For the longer trails some folks like to segment the specific conditions part of their reports, reporting conditions in a serial fashion between landmarks such as camps or junctions. This is fine so long as the entire report is specific to a particular named trail.

Enter the code exactly as it appears. All letters are case insensitive.
Wilderness Freeway: Heavily used and well maintained.
Clear: No obstacles and tread well defined.
Passable: Some brush and/or deadfalls, tread evident.
Difficult: Brushy and/or many deadfalls, faint tread.
Impassable: Completely overgrown or tread obliterated.

BBCode is ON
[img] is OFF
[flash] is OFF
[url] is ON
Smilies are OFF
Topic review

Expand view Topic review: Indian Valley Camp Trail

Re: Indian Valley Camp Trail

Post by Jim Ringland on Sun May 15, 2016 5:55 pm

Date Hiked: May 12, 2016
General Condition: Passable (some brush and/or deadfalls, tread evident)

I walked from the Marble Peak Trail back to the MC Use Camp. The junction is signed. The trail begins through open chaparral and then drops down into a stream corridor. It’s well flagged. That’s good because there’s not always much tread up top. Down in the stream corridor (dry when I passed), it’s a bit brushy and there are a few easy blowdowns to deal with. One blowdown was just a bit harder: more ducking and plenty of poison oak in just the wrong places. The MC Use Camp –- it sports a well-burnt sign with the initials MC -– is a little-used affair in a clearing surrounded by still-burned-out-looking trees and shrub stems. There's a grass-filled partial fire ring and a few nearby rocks that might be used for sitting. That's it. There was no nearby water when I was there. I didn’t go on to the main Indian Valley Camp, or for that matter, verify whether there were flags that would lead me there. The whole area just didn’t seem very appealing.

Re: Indian Valley Camp Trail

Post by jack_glendening on Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:12 pm

Date Hiked: April 21, 2012
General Condition: Difficult (brushy and/or many deadfalls, faint tread)

I can't believe this is the first report since 2007 !

Indian Valley Trail was in largely the same condition as on my last visit 5 months ago, i.e. did not have the extensive downfall I found on both the Marble Peak and Lost Valley Trails. There were "Passable" sections, particularly at the northern and southern trailheads, but without much obvious connection between them. However it was generally not too difficult to find some openings in the brush, and often a faint usetrail, between the passable sections. The main difficulty was extensive brush near the creek. There was a decent waterflow, so I could not walk in the creekbed. It appears that someone has been trying to maintain the northern end of the trail.

Indian Valley Camp has been extensively dug up by pigs. I could not find a sign or a grill, and certainly there is no table as mentioned by the last Trail Report in 2007! I did find a metal square which is apparently the a remains of an icemaker stove.

Trail Conditions History 1999-2007

Post by Site Administrator on Tue May 26, 2009 8:31 am

Conditions reported by: jdoelman
Survey date: 24-MARCH-2007
General: DIFFICULT
Specific:

From the Marble Peak Trail, there is a sign marking the Indian Valley Camp Trail junction. We followed the trail from the Marble Peak Trail and lost the trail 2 times where backtracking was required to regain the trail (each time we found the correct route within 5 minutes). The tread is faint. The campsite location is open and grassy and suitable for a large party. Only two legs of the camp table remain.

===============================
Conditions reported by: Lindsay Jeffers - Stevenson Wilderness Program
Survey date: 8-MARCH-2005
General: CLEAR
Specific:

From the Lost Valley Trail, the route is well signed. It proceeds steeply up a small canyon into the valley beyond. Near the top, tall brush has encroached on the trail. Coming back out after a night camping in the rain, the weight of the water had pulled the bushes down sufficiently to make route finding difficult. A little clipping would open up the trail nicely. The use trail to the Marble Peak Trail would need some exploratory work to re-open, although it was passable one year ago.
===========
Conditions reported by: Stevenson School Wilderness Expedition
Survey date: FEB-2002
General: PASSABLE
Specific:

This trail has been reworked recently. The path is steep in sections of its quarter mile length, but it is easy to follow. From the main camp site, the continuation of the trail that used to connect to the Marble Peak Trail has become largely invisible.
===========
Conditions reported by: Steve Wilson
Survey date: 1-MAY-99
General: PASSABLE
Specific:

Passable, tread indistinct in places. If in doubt, look for evidence of cutting. It follows a mostly dry water course for about half the distance between Marble Peak trail and the camp. Both ends of the trail well signed.retch. There are a few brushy spots and a few small burnt downfalls.

Indian Valley Camp Trail

Post by Site Administrator on Mon May 25, 2009 5:03 pm

* USFS Trail #
* Parking:
* Watersheds: Higgins Creek
* Junctions: Marble Peak Trail, Lost Valley Trail
* Connects: Marble Peak Trail with Lost Valley Trail
* Camps: New Indian Valley Camp