Forums
Ventana Wilderness Forums • View topic - trail food

trail food

This is the Wilderness marketplace.

Re: trail food

Postby steveu on Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:03 pm

good info Thanxs, I don't like fighting mother nature, when I go, will go out of the route you suggest.
steveu

Postby jonl on Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:17 am

Plenty of open space for camping on top. NEarest water is downslope from the saddle that is on the trail to the north of peak just before you go around the backside for final "ascent". Go down slope to east through the big pines, you will eventually come to some cedars and there is usually a good trickle there. If not keep going down till you find water.

As far as hiking from Arroyo Seco goes, the trail is not passable; at least from the top of Eagle Creek past Ant Camp and across the Roosevelt Creek headwaters to the JS Saddle.. We did it two years ago and it was without doubt the most difficult brush bashing I have ever done. There is a landslide to traverse at the head of Roosevelt Creek that is dangerous to cross; very steep face.

From Arroyo Seco you'd have to hike the Hanging Valley route on the old road bed. It would be nuch faster to drive to The Indians (aka Memorial PArk) and hike up the Junipero Serra trail (6 Miles).
jonl

Postby steveu on Sat Jun 09, 2012 7:50 am

Oh that peak, I've been thinking about a summit trip, hiking out of Arroyo seco, any tips, you mentioned sunset I assume there is camping at the top, nearest water?
steveu

Postby jonl on Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:39 am

aka Junipero Serra Peak.

A proposal has been made to change its name to one of the original native American names rather than being named after the padre who was responsible for decimating the native population. Following is from The Milpitas Special Interest Area Collaborative Management Plan, USFS, February 6, 2012:

Milpitas SIA Collaborative
Management Plan Page 10
Opportunity: Rename Junipero Serra Peak.
Possible Actions – Settle on an appropriate name that would be agreeable to the majority of Salinans and others; for example, choose Santa Lucia Peak or a Salinan name such as Pimlokam or Stavok’ale; Go through the U.S. Board on Geographic Names or Congress to accomplish the change of names.
jonl

Postby steveu on Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:20 pm

I don't drink but you could tell me more about this pimkolem? place
steveu

Postby jonl on Sun Jun 03, 2012 6:11 pm

Steve, sounds good but there is one thing they do not have for a lovely sunset from the top of Pimkalom:
http://www.bushmills.com/whiskeys
jonl

trail food

Postby steveu on Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:54 am

just a plug for my favorite trail food, at [www.PackitGourmet.com/url]
steveu

Return to For Sale, Barter or Trade