Forums
Ventana Wilderness Forums • View topic - Bushwacking gear.

Bushwacking gear.

This is the place to talk about the tools & toys that make for easy living in the backcountry.

Moderators: Betsy M, dknapp1

Re: Bushwacking gear.

Postby fedak on Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:15 am

I used to have a pair of Pategonia kevlar trail pants that were absolutely perfect for VW bushwacking.

Unfortunately I was wearing them when I broke my ankle and they had to be cut off. :(
Pategonia doens't make them anymore and most kevlar clothing is geared for motorcyclists and far to heavy to use as trail pants.
John Fedak
http://www.fedak.net/backcountry.html
fedak

Postby scratchy on Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:53 am

Rather than get overheated, shorts. This method only works for 1 day. The 2nd day of bushwakking is too painful,long pants are required for a second day of pain. Gloves are a VERY good idea. Immunity to Poison Oak is almost a requirement.
I read about one die-hard x-country virutoso who wears/wore Kevlar pants. Long sleeve shirt is a very good idea. Don't bring a machete, or loppers or other cutting device, it will only slow your progress (and that won't be much).

"I don't know what frighten me more, the brush, or our endless ability to endure it".. Gregory Roberts?
scratchy

Postby rt1 on Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:19 pm

I wear OR gaiters while hiking in the ventana, whether I'm wearing shorts or pants. As for a pack, I've found climbing packs to be the toughest since they're designed to be dragged up rock faces. I have the Black Diamond Mission 75 and it's held up under some serious Ventana brush.
rt1

Bushwacking gear.

Postby justin_baker on Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:00 pm

What do you guys use for bushwacking in the Ventana?
Do you find that average hiking clothing will withstand the abuse? It's hard to find hiking clothing that is really tough. Sometimes I find myself wearing shorts during light bushwacking (along creeks and such) to minimize the wear on my other clothing, only putting on pants when really necessary.
Do you wear heavy duty gaiters?
What are you favorite packs or pack materials for bushwacking?
justin_baker

Previous

Return to Gear & Gadgets