Forums
Ventana Wilderness Forums • View topic - sleeping bag

sleeping bag

This is the place to talk about the tools & toys that make for easy living in the backcountry.

Moderators: dknapp1, Betsy M

Re: sleeping bag

Postby Emperor norton on Mon Dec 19, 2016 7:26 am

My sleeping hag just divorced me, ooh sleeping bag, nevermind
Emperor norton

Postby Steve B on Sun May 10, 2015 12:19 pm

I carry a Western Mountaineering 32 degree bag that is just slightly over one pound. I have used this bag from Campo to Crater Lake, a few times the temperature dropped into the teens but I wasn’t too uncomfortable. If it gets too cold you can always put on all your clothing and your pack and be OK or you can get up and hike.
Steve B

Postby LBehrmann on Tue Mar 17, 2015 4:13 pm

What rating of temp would you use for a PCT hike (assuming no snowshoeing)?
LBehrmann

Postby jonl on Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:53 am

Try the Down Works in Santa Cruz.

http://www.downworks.com

They know bags and have been making them for decades. They'll can make you anyhting you want,

They are also VWA supporters!
jonl

Postby runcyclegirl on Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:16 pm

An alternative to the traditional sleeping bag is the quilt. I recently purchased one from Enlightened Equipment.
My bag is the Revelation Elite, short, 20 degrees. At 17 oz., it is indeed a revelation!!
http://www.enlightenedequipment.com/revelation-elite/

Maria
runcyclegirl

Postby Hillary on Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:47 am

Agree. Western Mountaineering is the best. Never been cold, super breathable, unbelievably light - mine is 2.0 lbs, stuffs down small, zipper never catches, zips easily in the middle of the night. I use a mummy liner as well to keep it clean (+4.4 ounces). Its worth having a second job for a month to pay for it.
Hillary

Postby mikesplain on Mon Mar 09, 2015 2:47 pm

Have you checked out Western Mountaineering? Good stuff.
http://www.westernmountaineering.com/in ... eping-Bags
mikesplain

sleeping bag

Postby LBehrmann on Mon Mar 09, 2015 2:24 pm

What do you like for a 3 season bag? I have a North Face Cat's Meow 0C bag, but it only lasted 6 years before the fluff was not so insulating. It is disappointing because I follow the recommendations about hanging it from its toes in full length and hang it from its head full length and not having it in the stuff sack when not using it. Maybe Kelty is better because I think I had a Kelty longer than this. The North Face isn't even good in the 40s anymore even with the camping pad.

Yes my budget is 300 to 400 dollars max, provided it will be warm, lightweight, and durable (last 10 years of frequent use)
LBehrmann

Return to Gear & Gadgets