Forums
Ventana Wilderness Forums • View topic - Duplicates in the Wilderness Trails Forum

Duplicates in the Wilderness Trails Forum

This is the place to post your question about the new forums and ask for help or additional features.

Moderators: dknapp1, Betsy M

Re: Duplicates in the Wilderness Trails Forum

Postby Jim Ringland on Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:50 am

Amy, thank you for cleaning this up.
Jim Ringland

Postby gfelsman on Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:12 pm

Amy:

Just one other suggestion.

In the Vicente Flat Trail, under the description add a link to the Kirk Creek Trail. Then under the Kirk Creek Trail add a link to the Vicente Flat Trail. It helps minimize the clicking to get the proper trail report.

Thanks,

Gary Felsman
gfelsman

Postby amy patten on Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:48 pm

Hi Jim,
Thanks for letting us know about this! I changed the titles of the Vicente Flat and Kirk Creek threads to clarify. The new thread titles are:
-Kirk Creek Trail (Highway One to Vicente Flat Camp)
-Vicente Flat Trail (Cone Peak Road to Vicente Flat Camp)

I also added more information to the descriptions at the start of both threads, but unfortunately I can't "sticky" the posts to stay at the top of the thread and the Kirk Creek description is buried under several pages of posts.

Hopefully this will clear up some of the confusion!
amy patten

Postby Jim Ringland on Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:24 pm

Thank you for the adjustments, but there is still just a bit of work remaining on the Kirk Creek / Vicente Flat pair.

Looking at the trail descriptions on the site's trails page, I see the intent is to make the Vicente Flat Trail represent the section from Vicente Flat Camp up to the Cone Peak Road and the Kirk Creek Trail represent the section from Vicente Flat Camp down to Highway 1. (See http://www.ventanawild.org/trails/ventana-wilderness-trails/vicente-flat-trail and http://www.ventanawild.org/trails/ventana-wilderness-trails/kirk-creek-trail That's a perfectly reasonable distinction that conforms, I gather, to Forest Service nomenclature (separate trails 4E17 and 4E13). It makes sense for using the site too: many hike only one segment or the other.

Unfortunately, right now reports for both sections are in the Kirk Creek Trail thread, and the trail description in the earliest entry of that thread suggests the Kirk Creek Trail goes all the way up to the Cone Peak Road. There's no trail description in the new Vicente Flat Trail thread. That's all bound to sow confusion when new reports start coming in or when somebody goes looking for reports.

May I suggest the names be expanded to clarify the difference. Maybe Kirk Creek Trail (below Vicente Flat) and Vicente Flat Trail (above Vicente Flat). Perhaps you or someone else here can come up with something better. Then correct the description for the Kirk Creek Trail and add one for the Vicente Flat Trail.

I hate to sound so officious about all this, but I really would like to have this done cleanly so in the future folks can find the trail reports on this, one of the area's best trails, without too much fuss.
Jim Ringland

Postby VWA Admin on Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:07 pm

Hi Jim,
We made a few changes on the Forum in response to your post:
- The posts from the "Vicente Flat Trail (Girard Trail, Kirk Creek Trail)" topic were moved to the Kirk Creek thread. There is still a separate thread for Vicente Flat.
- The Coast Ridge Trail posts were moved into the North Coast Ridge Trail thread to match the naming convention we use on the Trails page on the website.
-The empty Ventana Double Cone Trail thread was deleted.

Thanks again for letting us know about these issues!
VWA Admin

Postby VWA Admin on Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:49 pm

Thanks for pointing this out. While the list of trails on the VWA site is concise and free of duplicates, we have some cleanup to do on the Forum side.
VWA Admin

Duplicates in the Wilderness Trails Forum

Postby Jim Ringland on Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:42 am

With pantilat's latest entry for the North Coast Ridge Trail, it's clear some cleanup is needed over in the Wilderness Trails Forum. Over the winter, a bunch of new trails were added to the list. That good, but in the process some duplicates crept in. Best to merge and remove them before we end up with information on the same trail scattered about different places. Here are the ones I see:

- Kirk Creek Trail / Vicente Flat Trail / Vicente Flat Trail (Girard Trail, Kirk Creek Trail). These three are the same thing. Right now all the reports are under the last.

- Coast Ridge Trail / North Coast Ridge Trail. I like the specificity of the latter to separate it from the South Coast Ridge Road, but all the reports, save pantilat's, are in the former.

- Ventana Double Cone Trail. 2 identically named entries. One for each cone?
Jim Ringland

Return to Forum Help