Forums
Ventana Wilderness Forums • Post a reply

Vicente Flat Trail (Cone Peak Road to Vicente Flat Camp)

Trail Report

In the form below, enter a Subject line or title (optional), the date you hiked the trail, and a a rating as to the general passability of that trail then follow up with a more detailed narrative of the specific conditions or problems encountered. For the longer trails some folks like to segment the specific conditions part of their reports, reporting conditions in a serial fashion between landmarks such as camps or junctions. This is fine so long as the entire report is specific to a particular named trail.

Enter the code exactly as it appears. All letters are case insensitive.
Wilderness Freeway: Heavily used and well maintained.
Clear: No obstacles and tread well defined.
Passable: Some brush and/or deadfalls, tread evident.
Difficult: Brushy and/or many deadfalls, faint tread.
Impassable: Completely overgrown or tread obliterated.

BBCode is ON
[img] is OFF
[flash] is OFF
[url] is ON
Smilies are OFF
Topic review

Expand view Topic review: Vicente Flat Trail (Cone Peak Road to Vicente Flat Camp)

Re: Vicente Flat Trail (Cone Peak Road to Vicente Flat Camp)

Post by wombat_attack on Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:16 pm

Date Hiked: November 12, 2017
General Condition: Clear (no obstacles and tread well defined)

Lots of water in the creek near Vicente flat even though we've only had one rain this season. No problems crossing it though. Trail is clear with intermittent poison oak, but didn't have to do any acrobatics to avoid it even with a 40lb backpack.

Re: Vicente Flat Trail (Cone Peak Road to Vicente Flat Camp)

Post by Maya7 on Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:15 pm

Date Hiked: June 24, 2017
General Condition: Passable (some brush and/or deadfalls, tread evident)

Once on the climb to Cone Peak from Vincente the oak diminished, though was present and the leaves already turning red. Trail out from Vincente to Stone Ck (long way to Cone Pk) was overgrown with poison oak and I turned back. I had Vincente all to myself 6/25! Very few people in the area on a Sunday. Lots of amazing young animal noises all night and tons of stellar jays! Happy hiking!

Re: Vicente Flat Trail

Post by VWA Admin on Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:00 pm

Date Hiked: April 11, 2017
General Condition: Clear (no obstacles and tread well defined)

From a report submitted by pantilat on Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:32 pm describing conditions on the Vicente Flat Trail:

"After Vicente Flat most of the problem spots are near the creek crossings where some erosion has taken place and trees have fallen into the creek over where you would normally cross. However, the lack of brush (including lack of encroaching poison oak) and absence of significant erosion/slipouts means that this trail is mostly Clear and I didn't feel the few issues necessitated a downgrade to Passable. Spring wildflowers are out in force along the first 2.6 miles with a great variety of flowers.

Note regarding Vicente Falls: Winter storms have rearranged the stream bed and log jams in the canyon with many new blow downs over adjacent slopes. The high water volume also cleared out the base of the falls from debris and vegetation that had accumulated over the years leaving a cleaner base area and (shallow) plunge pool which, in my opinion, makes the falls prettier. At least for now while stream volume is high (and the falls most impressive), wet feet are necessary. Bits and pieces of use path are still evident, but one should consider this entirely off-trail with some creek walking, poison oak and maneuvering through blow downs."

Post by VWA Admin on Tue Dec 27, 2016 5:59 pm

Submit trail reports for the Vicente Flat Trail here. Please note- Vicente Flat connects Cone Peak Road with Vicente Flat Camp; it should not be confused with Kirk Creek Trail, which connects Vicente Flat Camp with Highway 1. Cone Peak Road may be seasonally closed. Call the Monterey Ranger District to inquire- 831-385-5434.

* USFS Trail #4E13
* Parking: Cone Peak Road
* Watershed: Hare Canyon Fork of Limekiln Creek
* Junctions: Stone Ridge Trail, Kirk Creek Trail
* Connects: Cone Peak Road with Kirk Creek Trail at Vicente Flat Camp
* Camps: Vicente Flat Camp

Post by swiggerp on Mon May 23, 2016 11:42 am

Date Hiked: May 21, 2016
General Condition: Wilderness Freeway (Heavily used and well maintained)

Great hike from North Vicente Trail off of Cone Peak Rd. Made it to Vicente Flat campground in just over 1:30 with lots of stops. Easy hike, tons of wildflowers and plenty of water in the stream. Attempted to make it to Goat Camp, but partner was having feet problems. Vicente Trail camp was pretty full, but a great night in the trees. I would take any recommendations on getting to Goat Camp via the counterclockwise loop from Cone Peak if it is worth the hike. Cheers to my first post and hike in the Ventana Wilderness. Thanks!