Forums
Ventana Wilderness Forums • View topic - Re-Soling Boots - where to send them

Re-Soling Boots - where to send them

This is the place for everything else.

Moderators: Betsy M, dknapp1

Re: Re-Soling Boots - where to send them

Postby rt1 on Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:21 pm

Tom Pinch wrote:You can try the "drive-through" shoe place in Monterey. I had some good work done there. It is at 542 Agrebo street. I believe the name of the place is Ferlinghetti's (or something similar).

It's Federicos
rt1

Re: Re-Soling Boots - where to send them

Postby Tom Pinch on Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:15 am

You can try the "drive-through" shoe place in Monterey. I had some good work done there. It is at 542 Agrebo street. I believe the name of the place is Ferlinghetti's (or something similar).
Tom Pinch

Re-Soling Boots - where to send them

Postby js_radford on Sat Oct 26, 2013 12:00 pm

As most know, boot tread wears out, I'd say, at least twice as fast as uppers ... worn tread = worthless boot and a lousy waste of money and resources. But if you have boots worth anything over $80, then you can and SHOULD send them to get re-soled. It probably is worth it to re-sole boots that are good quality but cheaper. Depends. Anyway, you likely will get a new pair of boots basically as good as new.

Complex soles (the norm nowadays) that wrap up around uppers can be re-soled. You will be advised for sure which type cannot be done. Seems like almost everything can be done.

Here's my story and links from my first attempt to re-sole my boots in a long time (used to be so easy!). I still recommend Seattle cobbler, but have to wonder ...

I asked local SF Bay Area outdoor equipment dealer (Redwood Trading Post - great Mom-&-Pop place) where to re-sole my $160 Vasque Goretex hiking boots. He said he didn't know anybody local (SF Bay - 7 million people and no boot re-soler?) but has sent hundreds of boot repairs to Dave Page in Seattle:

http://www.davepagecobbler.com/

I sent my boots off. They came back fast and looked great, brand new!

Unfortunately, the heel of one boot started to come off (could put several fingers between bottom of the boot and sole) after less than 40 miles of ordinary hiking. Other areas looked to be just starting to open up. More unfortunately, I was in between two trips with NO chance to send the boots back to Seattle in time (Dave Page later suggested said he'd take them back for re-repair - honoring implied or explicit warranty, I think).

Luckily I found a South Lake Tahoe cobbler to do the repair and that has held up well under rough conditions. Cost only $15 for re-gluing and for "caulking" all around the sole (he thought that was needed to stop any further problems - seems to have worked).

He may take mail order but is not set up for it like Dave Page is:
http://www.yelp.com/biz/ye-olde-cobbler ... ry:cobbler [he does not have a web site]

It MIGHT be worth a try to call him and see if he can repair your exact type boot and what it would cost using snail mail or whatever. He seemed to know more about the repair than Dave did though he has just a hole-in-the-wall shop. Fun visit if you are in Tahoe, though!

John Radford

PS: Anybody have local cobbler they use? I am in SF Bay Area and willing to drive to Santa Cruz or within 45 minutes of Skylonda (Hwy 35 x Hwy 84 near La Honda). To date, I have used a Seattle-based cobbler who is a real pro. Unfortunately, I had a perhaps unique experience with him in that his re-soling failed! Nobody can figure why.
js_radford

Return to Off-Topic