Forums
Ventana Wilderness Forums • View topic - Ultralight Packs

Ultralight Packs

This is the place to talk about the tools & toys that make for easy living in the backcountry.

Moderators: Betsy M, dknapp1

Re: Ultralight Packs

Postby Carl Mounteer on Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:00 pm

This may be a waste of time since the last post was over 9 mos. ago but here goes:

I have a Granite Gear Virga 3200. It weighs 21 oz., has 3200 cu. inches of capacity, two side pockets and numerous attachment points. I have carried a 41 oz. 8"x12" bear cannister with 4 days of food (inside the bag), a 1 person, 3 lb. 6 oz. tent, a down sleeping bag, 3 pairs of underwear and t-shirts, 2-12 oz. water bottles and 100 oz. of water in a Camelback reservoir, and an approx. 6"x18" mesh bag for everything else in and on this bag. It is astonishingly durable. The seams have held up like welding, never a tear. The fabric is incredibly durable. I have smashed it up against really rough evergreen tree bark and granite boulders with really sharp eminences, over and over again to hoist it on my back, scraped it against trees and branch stubs crawling under trees, and only had one small (approx. 1 in.) tear in the upper portion of the bag that never opened up wider. It is incredibly light and durable. Like other bags, it's capacity can be greatly expanded by attaching stuff sacks on the outside of the bag. I am very satisfied with this bag and highly recommend it.
Carl Mounteer

Postby EliFree on Sat Jul 02, 2011 5:13 am

flipper wrote:backpacking light .com and gossimer gear.com , by far the best and real lightweight stuff out there ,chk it out , God Speed

I liked gear.com site. Lots of good reviews of good stuff. Very useful indeed.

I use GSM repeater in my big office.
Last edited by EliFree on Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:19 am, edited 3 times in total.
EliFree

Postby tedschram on Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:58 pm

I second the warning about having heavier fabric, I've done a few trails where there are lots of scraggly bushes sticking sharp sticks into the trail, and there's plenty of downed trees, slippery gravelly spots, etc . . . I have a Gregory z65 and a z55, both of which are plenty tough enough, though not super lightweight.
tedschram

Postby LuigiP on Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:00 am

Look at the Osprey Atmos 50 at the Down Works on River st in Santa Cruz. I've used it for multiple night spring and summer trips for a couple years now. Love it.
LuigiP

Postby mikesplain on Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:00 pm

Make sure you go talk to Nick at Down Works-
for the Ventana you'll need ultralight & RUGGED;
he'll know what packs are suitable.
I've had good 1-2 night experiences with my Granite Gear Vapor Trail-
rated to 30 lbs & tough enough for chaparral-busting
(but it is a top-loader, so not the most convenient / user-friendly)

~M
mikesplain

Postby rt1 on Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:07 pm

Just a thought: I've found that ultralight packs are great in places with open trails but they tend to get destroyed by the Ventana. It's sometimes a good idea to go one step up in weight for a stronger fabric given the state of our trails.
rt1

Postby Farley on Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:11 pm

go see nick at down works.
Farley

Postby flipper on Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:18 am

backpacking light .com and gossimer gear.com , by far the best and real lightweight stuff out there ,chk it out , God Speed
flipper

Ultralight Packs

Postby riatch on Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:14 am

I need to get me an ultralight pack that is perfect for one or two night trips into the Ventana and Silver Peak. I love my old toploader rig ... but I am ready to see what modern technology has to offer. Anybody out there have some thoughts or experience on this topic? I typically don't go out if there is any threat of rain, so it does not have to be big enough to haul a tent. I usually get by with less than 3o pounds (pack weight not base weight). I'm thinkin I can shave a few more pounds ... maybe even get down to 20 (with creature comforts).
riatch

Return to Gear & Gadgets