Forums
Ventana Wilderness Forums • Post a reply

Bear Basin Trail

Post a reply

Enter the code exactly as it appears. All letters are case insensitive.

BBCode is ON
[img] is OFF
[flash] is OFF
[url] is ON
Smilies are OFF
Topic review

Expand view Topic review: Bear Basin Trail

Re: Bear Basin Trail

Post by pantilat on Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:25 pm

Date Hiked: February 3, 2018
General Condition: Passable (some brush and/or deadfalls, tread evident)

The original "Bear Basin Trail" traveled from Pine Valley up and over a ridge to Bear Basin and then up to Pine Ridge. The portion from Pine Valley to the ridge separating Pine Valley and Bear Basin is still in passable shape as a maintained trail. Unfortunately, the portion from the ridge down to Bear Basin has now been rendered a usetrail, and that may be a generous description. There is effectively no trail from Bear Basin up to Pine Ridge. From the ridge separating Pine Valley and Bear Basin up the Pine Ridge Trail is known as the "Bear Basin Connector Trail." This report covers the portion from Pine Valley to the Ridge on the Bear Basin Trail and then the Bear Basin Connector up to the Pine Ridge Trail.

The bottom part of the trail starts in Pine Valley amid the Ponderosas. The initial part after crossing the headwaters of Carmel River near the junction (still containing a descent flow of water) is somewhat difficult to stay on the trail due to grasses and regrowth but the trail soon becomes well defined as it switchbacks up the hill and leaves the riparian zone. A crew cleared several of the logs on this first section that burned in the fire and fell over the trail. However, the trail soon leaves the burned section for unburned brush and largely stays in a brush tunnel all the way to the top where it meets the Pine Ridge Trail. This brush tunnel is starting to get tight in spots with some brush pushing along the way and about half dozen blowdowns that have fallen over the trail. There are glimpses of Pine Valley and Bear Basin along the way, but most of this trail is "view-less" as the unburned brush is tall and thick. While the brush is filling in and there a few new blowdowns, the trail remains a relatively efficient connector from Pine Valley to the Pine Ridge Trail

Post by Chris F on Tue Dec 26, 2017 11:23 am

Date Hiked: December 21, 2017
General Condition: Difficult (brushy and/or many deadfalls, faint tread)

The trail itself was easy enough to follow, the brush was heavy from the waist up but relatively easy to push through. Luckily it was 28 degrees so no ticks, I sure would not want to go through if it was wet and warm!

Post by AMHamilton on Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:37 am

Date Hiked: April 3, 2016
General Condition: Impassable (completely overgrown or tread obliterated)

Followed bear basin trail south from Pine Valley for ~1 mile, and attempted to find the cutoff East towards Pine Valley Trail. First half mile of steep ascent from Pine Valley is decent trail, but once the trail crests the track become steadily less clear, with numerous fallen trees blocking the trail and progressively heavier brush proceeding south. By the point of the east-ward cutoff connecting Bear Basin Trail to Pine Valley Trail, the trail completely disappears into disrepair with many false trails and heavy brush rendering it essentially inoperable. Avoid if possible.

Post by davidjohnbremer on Fri Apr 08, 2016 4:46 pm

Date Hiked: April 4, 2016

We hiked this trail from Pine Valley to the Pine Ridge Trail. Overall it was in pretty nice shape. It is a vigorous climb out of Pine Valley. There were a few fallen trees, but mostly a very nice, clear trail. BEWARE: When you get to the top of the hill climbing out of Pine Valley, you come across a huge fallen tree that appears to have been there for some time. It appears as though the trail continues slightly to the right of this giant log. We ignorantly proceeded this way, and all was good at first. Clearly some maintenance had recently been done on the trail. There were sections that had been cleared and brush had been cut away. However, things get bad pretty quickly. This "trail" has you scampering down treacherous hillsides and ultimately the trail simply disappears. At this point you can see Bear Basin off to your right, perhaps 200 feet below. Eventually we realized that we had gone down the wrong way and backtracked maybe a quarter mile to the giant log. Perhaps someone had made a half-hearted attempt to restore the trail into Bear Basin? Not sure, but clearly we weren't the first ones to travel down this trail of doom. The trail that we should have been on (the one that leads to Pine Valley trail) is at the FAR LEFT end of the giant log. From here it was easy. Some encroaching brush, but overall very nice. The intersection with Pine Valley Trail was well marked, and from there it was on to Pine Ridge Camp.

[Ed.note: FYI at one time, within the past year, there were flags at each end of the junction between the Bear Basin and Bear Basin Connector, near each end of the downed tree, to guide hikers from one to the other, so they would not continue on to the now overgrown continuation of the Bear Basin Trail]

Post by runcyclegirl on Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:23 pm

Date Hiked: May 17, 2014

This report is for the Bear Basin Connector.

