Forums
Ventana Wilderness Forums • View topic - Are there awesome anti-tick pants?

Are there awesome anti-tick pants?

This is the place to talk about the tools & toys that make for easy living in the backcountry.

Moderators: Betsy M, dknapp1

Re: Are there awesome anti-tick pants?

Postby Steve B on Wed May 04, 2016 9:22 am

I started taking a multi vitamin a few years ago and I have not had a tick bite since I started taking the vitamins. I read somewhere that ticks and other insects are repelled by B complex vitamins. I volunteer in the wilderness and I am often covered with ticks but they don’t bite. Maybe vitamins only make expensive urine and are only a placebo but I plan to continue believing that it makes a difference. In the mean time I continue to pull ticks out of others.
Steve B

Postby steveu on Wed Feb 17, 2016 10:28 am

With high top boots you just tuck your pants in the boot in the military it's whats called blousing the boot, my experience with ticks is not much when I stay on the trail it's when I have gone bushwhacking that they have attacked me, the whole idea is keep them on their upward travel, picking them off as you see them, all these ideas mentioned work, and don't forget the Deet
steveu

Postby LBehrmann on Sat Feb 13, 2016 6:57 pm

Gaiters, yes. I recently bought some but my car got stolen with them inside. I was thinking of using them for grassy areas where the grass seeds get into my socks. Tucking my pants into my socks doesn't work well because my socks don't stick up much higher than my Danner boots. What size do you use? I got some short ones, instead if the larger sizes. I did once have some thin but lined snow pants which zipped over the boots, and were not too sweaty, but I wore them out. I think in Summer they would be too hot.

On the subject of removal, do you like good tweezers? Last time I wore a safety pin so I could get under the jaws, but tweezers might be easier.

Thanks
LBehrmann

Postby fat popi on Sat Feb 13, 2016 10:44 am

Im always a lil surprised when I see people NOT wearing gaiters,esp anywhere off that first 10 miles of pine ridge,even then,id suggest wearing them.
I got mine after an extremely close call with a "silent"rattler,. No need taking chaces.
The fact that they seem to repel,deflect ticks is an added bonus.
Do gaiters look cool? Im not sure,but that would be the last reason to wear them,fo sure.
Im always amazed at how many ticks live in redwood duff.

How many ticks r out there? Its not uncommon on a avg day to pull 100-300 off Bandito. Amazingly abundant.
fat popi

Postby RSIBryce on Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:20 pm

Light colored pants are nice to make spotting ticks easier while hiking. I started using gaiters in heavier brush areas and that seems to help tremendously.

I've read about treating clothing with deet or other insecticides such as permethrin which is suppose to deter them from hanging around too long. Never went that far myself. There's some non-toxic more natural remedies out there, I hear rose-geranium and cedar wood oils are found to be successful at keeping ticks at bay... I may have to do some experimentation..
RSIBryce

Postby mikesplain on Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:53 pm

I've heard of some success using rain pants & gaiters, but this could be awfully hot unless they're constructed of very breathable material.

Also, in my experience, ticks definitely congregate in chamise aka grease wood (Adenostoma fasciculatum) in winter, but I've seen the worst infestations in deerweed (Acmispon glaber), sometimes even as late as early summer.
http://www.calflora.org/cgi-bin/species ... cnum=11280
mikesplain

Postby steveu on Fri Feb 12, 2016 6:48 am

Speaking of ticks here is the greasewood plant I been told they like to hang out on this plant
Attachments
002.JPG
steveu

Postby emperor norton on Thu Feb 11, 2016 5:59 pm

I have found the best way is just tuck your pants in your socks, you do look kind of geeky doing so, if you want to look cool gaiters work good also
emperor norton

Are there awesome anti-tick pants?

Postby LBehrmann on Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:29 pm

How about tactical pants? Something you can zip over your boot, and also they can't get a grip on the material.
LBehrmann

Return to Gear & Gadgets