Forums
Ventana Wilderness Forums • View topic - Gmap4 - Ventana high resolution topo maps

Gmap4 - Ventana high resolution topo maps

This is the place to talk about the tools & toys that make for easy living in the backcountry.

Moderators: Betsy M, dknapp1

Re: Gmap4 - Ventana high resolution topo maps

Postby LBehrmann on Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:26 am

Thanks guys! This Big Sur Trail Map thing in the browser is the best thing since ... well, the best map ever!

I am very impressed with the map, very nice work. Now I can better draw my trails on the topos...
LBehrmann

Postby jack_glendening on Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:51 pm

Of course, the Big Sur Trail Map can be viewed as an overlay in both Gmap4 and Google Earth (and Google Maps) - each has different advantages.

Jack
Big Sur Trailmap: http://bigsurtrailmap.net
jack_glendening

Postby Jelf on Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:26 pm

Thanks for the kind words.

Joseph, the Gmap4 guy
Jelf

Postby js_radford on Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:01 pm

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!

THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!

I just emailed everybody I know to bookmark http://www.mappingsupport.com/p/gmap4.php since it offers 4X the topo resolution of my previous favorite mapper.acme.com and is, for those who don't need topos, still such a wonderful resource for world exploration and, among other things, viewing urban areas (option "h" - Aerial Google hybrid). I just looked at my sister's house in Missouri and the Gmap4 view is so much better than Google Earth, it is absolutely no contest - the 3D rendering is stunningly true-to-life, which is NOT the case with Google Earth.

However, Google Earth view of non-developed areas are probably the same resolution as Gmap4 and Google Earth has so much to offer otherwise. So I will now use Gmap4 for topos and other things but still use Google Earth for much else.

I am so relieved now to have a perfect topo resource to future trips. It's amazing.
js_radford

Postby Jelf on Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:44 pm

Recently Gmap4 was updated to version 4.1 and now includes a unique map-in-a-link feature that is worth mentioning. Anyone can now make a custom map and save their data right in a Gmap4 link. You do not need to save your data in a separate file such as a GPX or KML file. This may be the easiest and faster way for you to make a custom online topographic map.

To try out this feature:
1. Click Menu ==> Draw and Save
2. Click the map a few times to set draggable symbols and draw a line
3. Rightclick any symbol and select “Gmap4 display long link”

You can copy the link that is displayed, paste it into a new browser address bar, hit enter and your custom map will be displayed.

This feature also works on your iPhone, iPad, android and other mobile device. Remember, Gmap4 is a browser app and your browser has to be online. After you tap the screen to set some draggable symbols then tap a symbol and select “Action Menu”. The list of actions include two different ways to save a Gmap4 link that includes your data.

More information on this map-in-a-link feature can be found in the following three places.

1. What’s new page
Note the tip about deleting the ll and z parameters from your Gmap4 link.
http://www.mappingsupport.com/p/gmap4_whats_new.html

2. Example page
Scroll down to the section titled “Your map data saved in the Gmap4 link”. The examples range from basic to advanced and give you a quick way to see some of the kinds of maps you can make with this feature.
http://www.mappingsupport.com/p/gmap4_examples.html

3. Help file
You can download the PDF file and search it (control-f) for the section titled “Make a custom map with Gmap4 and save it”.
http://www.mappingsupport.com/p/gmap4_help.pdf

Joseph, the Gmap4 guy
Redmond, WA
Jelf

Gmap4 - Ventana high resolution topo maps

Postby Jelf on Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:14 am

Raise your hand if you've seen Dr. Jack's map with the wealth of info he has compiled. That map is a combination of (1) a data file that Jack built and (2) the Gmap4 enhanced Google map viewer that I developed.

Gmap4 is a general purpose tool. Just within the last few days I added high resolution topgraphic maps that have eye popping quality. Here is a zoomed in view of the Lost Valley trail that is being discussed in a different thread:

http://www.mappingsupport.com/p/gmap4.p ... &t=t4&z=15

Did I mention that you can vary the hill shading on these hi-res maps? Menu ==> Hill shading

Gmap4 is online software that runs in your browser. There is nothing to buy, nothing to download, nothing to install. Gmap4 will run on most browsers in your phone, iPad, iPod, notebook, laptop, desktop, etc. Note that the browser does have to be online to the internet. Gmap4 is not a ‘native’ app. Instead, it is a browser app.

Q: What can you do with Gmap4 besides look at drop dead gorgeous topo maps?
A: A bunch!

I just added a trip planning feature (Menu ==> Make a map) so you can click the map to make a GPX file that you can load into many (not all) handheld GPS units. Then, when you get back from your trip you can use Gmap4 to display your GPS track.

One of the main features of Gmap4 is its ability to display data files that are hosted online almost anywhere. If you want to put your own data files online but lack your own website to host those files, then just use Google Sites. It is free, easy and it works. The Gmap4 ‘Help’ file has step-by-step instructions for uploading your files to Google Sites. Gmap4 can display GPX, KML, KMZ, TPO and Google MyPlaces files. It can also display a delimited text file format that I designed. Note that you cannot (yet) display files straight from your harddrive. You first have to put your files online.

Another key feature is the ability to share your map with others. If you click Menu ==> Show map URL, then a URL will appear in the message window. You can copy that URL and use it in a forum post, email, blog, website, etc. Whoever clicks that URL link will see the exact same map on their screen.

You can also:
* Automatically center the map on your current location (works best in mobile browsers)
* Display a UTM grid
* Get the current magnetic declination
* Search
* Get directions (the route is draggable)
* Print (use Firefox, IE has a bug)
* And more

There is no cost for using Gmap4 for non-commercial use. It is simply my way of ‘paying it forward’. But with that said, if you like the new high resolution topographic maps please consider making a donation (Menu ==> Donate) to help offset the hosting cost of that data. You can read more about these new topo maps in the CalTopo section of the Gmap4 ‘Help’ file.

The Gmap4 homepage has a new user FAQ, examples, a detailed pdf Help file, a links page with more examples and a bit about me.

Homepage: http://www.mappingsupport.com/p/gmap4.html

Enjoy!

Joseph, the Gmap4 guy
Jelf

Return to Gear & Gadgets