Forums
Ventana Wilderness Forums • View topic - Cobbler?

Cobbler?

This is the place to talk about the tools & toys that make for easy living in the backcountry.

Moderators: Betsy M, dknapp1

Re: Cobbler?

Postby js_radford on Sun Nov 24, 2013 1:17 pm

I used Dave Page this spring with very negative result in that the re-soling started to peel off in major way after a mere 30-40 miles of gentle hiking and only 2 miles of X-country. I was able to insert several fingers between heel and sole with other openings starting as well!

CON: re-soling didn't work!

PROS: Dave is very pro; mail order is very fast and clean process; my re-soled boots (however soon to be peeling) looked just as good as new. Dave DID reply instantly to my failed re-soling. He could only guess what went wrong ("We've repaired that same model many times with no problem ....") and would have repaired for free if I had not already remedied the problem.

I went back to Redwood Trading Post (Redwood City) to report my experience with their recommendation of Dave Page and they said my failed re-soling was the first of hundreds of boot referrals that had any reported problem.

IF IN TAHOE: I had to repair the failed re-soling w/o time to mail to Seattle. I found a little shop just a mile or so from where I was staying: "Ye Olde Cobbler Shop" - http://www.yelp.com/biz/ye-olde-cobbler ... lake-tahoe - where I got a secure fix for a mere $15! He said a full re-soling would cost about $75, which is almost exactly what Dave Page charged.

So If in Tahoe area, don't forget to take along any boots to repair. Great service and a secure repair. The cobbler is not set up for mail orders like Dave Page, however.
js_radford

Postby Tom Hopkins on Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:58 pm

Dave Page Cobbler in Seattle is the go to place for warranty repairs for many boot brands. They also replace bonded soles and repair gortex boots. Some years ago they did a warranty repair for me that was well done with quick turnaround. The boots came back via UPS in a well packed second hand box with a rubber stamp on the outside saying that they reuse boxes to save trees. http://www.davepagecobbler.com/
Tom Hopkins

Postby dknapp1 on Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:23 am

I take my redwings to Takkens on Spring St. to get them resoled.

dbk
David Knapp, Trail Crew Chief
dknapp1

Postby MarkM on Wed Sep 15, 2010 5:15 pm

I have no personal experience with them, but it certainly looks like they're up to the task:

http://www.rmresole.com/
MarkM

Postby rt1 on Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:55 pm

Federicos on abrego in Monterey is good with shoes in general. I don't know if they do soles but their service is quite good.
rt1

Cobbler?

Postby Boon on Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:41 pm

Can anyone recommend a good cobbler for resoling hiking boots? A shop here on the central coast would be preferred, but a good mail-order shop would also be helpful. Thanks for your help.
Boon

Return to Gear & Gadgets