Forums
Ventana Wilderness Forums • View topic - interesting story

interesting story

This is the place for everything else.

Moderators: Betsy M, dknapp1

Re: interesting story

Postby Apropos on Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:03 am

It looks like the max-flow was in 2005 when Sespe creek was flowing at 85,300 cfs measured near fillmore.
Thats about double the flow of the local ventana streams ( according to xasauantoday ).

http://nwis.waterdata.usgs.gov/nwis/pea ... ormat=html
Apropos

Postby steveu on Tue Nov 11, 2014 7:16 pm

Growing up in the Ventura area I am somewhat familar with Yvon shopping at patagonia predecesor Great Pacific Iron works, but I had to do some reading about Royal Robbins, kayaking the Sespe at flood stage is brave or crazy I don't know. I explored this area in the 70's then you could take a dirt bike all the way to the hot springs, the area had old abandoned ranches, public cabins first/first served and lots of hippy girls taking in the springs, Now it's a beautiful hiking trail/wilderness .
steveu

Postby steveu on Tue Nov 11, 2014 4:35 pm

yea the water can get high there, you can see it on the canyon walls. the road is closed now only open to hiking, a lot of cabins were in the area in the 60's and 70's a few remain most probably burned down by now. a neat area, kind of dry except along the river,
steveu

Postby jackson on Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:57 am

hahahaha... I meant to say "up about 15ft in a tree" where I said "up about 15 feet" in my previous post.
jackson

Postby jackson on Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:14 am

This is a fascinating, sad and frightening story. We are lucky that someone survived to tell about it.

I recall seeing a photo of a moped or small motorcycle up about 15 feet along the sespe, near tar creek. The peakflow of the sespe must be something to see ( I wonder what cfs that is). I read that the sespe was first navigated by a local ventura yahoo, Ivan Chouinard and his buddy Royal Robbins.
jackson

interesting story

Postby steveu on Thu Nov 06, 2014 7:00 am

for those who have hiked the Sespe creek area in the southern Los Padres NF www.outsideonline.com/adventure-travel/ ... Water.html
steveu

Return to Off-Topic