Forums
Ventana Wilderness Forums • View topic - The new forum layout

The new forum layout

This is the place to post your question about the new forums and ask for help or additional features.

Moderators: Betsy M, dknapp1

Re: The new forum layout

Postby VWA Admin on Fri Dec 02, 2016 2:15 pm

Thank you for taking the time to share your insights on the new Forum look and feel. See our responses set off by *****.

First, on the Forum Home page and any page below that in the hierarchy that lists sub-forums, the forum/sub-forum titles are in a thin font and use a color that does not contrast strongly with the background. Descriptions are in boldface and darker. This makes the descriptions much more readily seen than the titles, which seems the wrong way around.

***** Agreed. We will make this change.

On forum/sub-forum pages that list individual threads, thread titles are in bold -- better -- but still use a light, lower-contrast color. It would be very nice if forum and thread titles on the listing pages were all in a nice dark, easy-to-see color, and all were bold. Doing so would guide the eye to the most important part of each entry, the title, more effectively.

***** Agreed. We will make this change.

Second, all the listing pages are double spaced and overall there is lots and lots of white space. (Only the actual threads and posts use single spacing.) In general white space is good, but it comes at the cost of having to scroll more to scan though the lists. I think the current design just takes the white space ideal too far. I'd vote for compacting things vertically a bit if possible.

***** We will look into this and see what we can or cannot do. Thanks again!
VWA Admin

The new forum layout

Postby Jim Ringland on Sat Nov 26, 2016 5:45 pm

The new forum layout has been up about a month now and I've been slowly getting used to it. Two things make the design seem less effective than it might. Let me toss this out and see if others have similar -- or opposite! -- reactions.

First, on the Forum Home page and any page below that in the hierarchy that lists sub-forums, the forum/sub-forum titles are in a thin font and use a color that does not contrast strongly with the background. Descriptions are in boldface and darker. This makes the descriptions much more readily seen than the titles, which seems the wrong way around. On forum/sub-forum pages that list individual threads, thread titles are in bold -- better -- but still use a light, lower-contrast color. It would be very nice if forum and thread titles on the listing pages were all in a nice dark, easy-to-see color, and all were bold. Doing so would guide the eye to the most important part of each entry, the title, more effectively.

Second, all the listing pages are double spaced and overall there is lots and lots of white space. (Only the actual threads and posts use single spacing.) In general white space is good, but it comes at the cost of having to scroll more to scan though the lists. I think the current design just takes the white space ideal too far. I'd vote for compacting things vertically a bit if possible.

I don't know how much of this is do-able. If VWA is using a potted design supplied by a third party, maybe nothing. But if you can get into the CSS, the first and some things on the second would be easy tweaks.
Jim Ringland

Return to Forum Help