We hiked this section from Pine Valley to Pine Ridge Trail and found it in very good shape, if not for a few clusters of down trees
I would have rated it a "wilderness freeway". Below are photos of the mentioned "clusters". Overall, they were easy to walk around
and/or step over. One tree required a brief scramble up slope causing some tread damage.

Brush-wise the trail is in excellent shape, hardly a scratch from a branch :).

Maria Ferdin

IMG_6720.JPG
First "cluster" coming up from Pine Valley

IMG_6722.JPG

IMG_6725.JPG
This one required going into brush to get around it. It's located near the ridge.

IMG_6728.JPG
This set is located on the ridge (near the Pine Ridge side) after the nice view of Bear Basin.

Post by jack_glendening on Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:17 pm

Date Hiked : September 11, 2013

Ample water found at Bear Basin Camp in this dry year. Tread to camp largely non-existent.

Post by jack_glendening on Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:25 am

Date Hiked : June 26, 2013

FOR THE SECTION TO BEAR BASIN CAMP, SOUTH OF THE BEAR BASIN CONNECTOR TRAIL

I'd been thinking about doing a backpack to Bear Basin Camp since I think it's a lovely spot. But the last Trail Report gave me pause, so decided instead on a dayhike first to assess the current conditions.

Remnants of the old trail could be followed, with difficulty, for 0.2 miles from the Bear Basin Connector. But beyond that I could find no tread, despite using my GPS to roughly follow a track of the old route. I did find a few cairns, which looked lonely because the tread once there is no more. It was definitely rough and difficult, much more so than my last trip (or at least my memory of my last trip) and would have been very difficult with a backpack. On my last trip I'd found some sections beyond the initial 0.2 miles showing some apparent use, but on this trip found none. So I expect I will be changing the route marked on my Big Sur Trailmap from a "use trail" to "historic", meaning "lost". Currently this is essentially a bushwhack, though likely made easier by approximately following the old route.

Bear Basin Camp is attractive, with a lovely view. I found a main and an auxiliary fire ring, the former with rock "seats". To address the concerns of the previous post, Bear Basin Camp is in a large flat area amid oak and _ponderosa_ pine trees (small cones). It seems only lightly touched by the 2008 fire, though evidence of the fire is abundant elsewhere. The pines here are all thriving (I saw only two upright dead trees in the camp area, both relatively small and with bare branches.) The stream 150 ft NE of the camp was running well when I was there - the Sierra Club Trail Guide says there is "ample water through mid-summer".

Lonely Bear Basin Camp awaits those seeking solitude and a beautiful view of Uncle Sam mountain and the Carmel River drainage. But the absence of a usable trail means potential users will find access difficult. Bear Basin Camp has now joined those other camps which must be considered "lost" to the average hiker (but is less "lost" than some others, such as Vado).

Jack
Attachments
img_7831.quartersize.jpg
Lonely sentinel, a monument to bygone days
img_7839.quartersize.jpg
Fire ring with stone seats
BearBasinCamp.pano.quartersize.jpg
Bear Basin Camp panorama - firering is just left of forked oak tree (click to enlarge)

Post by mikesplain on Wed May 15, 2013 3:29 pm

Date Hiked: May 10, 2013
General Condition: Clear (no obstacles and tread well defined)

Section-
Connector to Pine Valley-

Clear overall, with a bit of deadfall and encroaching brush here and there, but never ambiguous,
save for a short stretch at the very bottom- watch for flagging tape to stay on course.
No one else encountered.

Post by mikesplain on Wed May 15, 2013 3:28 pm

Date Hiked : May 10, 2013

Section-
Bear Basin / Pine Valley Connector to Bear Basin Camp-
departing from the top of the ridge, the first hundred yards or so of this trail are quite evident, but it fades into oblivion in short order
and one must pick through alternating dense brush, overhead ceanothus and steeply sloping meadows, with lots of up and down on the way to the "camp", which, despite having seen it several times before, I was unable to locate this time.
Maybe that's for the better, since Bear Basin was ground zero during the 2008 wildfires and most of its large pines and incense-cedars are now dead with dangerous "widow-maker" branches awaiting enough of a breeze to come crashing down.
No sign of anyone this day nor much sign of anyone having hiked here recently.

Post by bigsurnut on Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:23 pm

Date Hiked : March 22, 2013

So, as far as I can tell, this trail does not exist. My buddy and I decided to bushwack it nonetheless, and we made it to Bear Basin camp where we expected the trail to appear and be somewhat visible. Alas, no such luck. We bushwacked our way back up to the ridge and found the Bear Basin Trail connector, which then lead us to the one section of the bear basin trail that is there (which is quite clear). Don't know how anyone would get down to Bear Basin campsite, though.