Forums
Ventana Wilderness Forums • View topic - Good shirt(s) for trailwork?

Good shirt(s) for trailwork?

This is the place to talk about the tools & toys that make for easy living in the backcountry.

Moderators: Betsy M, dknapp1

Re: Good shirt(s) for trailwork?

Postby LBehrmann on Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:18 am

riatch,

You know, you are right. I wanted to write back because I do think it is great and it is recycling to find things at thrift stores! I am all for that because I am somewhat anti-consumerist. Maybe for hiking a good shirt could be an investment, however with trail work, depending on the vegetation, a shirt you don't mind getting torn up would be best. Anyway, thanks!
LBehrmann

Postby LBehrmann on Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:35 pm

Yes, I do like thrift stores, etc. Here in Grover Beach, CA, the stores aren't exactly teeming with Capilene tee shirts, etc., but I did find a good windbreaker. I have been improvising and even using cotton clothes for decades, but now I feel like getting the exact items I need to optimize my hiking and backpacking trips.

PANTS? I have used Dickies work pants for hiking, but also what basically amounts to thin snow pants (if not too hot out), which have a slick nylon shell and some kind of synthetic liner. I'm going to invest in non-cotton briefs, lol.

EDIT: Yes, I looked and usually you don't have to spend $75 because you can hunt the Web for items discounted. $50 is still a lot, but if it helps me stay comfortable and lasts 5 years, it is worth it.
LBehrmann

Postby riatch on Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:43 pm

I've had decent luck finding excellent shirts for the trail (and trailwork) at thrift stores like Goodwill, Salvation Army and St. Vincent de Paul. They might be godawful colors. I feel better spending $7.50 for a shirt that I'm going to beat up than $75. You can find cheap base layer shirts at these stores as well ... usually adorned with some godawful logo. Lately I've been using a stainless steel water bottle I got at Goodwill for $2.50. It has the Post Ranch Inn logo on it which cracks me up.
riatch

Postby Blarneyguy on Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:17 am

Yep, my usual three-season (or warm winter day) kit is a short-sleeve tech poly base layer (say, Patagonia Capilene Silkweight or equivalent), with a long-sleeve tech poly or nylon collared shirt over it (the Mtn. Hardwear Canyon is a good example).

This allows comfort in most conditions; sun/bug protection; and the ability to chuck the outer shirt should things get really hot (within reason, re: sun protection).

REI's technical trail line can get you equivalent quality at less cost than Patagonia or Mtn. Hardwear; all three tend to show up frequently in my wardrobe. Durability for trailwork/bushwhacking is not an issue with these three; one could likely find similar-quality products (and I have) from, say, North Face or Ex Officio

I tend to think that wool is hot to hike in except on winter days; and cotton of course ist verboten. I prefer two light layers next to skin, with shell/insulation layers making up the warmth deficit at stops.
Blarneyguy

Postby mikesplain on Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:21 am

Not really one for product endorsements,
but I've had good experiences with Mtn Hardware's "canyon shirt"-
tough enough to hold up in dense chaparral & well-ventilated.
A synthetic base-layer t-shirt (capilene for instance) completes the package;
rumor has it that VWA Trail Crew leaders may even give you one if you're a regular....
mikesplain

Good shirt(s) for trailwork?

Postby LBehrmann on Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:18 am

And hiking?

Howdy, so for years my gear has been used, made, bought second hand, etc. and I found reasonable items to use. However, now I can afford to aquire quality durable items for years of use.

So, for a long time I have used a wool shirt my friend found at a thrift store in Portland, OR (and gave to me for free). It is something called a Pendleton Woolen Mills. It is virgin wool. It works well for hiking because it keeps me warm while I sweat, but it was always a little small, and somehow it shrank a little more, and now the sleeves are way too short. The only other factor is if I hike for 3 hours or something it gets so sweaty I almost need another one to change into. I get pretty sweaty while hiking so I usually unbutton the front of the shirt almost all the way for ventilation if the trail is clear enough. So maybe I need another layer underneath for those hkes. I saw on Ebay "vintage" wool shirts, so I may try that route and get one that fits. I also use a windbreaker for a top layer if it gets chilly.

So what do you all use for trailwork and hiking? A certain layering system, wool, synthetic? (no cotton of course)

Thanks,

Leif
LBehrmann

Return to Gear & Gadgets