Forums
Ventana Wilderness Forums • Post a reply

Comings Camp Trail

Trail Report

In the form below, enter a Subject line or title (optional), the date you hiked the trail, and a a rating as to the general passability of that trail then follow up with a more detailed narrative of the specific conditions or problems encountered. For the longer trails some folks like to segment the specific conditions part of their reports, reporting conditions in a serial fashion between landmarks such as camps or junctions. This is fine so long as the entire report is specific to a particular named trail.

Enter the code exactly as it appears. All letters are case insensitive.
Wilderness Freeway: Heavily used and well maintained.
Clear: No obstacles and tread well defined.
Passable: Some brush and/or deadfalls, tread evident.
Difficult: Brushy and/or many deadfalls, faint tread.
Impassable: Completely overgrown or tread obliterated.

BBCode is ON
[img] is OFF
[flash] is OFF
[url] is ON
Smilies are OFF
Topic review

Expand view Topic review: Comings Camp Trail

Re: Comings Camp Trail

Post by edormody on Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:53 am

Date Hiked: January 2, 2016
General Condition: Passable (some brush and/or deadfalls, tread evident)

Spent a windy night at Comings Camp. Trail is passable but there are a few trees across the trail coming down from Big Pines Trail. Trail to cistern is in rough shape (as is the cistern). There is water in it but it’s stagnant. (I used a filter and boiled and didn’t get sick).

Post by RSIBryce on Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:57 pm

Date Hiked: March 20, 2015
General Condition: Clear (no obstacles and tread well defined)

IMG_5584.JPG

IMG_5578.JPG
[
IMG_5551.JPG

SECTION: SKINNER RIDGE JUNCTION TO COMINGS CAMP

This past weekend I lead a group of students from Ponderosa High School and Green Career Center of Ben Lomond along with two teachers on a Youth in Wilderness Stewardship outing. We met with Trail Crew leader Mike Heard and hiked out with a 6 foot cross-cut saw and a 4 foot D handle. We hiked to the junction of Comings trail and Skinner Ridge and worked the trail down to the camp, clearing the numerous small deadfall and also many larger downed trees that blocked and obscured the trail. We also brushed back some of the encroaching vegetation. I'm proud to report that this .4 miles section of trail is now much more easily navigated down to Comings Camp and is basically clear- except for a few downed trees still lying that are easily stepped over. Comings camp is in good shape and still spacious and pleasant as ever. The spring is flowing, though the flow is minimal- note you must walk a good distance down below the camp following the ravine to the east to find the water. I could not find the cistern! Though I have found it on previous occasions, maybe the vegetation took it over? We ended up getting most of our water from Pine Creek on the other side of the ridge- it was flowing well.

Comings Camp Trail

Post by bobbomcc on Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:21 am

Date Hiked: February 10, 2014

Comings trail is in fine shape - easy to follow except for some downed trees part way down. The cistern was "clear" and full after the weekend rains. Very inviting camp!
Attachments
P1010042.JPG
P1010039.JPG

Post by jack_glendening on Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:23 am

Date Hiked: November 11, 2013

Cistern was full (depth beyond what my pole could reach), water clear

Comings Camp Trail

Post by jimsonrat on Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:24 pm

Date Hiked: June 8, 2013

The trail to Comings Camp was easy to follow after it was initially not really there. The trail heads to the left as you go away from the trail junction. The camp is large and did not seem to have any campers for awhile judging by the leaf fall. The trail to the cistern is completely overgrown but still passable. The cistern itself was full of water though it has a slight oily sheen to it. I would not have hesitated to use the water. The fire ring had moved since the last time I've been there. The camp seems to have made a full recovery from the fire. The trail down to the camp had tall dead madrone branches but with lots of new growth at the base.

Post by RSIBryce on Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:40 pm

Date Hiked: December 9, 2012

Sign at the Junction from Big Pines clearly indicates direction of camp. Short jaunt down to camp, a few trees to duck under but nothing major. Camp is very big, open and pleasant. Water was available further down from the spring box. We watched the sunset from the ridge just up from camp.

Post by RSI SamE on Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:02 pm

Date Hiked: December 8, 2012

Comings Trail
Twixt Big Pines Trail
And Comings Camp
• Trail: Passable
• People: 0
• Signage: Sign at camp is old.
• Note 1: Downhill to camp, water was present in December by walking to creek past the old spring box and well.

Post by Chandra on Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:31 pm

Date Hiked: July 4, 2012

A good hike from Botchers Gap as usual. We were here back in March and saw similar conditions to the other poster around that time and didnt know about the cistern so had to go towards Pine Creek for water then (.5 miles from the intersection at the mail trail). That source is now dry but we located this cistern and while there may be some floating vegetation on top it was pretty full and you could see clear to the bottom. The trail to the cistern is passable and if you havent looked for it before and dont have GPS if you stand at the table looking down away from the camp fire towards the group of trees on your right the trail start is right there to the left of the thick tree grove. We left a branch arrow to help point people in the right direction as well. The tube from the cistern to further down was removed and broke not sure how to put it back together so just filterd and drank from cystern

Post by Jim Ringland on Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:07 pm

Date Hiked: March 2, 2012

The trail is easy to follow and unobstructed.

I was happy to see the basic feel of the camp was unchanged since my last visit here in 2006, even if some of the understory pines and madrones vanished in the Basin Fire and some of the oaks up the hill took a hit. In camp, the old round table top has some new legs and is attached to a Ponderosa Pine. I should probably lament this sort of wilderness construction, but it was handy. As for water, the cistern about 200 feet beyond camp was full of dubious water, the plastic pipe near the cistern – new since my stay in 2006 – was putting out an occasional drip but nothing useful, and there was plenty of good water in the creek another 200 feet downstream from the spring.

Post by jimsonrat on Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:32 am

Date Hiked: July 23, 2011

The cutoff from the main trail was well-marked with the "Comings Camp" sign now being attached to the main sign instead of off the trail to the right as it has been in the past. There is a triangular beat-up metal sign with a "no water" scratched into it on the Comings Camp side of the trail.

The trail to the camp was present and easy to follow, particularly compared to two years ago when no remnants of the trail were left after the fire. The camp was generally in good condition. There were now two small fire pits with one having a metal grate. The table was very stable and now attached to a tree; someone did some nice back-country woodwork on this. The cistern was full and uncovered but it contained mosquito larvae and a giant salamander. Someone had done some work on the lower cistern by adding a new pipe, but it was not working correctly. I boiled a pot of water from the cistern and it tasted fine. There were a lot of bugs but they did not appear to be biting (mosly small black flies but no mosquitos).

The camp was green and cheerful and had made a great recovery from the fire. Two years ago, it appears the fire burned through the camp although not at a high temperature; Comings Camp was brown and dismal two years ago. If anyone knows what is needed to get the spring back into working condition, please reply to this post with details.