Forums
Ventana Wilderness Forums • View topic - Getting Something done

Getting Something done

This is the place to post your question about the new forums and ask for help or additional features.

Moderators: dknapp1, Betsy M

Re: Getting Something done

Postby lori on Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:15 am

Highway 1 is closed from the north and the south, due to multiple rockfalls and one of the bridges being completely unrepairable -- the construction has started on a new bridge. Naciemento Fergusson was also closed due to road damage which has been repaired.

https://bigsurkate.wordpress.com/
http://www.dot.ca.gov/cgi-bin/roads.cgi ... mit=Search

Trail crews also do not work in dangerous conditions. Like muddy steep slides -- things need to dry out.

It's going to take a while for the highway to be repaired, and that kind of road damage was not present in 2009. Nor was 2009 the wettest year on record -- the cycle of storms has been unrelenting. It makes zero sense to do much work on trails until the storms stop coming. It's looking like that may be starting to be true -- forecasts are promising.
lori

Postby AdamW on Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:08 pm

I've been very out of the loop and someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but in 2009 most of the MRD re-opened in May following the Basin Complex Fire from 2008. My guess is that this year much of the MRD will open around that time but many areas or trails are likely to remain closed due to extensive damage. I know it sounds nice if everything opened anyway, but I'm sure Search and Rescue would not look forward to a daily rescue of hikers falling off the Pine Ridge Trail from a premature opening of the trail.
AdamW

Postby lori on Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:58 am

What makes you think nothing is being done?

The forest service is a bureaucracy. There is a procedure for this sort of thing that they are following. It includes sending people out to survey trails and roads to determine what needs to be done. They've already opened Naciemento Ferguson and some of the trails have reopened. Check the website or call the forest service for information. Large part of the problem is the rain, which causes even more damage then was there before. Lots of road repairs to make as you can see if you pay attention to Big Sur Kate's blog or the Caltrans website.
lori

Getting Something done

Postby jeffbigsur on Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:53 pm

Hello Forum Help. I hope some help can be taken to get back in the backcountry. I wonder if the difference between the fire of last July and the Rains of this season are different. If they are might we be able to entice the superiors to be able to get back into the critical mess and get the forest open? :roll:
jeffbigsur

Return to Forum Help