Forums
Ventana Wilderness Forums • View topic - Bear Deterrents: Guns vs. Bear Spray.

Bear Deterrents: Guns vs. Bear Spray.

This is the place to talk about the tools & toys that make for easy living in the backcountry.

Moderators: Betsy M, dknapp1

Re: Bear Deterrents: Guns vs. Bear Spray.

Postby Alaska on Sat Dec 28, 2013 6:19 pm

Only about 1 person a year is killed by a bear in this country, VS about 7,000 PER DAY that die of other causes. I would carry neither bear gun nor bear spray in CA.

I agree, however, that bear spray is usually a much better choice and is safer for people and bears!
Alaska

Postby ManOwar on Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:22 pm

I have heard that it is a statistical fact that owning a gun makes you more likely to get shot.
ManOwar

Postby aardvark on Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:11 pm

I recommend bottle rockets for distant bears, and firecrackers for nearby bears.

- The Aardvark
aardvark

Bear Deterrents: Guns vs. Bear Spray.

Postby Carl Mounteer on Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:39 pm

Here are some interesting facts from biologist Tom Smith in the March, 2013 issue of Backpacker Magazine (p. 64) on the efficacy of bear spray vs. guns in deterring bears:

According to Mr. Smith this was the subject of a paper he published last year in The Journal of Wildlife Management. In 133 bear-human encounters involving bear spray, only three people received injuries, all of which were minor injuries. But in 269 incidents of using guns to deter bears, 17 people died along with "hundreds of dead bears".
Carl Mounteer

Return to Gear & Gadgets